[Solo] Lolly Willowes: or the loving huntsman by Sylvia Townsend Warner - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

Rapunzelina wrote: March 5th, 2024, 11:50 pm When you get a chance, send a clip with you speaking, to compare the sound difference. Maybe send a clip of the phrase you need to replace to see how different it sounds, and if I can suggest any editing effects to make it blend in better. I'm on the road today, I won't get to it until tomorrow. So, no hurry :D

PS, but otherwise yes, this level of background noise is fine, a light noise reduction pass should be enough :thumbs:
Here is the clip with the added edits. https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/Lukessa_test_2.mp3

It seems to me that I have to do so much noise reduction to get rid of the background noise that it starts to affect the audio quality of my performance and is very noticeable and it doesn't even get rid of the background noise completely. Some editing tips would definitely be appreciated if you know how to work around this.

Also thanks for the help by the way I really appreciate this.

-Sandy
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi Sandy! It turns out I don't have access to Audacity in this trip I'm on. But I can listen to your clip.
I think going forward, you don't need to do an aggressive noise reduction. It's better to have a little noise than affect the audio quality like you said. My settings, that I generally recommend, are "Noise Reduction": 10, "Sensitivity": 3 and "Smoothing": 2, but you may experiment with these settings to find what works best for your own setup.

In this particular clip to make it blend better, try the effect "Bass and Treble". It should be under menu Effects -> EQ and Filters -> Bass and Treble.
I can't experiment myself as I don't have audacity right now, but I would suggest to start with the following: select the newly added clip then go to effect Bass and Treble and enter or slide the slider to +3 for Bass, and -3 for Treble. Try these numbers to see how it affects the sound, then if needed try with other numbers if it makes it sound better.

I hope this helps!

Of course, feel free to post in the Need Help area for more opinions and advice :thumbs:
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

Hey Rapunzelina and Betsy,

Sorry I’ve been quiet recently. On top of this issues I was having with my mic I was offered a new job and am currently planning on moving and all the stuff that goes along with that so I’ve been preoccupied. I’m hoping to get back to work on this the start of April but I’ll make sure to keep you guys updated cuz I do definitely still plan on finishing this project!

Thanks for your patience. :)

-Sandy
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Exciting changes! I wish you all the best with your new job and house!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Lukessa wrote: March 18th, 2024, 12:40 pm Hey Rapunzelina and Betsy,
Sorry I’ve been quiet recently. On top of this issues I was having with my mic I was offered a new job and am currently planning on moving and all the stuff that goes along with that so I’ve been preoccupied. I’m hoping to get back to work on this the start of April but I’ll make sure to keep you guys updated cuz I do definitely still plan on finishing this project!
Thanks for your patience. :)
-Sandy
Oh gosh - moving is so much work! Be sure to take care of yourself in the middle of all this! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

Just as an update I haven’t been able to work on this but I still plan on doing this even if it means I won’t be able to get back to it until early May! I’ll keep you updated!

Sandy
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Sandy! Take care :9:
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

Ok. So, I went through and did the edits for both sections 2 and 3.

I need to mention that since I have moved I am now in a different reading environment. I did also go ahead and get a microphone upgrade (I no longer have the one I was previously using with me). With those said, the sounds quality is better but it is different. This matters most at this point for the edit I had to make at 19:36 in section 2 where I had to replace a clip. I don't know if there is a way to blend these clips together better or if that is just how it is since I have the new environment and the new microphone. With the section 3 edits I went and did as much noise reduction as I could. I was able to get a good amount of it out but some of the spots were really stubborn and I couldn't manage to get rid of them as much as I would have liked.

It isn't ideal that the audio quality is going to change throughout the entire recording but I'm hoping that since I am between section recording we should be ok for the most part except for that one small edit in section 2.

Betsy and Rapunzelina, if you could, please let me know if you have any thoughts, advice, or further edits you'd like to share!

Thank you both for bearing with me and for all the help you've provided. I am excited to get back into this project and make some more progress!
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Lukessa wrote: April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm Ok. So, I went through and did the edits for both sections 2 and 3.

