[CHRISTIAN ESSAYS] Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays, by George Wood Anderson - loa

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AbigailWK wrote: April 28th, 2024, 3:21 pm
silverquill wrote: April 27th, 2024, 4:36 pm
AbigailWK wrote: April 27th, 2024, 2:45 pm Thank you so much! :9: I just finished reading for this section! Please do let me know what you think and if there are any edits that need to be made! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_Section_6_-_The_Ages_to_Come_-_AbigailWK.mp3

Abigail
Well, it's a start. But, I am asking you to do a few things before I sent this to our proof listener. I'm puzzled by the file name you came up with and the lack of introduction and ending, all of which are clearly given in the instructions. You will find these in the initial post of every project, so it is important to look for them. The format is fairly standard, but will have different information for each project. I'll copy them here for your reference:

====

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays, by George Wood Anderson. Chapter Title."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: unfinishedrainbows_##_anderson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. unfinishedrainbows_01_anderson_128kb.mp3)

===

Here are some things to correct:

Silence at the beginning is fine, but we need five seconds at the end. I usually let the recording run extra at both beginning and end, then trim accordingly, listening for extraneous noises that might creep into my silence, like mouse clicks, etc. that I can cut.

Then, please record the intro, as given above, and also the "outro" at the end of the chapter leaving the appropriate silences.

Then, copy ad past the file name, as above, including the leading zero as given in the example.

Upload the file again and post the link again with the new file length as mm:ss

Your volume is fine as are all other tech specs!!

There is quite a bit of reverb, or "hollow room" effect in your recording. So, you might want to think about your recording set up and space down the road, but these are less important things than those mentioned here.
My apologies for the mix ups here! I noticed my mistakes after I completed another recording this afternoon . :( Please find the edited version of the recording here! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_unfinishedrainbows_6_anderson_128kb_mp3.mp3
Well, second try still falls short, I'm afraid. I tried to be very clear in repeating the instructions above, but you still have many things to correct. Please, please review them again.

Here is what I notice right away.

"Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning."

Now you have FIVE seconds at the beginning. Only at the end do we need five seconds.

Then, copy ad past the file name, as above, including the leading zero as given in the example.

There is an extra underscore in the file name, and the leading zero is not used.

It should be: unfinishedrainbows_03_anderson_128kb
Do NOT add the .mp3 extension when uploading because this is added automatically in the uploading process. So, what you ended up with is this being duplicated.

I do not see the file length included, as requested.

Finally, there is one reading error to correct. Although there is no standard way to pronounce LibriVox (The "i" can be long our short or "ee" what I hear is Library Vox. (I use the short "i" sound, many use the "ee" sound, or a combination. Rarely the long "i" is used for the first syllable. So you will need to change that in the intro, whatever you choose.

So, pleas give this another go, before I post it for a full proof listening.

~ Larry
mwinn

Post by mwinn »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mwinn wrote: April 29th, 2024, 11:11 am Section 04 is ready for PL

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_04_anderson_128kb.mp3 10:11
Thank you!
I've put this in the MW Ready for PL

~ Larry
mwinn

Post by mwinn »

silverquill wrote: April 29th, 2024, 12:07 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_04_anderson_128kb.mp3 10:11
Thank you!
I've put this in the MW Ready for PL
Enjoyed it, thank you, I would gladly do another section
AbigailWK

Post by AbigailWK »

silverquill wrote: April 28th, 2024, 8:34 pm
silverquill wrote: April 27th, 2024, 4:36 pm

Well, it's a start. But, I am asking you to do a few things before I sent this to our proof listener. I'm puzzled by the file name you came up with and the lack of introduction and ending, all of which are clearly given in the instructions. You will find these in the initial post of every project, so it is important to look for them. The format is fairly standard, but will have different information for each project. I'll copy them here for your reference:

====

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays, by George Wood Anderson. Chapter Title."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: unfinishedrainbows_##_anderson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. unfinishedrainbows_01_anderson_128kb.mp3)

===

Here are some things to correct:

Silence at the beginning is fine, but we need five seconds at the end. I usually let the recording run extra at both beginning and end, then trim accordingly, listening for extraneous noises that might creep into my silence, like mouse clicks, etc. that I can cut.

