[COMPLETE] The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_03_pratt_128kb.mp3 12:15. There has been an update to Audcity and I am not sure if I copied it right. Making another attempt and have now included the time stamp.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:31 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_03_pratt_128kb.mp3 12:15. There has been an update to Audcity and I am not sure if I copied it right. Making another attempt and have now included the time stamp.
I changed the timestamp to 12:17, which is what Checker is telling me (12:16.63, to be exact). This one's longer than the last, so that's a good sign. Ready for spot PL.

Generally speaking, it might be a good idea to wait a few days before downloading the latest updates to Audacity. Sometimes there are kinks that get worked out in the subsequent versions. I'm going to wait a bit longer to see whether there are any surprises before I move on from 3.4.2 to 3.5. Some readers on here are still using much earlier versions of the program with no ill effects.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (several parts in a dramatic reading of an L. Frank Baum story)
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

Well at least you got it. A lil voice in the back of y head was telling me to wait on the update. But did I listen NOOOOOOOOOOO. Anyway thanks for the patients with this old man.
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

AdamP wrote: April 25th, 2024, 4:07 pm
Cbteddy wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:49 pm
AdamP wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:06 pm

One more time for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3
Hello Adam! Welcome to Librivox, and congrats on your first recording! I enjoyed your pacing and the voices for the characters were quite amusing.

There are just a few edits needed. I've listed the approximate times where they fall within the recording, and have listed them from ending to beginning. If you make the updates in this order (end to beginning) the timing should align as changes are made. Once any updates are made, please re-upload the file (under the same file name) and post the new time and link in this thread so we can do a quick spot check.

Around 6:27 - repeat of "And since the earth is building up a lot of negative potential all the time, all you have to do is get your bird between you and the earth and then let go at him?" (I believe it's the second version you meant to keep in since it's in the right voice for the character that you're using).
Around 6:12 - omitted "See?" "...after the left-over positives till she grunts. See?"
Around 4:33 - omitted "into positive and negative charges." from "...we've been breaking up the atoms of lead into positive and negative charges." (I think you accidentally skipped to the next line, which is very similar in phrasing).

Consideration for future recordings - There does appear to be some clipping throughout your audio. If you look at your audio file, there are probably spikes that may flatten out towards the top, which means your audio can sound distorted. This can happen when you are a bit too close to the mic, or when you increase the volume of your voice. I would recommend to reduce the input volume for future recordings. There is a slider that looks like a mic on the right hand side at the top of the audacity screen. Or, you could also be a bit further away from the microphone so as your voice increases, it won't go over any audio thresholds.

Thanks!
Ok, thanks sorry for the delay I've been traveling. I'll look at it tomorrow.
Once more, I really hope this is satisfactory this time.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3 7:42
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AdamP wrote: April 26th, 2024, 10:29 am

Hello Adam! Welcome to Librivox, and congrats on your first recording! I enjoyed your pacing and the voices for the characters were quite amusing.

There are just a few edits needed. I've listed the approximate times where they fall within the recording, and have listed them from ending to beginning. If you make the updates in this order (end to beginning) the timing should align as changes are made. Once any updates are made, please re-upload the file (under the same file name) and post the new time and link in this thread so we can do a quick spot check.

Around 6:27 - repeat of "And since the earth is building up a lot of negative potential all the time, all you have to do is get your bird between you and the earth and then let go at him?" (I believe it's the second version you meant to keep in since it's in the right voice for the character that you're using).
Around 6:12 - omitted "See?" "...after the left-over positives till she grunts. See?"
Around 4:33 - omitted "into positive and negative charges." from "...we've been breaking up the atoms of lead into positive and negative charges." (I think you accidentally skipped to the next line, which is very similar in phrasing).

Consideration for future recordings - There does appear to be some clipping throughout your audio. If you look at your audio file, there are probably spikes that may flatten out towards the top, which means your audio can sound distorted. This can happen when you are a bit too close to the mic, or when you increase the volume of your voice. I would recommend to reduce the input volume for future recordings. There is a slider that looks like a mic on the right hand side at the top of the audacity screen. Or, you could also be a bit further away from the microphone so as your voice increases, it won't go over any audio thresholds.

Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3 7:42
Thanks, Adam. I'll put this into the Magic Window for proof listening, but there is one correction you're going to have to make whether or not there are further changes from the proof listener. The volume on this is at 95.5 dB, rather above the upper limit of 92 dB.