I need to mention that since I have moved I am now in a different reading environment. I did also go ahead and get a microphone upgrade (I no longer have the one I was previously using with me). With those said, the sounds quality is better but it is different. This matters most at this point for the edit I had to make at 19:36 in section 2 where I had to replace a clip. I don't know if there is a way to blend these clips together better or if that is just how it is since I have the new environment and the new microphone. With the section 3 edits I went and did as much noise reduction as I could. I was able to get a good amount of it out but some of the spots were really stubborn and I couldn't manage to get rid of them as much as I would have liked.

It isn't ideal that the audio quality is going to change throughout the entire recording but I'm hoping that since I am between section recording we should be ok for the most part except for that one small edit in section 2.

Betsy and Rapunzelina, if you could, please let me know if you have any thoughts, advice, or further edits you'd like to share!

Thank you both for bearing with me and for all the help you've provided. I am excited to get back into this project and make some more progress!
~~~
It's been quite a while since I first listened to this. Both sections still have thee noise, but I the few spot checks I did in section 2, I think it's okay. I do also hear the place in section 2 where you edited and the sound is different. It does sort of stand out, but I don't think it's a problem.

I do think that section 3 noise is a problem toward those end moments I mentioned earlier. Especially the last one.

I don't think using the new equipment moving forward will be a problem at all.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 29th, 2024, 9:25 am
Lukessa wrote: April 28th, 2024, 6:29 pm Ok. So, I went through and did the edits for both sections 2 and 3.

~~~
It's been quite a while since I first listened to this. Both sections still have thee noise, but I the few spot checks I did in section 2, I think it's okay. I do also hear the place in section 2 where you edited and the sound is different. It does sort of stand out, but I don't think it's a problem.

I do think that section 3 noise is a problem toward those end moments I mentioned earlier. Especially the last one.

I don't think using the new equipment moving forward will be a problem at all.

Betsy
Betsy,

Ok I think I might just go ahead and post in the help board then about getting rid of the background noise using the noise reduction feature because I can’t seem to be able to fix it how I’ve already been doing it and I can’t think of what else to try.

Sandy
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Lukessa wrote: April 29th, 2024, 1:30 pm Betsy,
Ok I think I might just go ahead and post in the help board then about getting rid of the background noise using the noise reduction feature because I can’t seem to be able to fix it how I’ve already been doing it and I can’t think of what else to try.
Sandy
Okay Sandy - no rush! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

I reuploaded section 2 and 3. I was able to get them down some, although still not as much as I would have liked. Although I do think I was able to at least make the worst part, the last sound section, if not great than at least comparable to the others. Let me know what you think!

I am definitely going to be more diligent with future recordings to avoid problems like this. I might just start the recording for the next section some time soon just to get back in the motions and I can keep returning to these two sections for edits if needed.

-Sandy
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Lukessa wrote: May 7th, 2024, 11:22 pm I reuploaded section 2 and 3. I was able to get them down some, although still not as much as I would have liked. Although I do think I was able to at least make the worst part, the last sound section, if not great than at least comparable to the others. Let me know what you think!
I am definitely going to be more diligent with future recordings to avoid problems like this. I might just start the recording for the next section some time soon just to get back in the motions and I can keep returning to these two sections for edits if needed.
-Sandy
Section 2 is very well adjusted. Section 3 isn't perfect, but it's good enough to be considered PL Okay. I didn't re-listen to the entire sections, but spot checked them. I'd say you're ready to move forward! - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Lukessa, you posted in the Need Help forum about the aircraft noise, and I had a go at cleaning it. Have you listened to the file I uploaded? I do think it cleaned up quite well, and you could apply the same method yourself.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Lukessa

Post by Lukessa »

Peter Why wrote: May 9th, 2024, 2:39 pm Lukessa, you posted in the Need Help forum about the aircraft noise, and I had a go at cleaning it. Have you listened to the file I uploaded? I do think it cleaned up quite well, and you could apply the same method yourself.

Peter
Hi and yes. Thank you for doing that by the way, because I really do appreciate it!

I think we are feeling really good about how section 2 and the earlier parts of section 3 are now with the edits I made after reading your post. Did you have a chance to listen to the latter examples in section 3 (especially the last one) because those are the ones I am having more difficulty with. I applied the method you mentioned and I was able to improve it but it is still not where I'd prefer it to be. If you are able to improve it I would be love to receive any more suggestions you might have!

thanks

-Sandy