Then, please record the intro, as given above, and also the "outro" at the end of the chapter leaving the appropriate silences.

Your volume is fine as are all other tech specs!!

There is quite a bit of reverb, or "hollow room" effect in your recording. So, you might want to think about your recording set up and space down the road, but these are less important things than those mentioned here.
My apologies for the mix ups here! I noticed my mistakes after I completed another recording this afternoon . :( Please find the edited version of the recording here! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_unfinishedrainbows_6_anderson_128kb_mp3.mp3
Well, second try still falls short, I'm afraid. I tried to be very clear in repeating the instructions above, but you still have many things to correct. Please, please review them again.

"Intro to recording:

Now you have FIVE seconds at the beginning. Only at the end do we need five seconds.

There is an extra underscore in the file name, and the leading zero is not used.

Do NOT add the .mp3 extension when uploading because this is added automatically in the uploading process. So, what you ended up with is this being duplicated.

Finally, there is one reading error to correct. Although there is no standard way to pronounce LibriVox (The "i" can be long our short or "ee" what I hear is Library Vox. (I use the short "i" sound, many use the "ee" sound, or a combination. Rarely the long "i" is used for the first syllable. So you will need to change that in the intro, whatever you choose.

My apologies again. :( Please find the newly edited version here. https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_06_anderson_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AbigailWK wrote: April 29th, 2024, 2:39 pm
My apologies again. :( Please find the newly edited version here. https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_06_anderson_128kb.mp3
Well, this is still not totally correct as you have repeated part of the introduction which will have to be edited out.
And, again, you did not provide the file length as in the instructions and requested in my two previous feedbacks.

Could you please provide that as mm:ss

But, this is now close enough that I am posting it Ready for PL.
M will give you a full report and let you know exactly what still needs correction.

Thanks so much for working on this. :thumbs:

There is a lot to learn here at the beginning, but we want you to get off to a good start. Soon these things will become familiar and second nature as you continue to record. It does get easier, and we're glad you're here. :)

~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:47 pm
petegordon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:01 pm I found my external USB mic. Here is the recording of Chapter 3 redone with USB mic. Thanks!

12:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_03_anderson_128kb.mp3
This is fine!
I've put it in the MW Ready for PL.

Sounds much better. You will need to trim the silences at the beginning and end, and there's a mike bump near the end, but our DPL will give you a full report.

Thank you for working on this!
Notes for section 3:
please delete about 3 seconds at the start so there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence.
6:12 please delete "impro" and the extra silence after " when disaster would" as it is corrected immediately following
please delete about 2 seconds at the end so there are around 5 seconds of silence.

I suggest that when you shorten the beginning and ending silence that you cut out the noisier parts
I suggest that you move further away from the microphone/not speak directly into it to reduce the plosives in future recordings.

Good job for a first recording. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Very interesting chapter and very nicely read too. This is PL OK.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks,

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

silverquill wrote: April 28th, 2024, 8:34 pm

"Intro to recording:

Thanks for working on this. There are still several issues with the recording. Here are the changes that need to be made including the one listed above regarding the pronunciation of LibriVox.