There's an easy fix for this in Audacity. Select your entire track and click "Effect > Loudness Normalization" set to "-19LUFS" and "perceived loudness," then click "Apply." That should bring the recording down to the 89 - 90 dB range. I suggest you wait with making that change until after the proof listener has reviewed your corrections and ok'd them.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
"The Woggle-Bug Book" in Dramatic Reading & Story Collection 5 (several parts in a dramatic reading of an L. Frank Baum story)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

AdamP wrote: April 26th, 2024, 10:29 am Once more, I really hope this is satisfactory this time.

One more question. I notice that the first file you submitted was 19:35 long, but this one is only 7:42. Is there something missing from it? Can you please double-check your file?

UPDATE: I checked the end of your recording against the text, and there's quite a bit missing at the end of your recording (1,677 words) that was in your original recording. Let me know if you no longer have that original file, as we can retrieve it at our end.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 26th, 2024, 6:31 am Well at least you got it. A lil voice in the back of y head was telling me to wait on the update. But did I listen NOOOOOOOOOOO. Anyway thanks for the patients with this old man.
Well, you'll only do that once (I hope!) I learned my lesson when 3.4 came out and they'd moved a bunch of stuff around and removed a lot of functionality I use frequently.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Thanks!

Hello Adam! Great job with the edits. The edits themselves are good to go, but you are missing the rest of your file starting with "Monitor II stood on the ramp that had once held her elder sister..." through the end of the chapter. Do you still have access to that portion from your previous recording?

Additionally, please be sure to follow Winnifred's recommendation on lowering the volume, as it's currently over LV's threshold requirements.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cadence1 wrote: April 25th, 2024, 9:31 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_03_pratt_128kb.mp3 12:15. There has been an update to Audcity and I am not sure if I copied it right. Making another attempt and have now included the time stamp.
Cadence1, I'm happy to confirm these edits are good, and this section is now PL OK!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: April 28th, 2024, 7:38 am

Hello Adam! Great job with the edits. The edits themselves are good to go, but you are missing the rest of your file starting with "Monitor II stood on the ramp that had once held her elder sister..." through the end of the chapter. Do you still have access to that portion from your previous recording?

Additionally, please be sure to follow Winnifred's recommendation on lowering the volume, as it's currently over LV's threshold requirements.

Thanks!
Hi Claire,

I've repaired Chapter 21 by combining the relevant parts of the files Adam posted on April 13 and April 26. It is now 19:27 long and I believe contains the whole chapter. I also applied loudness normalization to the first part (0 - 7:42), as this portion was considerably louder than the rest and ran the whole chapter through the Checker.

You've already PL'd up to 7:42 (and I believe, the rest of the recording earlier), but I think it might be a good idea to listen to the last part (7:43 to the end) once more, just to be on the safe side, as Adam has not returned to verify that these are his correct files. But as this is the last outstanding section, I'd like to move on and finish this project.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Winnifred wrote: May 1st, 2024, 8:23 pm
Cbteddy wrote: April 28th, 2024, 7:38 am

Thanks!
Hi Claire,

I've repaired Chapter 21 by combining the relevant parts of the files Adam posted on April 13 and April 26. It is now 19:27 long and I believe contains the whole chapter. I also applied loudness normalization to the first part (0 - 7:42), as this portion was considerably louder than the rest and ran the whole chapter through the Checker.

You've already PL'd up to 7:42 (and I believe, the rest of the recording earlier), but I think it might be a good idea to listen to the last part (7:43 to the end) once more, just to be on the safe side, as Adam has not returned to verify that these are his correct files. But as this is the last outstanding section, I'd like to move on and finish this project.

Thanks,
Hi Winnifred! Happy to report that section 21 is now PL OK! It's been fun working with you, and I'll see you on the other FP project you've got going :)
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
twomustangs

Post by twomustangs »

Thank you to Ann, Claire, and Winnifred for going above and beyond to bring this one in for a landing. Can't wait to hear the results.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Thank-you to Claire, DPL extraordinaire, and Ann, best of MC’s, for their work on this book. And to all the readers (especially twomustangs!)

We’re ready for the catalogue!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Sweet! Off we go!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-onslaught-from-rigel-by-fletcher-pratt/

Great job, everyone! Thank you so much for participating in this project! A huge thank you goes out to our BC, Winnifred, and to our DPL, Claire! :clap: :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!