Salutations from Atlanta, GA!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
mckrispee

Post by mckrispee »

Hi!

My name is Lyra (she/her), and I'm so excited to get started with Librivox. As a trans woman, I have a complicated relationship with my voice. When I have complicated relationships with parts of myself, I tend to deal with it by leaning into them heavily—in this case, using my voice, raw as she is, to record projects! This is a meaningful process for me.

I've also been aspiring to do VO work for a really long time, and I feel like this could be a great introduction, practice, and possibly even a way to build a bit of a reel. I fantasize about doing audiobooks as well as lending voices to characters in video games and other media.

Thank you all for this awesome community. I'm looking forward to making this a regular practice!

Best,
Lyra
vviera

Post by vviera »

mckrispee wrote: April 30th, 2024, 2:39 pm Hi!

My name is Lyra (she/her), and I'm so excited to get started with Librivox. As a trans woman, I have a complicated relationship with my voice. When I have complicated relationships with parts of myself, I tend to deal with it by leaning into them heavily—in this case, using my voice, raw as she is, to record projects! This is a meaningful process for me.

I've also been aspiring to do VO work for a really long time, and I feel like this could be a great introduction, practice, and possibly even a way to build a bit of a reel. I fantasize about doing audiobooks as well as lending voices to characters in video games and other media.

Thank you all for this awesome community. I'm looking forward to making this a regular practice!

Best,
Lyra
Welcome, Lyra! What an awesome way to "lean into" your voice! You couldn't have found a better place to do it. This is a friendly community that welcomes all voices. We all support each other in our continual journeys on Librivox!

I see you've already gotten an ok on your 1-minute test. If you haven’t yet seen it, take a look at the Newbie Guide to Recording. It will orient you further to the whole process.

With that test done, you can now browse the forums for a project you'd like to participate in. Most people start with a chapter in a book or some other short work. Post a claim for a section in the corresponding thread when you see something you'd like to record.

Any time you have a question, post in one of the forums, and someone will pop in to help you out.

Have fun!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA