Grettir the Outlaw by Sabine Baring-Gould

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
UncleGeorge

Post by UncleGeorge »

Curious if anyone is planning to record Grettir the Outlaw by Sabine Baring-Gould. I'm thinking of recording it myself, as all I see are snippets of it from other books. I have a PD copy (a facsimile from Scholar Select, which looks like it might be a good source for PD books). It's such a fun book, though probably not one that's thought too highly of by people who might want a more pure translation of the saga.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

UncleGeorge wrote: May 1st, 2024, 10:10 am Curious if anyone is planning to record Grettir the Outlaw by Sabine Baring-Gould. I'm thinking of recording it myself, as all I see are snippets of it from other books. I have a PD copy (a facsimile from Scholar Select, which looks like it might be a good source for PD books). It's such a fun book, though probably not one that's thought too highly of by people who might want a more pure translation of the saga.
If you want a guaranteed acceptable source, there's a version on Project Gutenberg at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/48622. I'm not sure Scholar Select is a reputable source; I can't even find a website under that name, just some "buyer beware" notes about it on Reddit.

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
UncleGeorge

Post by UncleGeorge »

Thanks. I appreciate that. The copy I have is good (and only $5 U.S.), but it might be just one that came out well, while others might not be. It doesn't seem to be missing any pages so far, but I haven't finished it yet. I just prefer print copies over digital.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

The MCs might not accept a hard copy that is in any way questionable, and I believe your proof listener might need an online version to refer to. But you could always compare the online version to your print copy to make sure it matches before you start reading.
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

UncleGeorge wrote: May 1st, 2024, 3:16 pm Thanks. I appreciate that. The copy I have is good (and only $5 U.S.), but it might be just one that came out well, while others might not be. It doesn't seem to be missing any pages so far, but I haven't finished it yet. I just prefer print copies over digital.
For a hard copy, please take a scan or photo of the title page and copyright page (usually the page right after the title page). Put the two files in a Zip file, and upload them to . . . use my uploader folder. We'll take a look at it and make sure it's an edition we can use.
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.