[not PD]Heidi [Sequels], by Johanna Spyri

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

I noticed that we don't have the second and third 'Heidi' books, 'Heidi grows up' and 'Heidi's Children' by Johanna Spyri recorded on LibriVox. I do believe that they are in the PD. I have read all three books multiple times. I would love to be able to listen to the last two, though.
-Iona
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Have you a PD link for them (if you want them read in English the translation would need to be PD in the USA) Anne
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

That's because they were written by Charles Tritten (Johanna Spyri's translator), not Spyri herself, and not published until 1936 and 1939. So they won't be PD for another 8 and 11 years, respectively.

There are a few other Spyri novels on Librivox you could listen to instead while you're waiting.

Cheers,
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I needed to look it up - according to Wikipedia
Between 1933 and 1955, French publishing company Flammarion published a new edition of Heidi along with a series of new original sequels. Despite being all published under Johanna Spyri's name, this books were neither written nor endorsed by Spyri, but were adapted from her other works by her French translator, Charles Tritten in the 1930s and 1940s, many years after she died, while the last one was witten by Nathalie Gala.[26][27][28][29] The series is composed of a total of 7 books, 2 translated from Spyri's works and 5 original. Only two of them were published in English.
Anne
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

Winnifred wrote: April 30th, 2024, 5:10 pm That's because they were written by Charles Tritten (Johanna Spyri's translator), not Spyri herself, and not published until 1936 and 1939.
annise wrote: April 30th, 2024, 5:20 pm
Despite being all published under Johanna Spyri's name, these books were neither written nor endorsed by Spyri, but were adapted from her other works by her French translator, Charles Tritten in the 1930s and 1940s, many years after she died, while the last one was written by Nathalie Gala.
Thats right, I don't know why I didn't remember that! :roll:
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 2:48 pm Thats right, I don't know why I didn't remember that! :roll:
I had to look it up too.
Winnifred
From May 15-23, no access to Checker or to PL readings longer than 10 minutes

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
The First Sir Percy (Scarlet Pimpernel prequel)