"Finally, there is one reading error to correct. Although there is no standard way to pronounce LibriVox (The "i" can be long our short or "ee" what I hear is Library Vox. (I use the short "i" sound, many use the "ee" sound, or a combination. Rarely the long "i" is used for the first syllable. So you will need to change that in the intro, whatever you choose."

should be "chapter 6 of unfinished..." not "chapter 62"
0:26 "chapter 62" and the repeat of the introduction
0:46 please insert chapter title "THE AGES TO COME" after "chapter 6"
1:55 please insert "drudgery" or it may just be too quiet to hear, in "To him work never became drudgery, "
1:59 can hardly hear "while even the " in "while even the most commonplace incident "
3:06 the word "coral" is repeated, please delete one of them
4:23 please insert "instead of" in "instead of losing the dew"
4:38 please insert "so that" in "so that every second of time"
4:50 please insert "when" in "When one possesses this conception"
5:00 first part of the word "drudgery" is too quiet to hear easily
6:02 "in the" in "In the low-browed man" is too quiet to hear without a lot of effort
6:54 it is hard to hear "It is " in "It is impossible for us to escape sorrow. "
7:15 extra "for" between "our side" and "by" in "lured from our side by the hand of death."
8:30 please insert "and because we also are the children of eternity, they are still our own, " after "passed from time into eternity" and before "and we shall see them once again" also in the above please change the "you" to "we" in "and we shall see them once again"
8:38 please insert "when, by divine aid, one crowds eternal significance into his days, and works, not for himself, but for “the ages to come.”" after "that comes into every human life"
9:26 should be "an unconquerable embarrassment" not "an incurable embarrassment"
10:02 can hardly hear " has been" in " has been the force"
there is also high level of noise throughout your reading. I don't know what your setup is but I suggest you play around with it to see if you can reduce that noise for future recordings.

Please make the above listed changes and resubmit. Or, if you prefer, you can redo the whole recording. Once the corrections are made it should be PL OK.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, we do have some serious issues here, Abigail.
Our DPL has spent an inordinate amount of time in proof listening and writing extensive notes.

I haven't been able to listen to all of this, but I will.

It seems to me that it might be best if you do an entirely new recording, paying attention to all of the notes. Those places where something can't be heard may be when you physically back away from the microphone. I did notice this on one of your versions. Background noise is a different issue. You may need to run noise reduction. We do have some good tutorials available, but if you need help let me know.

But, then there are all of the reading issues -- omitted words and phrases, or repeats.

AFTER you are finished with recording and any preliminary editing you might do, PLEASE listen again to the recording from beginning to end, following along with the printed text, in order to catch any other errors you might have missed, and correct them before submitting. It is not the proof listener's job to do you editing for you. Our PL is just to check any small thing that might have slipped by.

Let me know if you have questions about this process. We want to see you get off to a good start.
I'll also send you a private message later, so be on the lookout for that.

~ Larry
petegordon

Post by petegordon »

mleigh wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:06 pm
petegordon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:01 pm I found my external USB mic. Here is the recording of Chapter 3 redone with USB mic. Thanks!

12:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_03_anderson_128kb.mp3
This is fine!

Sounds much better. You will need to trim the silences at the beginning and end, and there's a mike bump near the end, but our DPL will give you a full report.

Notes for section 3:
please delete about 3 seconds at the start so there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence.
6:12 please delete "impro" and the extra silence after " when disaster would" as it is corrected immediately following
please delete about 2 seconds at the end so there are around 5 seconds of silence.

I suggest that when you shorten the beginning and ending silence that you cut out the noisier parts
I suggest that you move further away from the microphone/not speak directly into it to reduce the plosives in future recordings.

Thanks,

M
Thank you. I believe I have made all of the edits.
12:31
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

petegordon wrote: May 1st, 2024, 4:31 pm
Thank you!
Ready for Spot PL

~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

petegordon wrote: May 1st, 2024, 4:31 pm
mleigh wrote: April 29th, 2024, 7:06 pm

This is fine!

Notes for section 3:

Thanks,

M
All the fixes are great. You should have, however, used the same filename you used to upload the first time.
unfinishedrainbows_03_anderson_128kb.

Could you please fix.

Thanks,

M
mummibee

Post by mummibee »

Could I please take sections 8 & 9?
Belinda
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mummibee wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 3:46 am Could I please take sections 8 & 9?
Most assuredly!
Thank you

~ Larry