( solo) Argonauts of the Western Pacific by Bronisław Malinowski-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

My approach to footnotes has always been
"see page 651" leave out
" see Smith - X journal vol 35 xxii" leave out
If it is of the text - " Wielding his mugwump " with a footnote saying "mugwump - Malay word for rolling pin" I'd say " Wielding his mugwump " in normal voice, pause slightly and say"rolling pin"
So if it explains an uncommon word I'd say it , if it was a reference I'd leave it out

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I was asking more about whether I can pick and choose which footnore to read, based on whether I find them interesting (i.e read one which I find interesting, then skip another which I find boring).
Also, thanks for the examples because I'm thinking about reading a short introduction-type text for a collection, and your post has given me some guidelines.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Next section is in.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

section 3 is OK. Anne
Their family trees would be interesting - everyone would be some degree of cousin to everyone else, pity there were not DNA studies then - it would be really interesting.
Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Section 2 OK :thumbs:
Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

section 4 OK :thumbs: It's really interesting. When you've finished I must listen again with a map - I sort of knew they existed but they are very small.

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Chapter 4 has been uploaded. In fact twice, including once under the wrong title which means that I'll need to ask you to fish in your folder for chapter 3 (Essentials of the Kula) and restore it. I can't re-upload it because I think I've overwritten the file I had on my hard drive :roll:

Once you've managed to clean up this mess, I suggest you read along when PLing, despite this being ordinary PL otherwise. This chapter has lots of subdivisions-within-subdivisions going on and there is a fragment where Malinowski constantly refers to his drawings of canoes and it'd be nice to see if I got this right or even if it's understandable at all.

EDIT: Actually, no, I didn't overwrite it on my hard drive. I've just remembered I had the original file saved with a different title. Still, re-uploading it would probably make things even more messy in your folder. So, overall, can you please check if it can be restored? Sorry...