[CHRISTIAN ESSAYS] Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays, by George Wood Anderson - loa

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Cbteddy wrote: April 24th, 2024, 7:39 pm May I have section 2?
Thank you, Claire!
I've put you in for this.

~ Larry
AbigailWK

Post by AbigailWK »

Hello! :D

Can I be assigned Beyond the Curtained Clouds? I can have this done by the end of Friday (And can potentially add on more texts afterwards :thumbs: )
petegordon

Post by petegordon »

My first recording ever. Sorry, Abigail, I didn't read the second page of the thread before taking this on to try to practice and do my first recording. I would be fine if you did 03 and mine was not used. I'm just learning and getting comfortable. Best wishes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_03_petegordon_128kb.mp3

12:50

Pete Gordon
Columbus, Ohio
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AbigailWK wrote: April 25th, 2024, 12:28 pm Hello! :D

Can I be assigned Beyond the Curtained Clouds? I can have this done by the end of Friday (And can potentially add on more texts afterwards :thumbs: )
I would be glad for you to make your LibriVox debut here!
Do you have the final OK on your test recording? It is important to do that before taking on a longer piece for an actual project.
I also need to know exactly how to exactly how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, pseudonym, or any nickname/handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

If you would be okay recording a different chapter, we do have another potential reader interested in this and has apparently already recorded it. We DO have a first-come-first-served policy here at LibriVox, so I am perfectly willing to assign this to you, especially since that reader has not followed correct procedure. Just let me know.

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

petegordon wrote: April 25th, 2024, 5:40 pm My first recording ever. Sorry, Abigail, I didn't read the second page of the thread before taking this on to try to practice and do my first recording. I would be fine if you did 03 and mine was not used. I'm just learning and getting comfortable. Best wishes.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_03_petegordon_128kb.mp3

12:50

Pete Gordon
Columbus, Ohio
Well, this is very unfortunate, Pete.

It is really important that you follow directions here for the orderly flow of the work.
Did you get a welcome message? Did it give information about doing a test recording? There is a proper way to do that. I can't even access whatever it is you are trying to use.

And, one should never undertake to record something in a project without first requesting it and having that request acknowledged and being assigned by the book coordinated That way we avoid conflicts such as this.

Please study our introductory material, linked to in the head post of every LibriVox project.

b]New to recording?[/b] Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording! You will find information on the test recording.

Here is a direct link to instructions for the one-minute sample recording:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

That being said, I have downloaded you recording as submitted. It does meet the technical specifications, which is all the test recording is designed to test. You commented that you were using a built-in microphone. These produce poor audio quality, most notably a lot of reverb, or hollow room effect, which you should be able to hear. LibriVox has fairly low standards, so it would still be acceptable. I would highly recommend, however, if you plan to do much further recording that you secure a good USB microphone, and have a good recording space to minimize echo and reverb. These mikes are fairly inexpensive. I've been using the same mike I started with ten years ago.

There are at least a few edits to make in your current recording, although I've just sampled it. Read the note above about selecting a name for the LibriVox catalog, and let me know about that so I can get you listed. Then, let's wait to see what Abigail says about her claim for this section. I do have to honor her request first, if she so chooses.

~ Larry
AbigailWK

Post by AbigailWK »

Ahhh! It's ok! I just got my ok for my recording test so I could pick another part! Could I record for ''The Ages to Come''? As for credit, please credit me as AbigailWK :D
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AbigailWK wrote: April 26th, 2024, 1:51 pm Ahhh! It's ok! I just got my ok for my recording test so I could pick another part! Could I record for ''The Ages to Come''? As for credit, please credit me as AbigailWK :D
That's fine. You are added to the LibriVox catalog and I've assigned you Section 6 (always good to claim by section number -- easier for everyone). Just click on you name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects of which I hope there will be many!

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:

~ Larry
petegordon

Post by petegordon »

Thanks for the insight into the process to first claim and be assigned a chapter or section before submitting a recording.

I agree the built in mic is not the best quality even though it seemed to have passed the 1-minute test. viewtopic.php?p=2323064#p2323064

I’d like my name added as Pete Gordon.

But, I’ll hold off on taking an assignment until I find a better quality mic. 🎤 🎙️

Abigail, chapter 3 is beautiful text; I would enjoy hearing you read it.

Thanks again,
Pete Gordon
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

petegordon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 6:40 am Thanks for the insight into the process to first claim and be assigned a chapter or section before submitting a recording.

I agree the built in mic is not the best quality even though it seemed to have passed the 1-minute test. viewtopic.php?p=2323064#p2323064

I’d like my name added as Pete Gordon.

But, I’ll hold off on taking an assignment until I find a better quality mic. 🎤 🎙️

Abigail, chapter 3 is beautiful text; I would enjoy hearing you read it.

Thanks again,
Pete Gordon
Thank you, Pete!
I've added you to the LibriVox catalog and assigned you Section 3. We can either use your recording as submitted, or if you want to wait and record it with a new mic, just let me know. Either way is fine.

~ Larry
AbigailWK

Post by AbigailWK »

silverquill wrote: April 26th, 2024, 9:52 pm
AbigailWK wrote: April 26th, 2024, 1:51 pm Ahhh! It's ok! I just got my ok for my recording test so I could pick another part! Could I record for ''The Ages to Come''? As for credit, please credit me as AbigailWK :D
That's fine. You are added to the LibriVox catalog and I've assigned you Section 6 (always good to claim by section number -- easier for everyone). Just click on you name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects of which I hope there will be many!

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
Thank you so much! :9: I just finished reading for this section! Please do let me know what you think and if there are any edits that need to be made! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_Section_6_-_The_Ages_to_Come_-_AbigailWK.mp3

Abigail
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

AbigailWK wrote: April 27th, 2024, 2:45 pm Thank you so much! :9: I just finished reading for this section! Please do let me know what you think and if there are any edits that need to be made! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_Section_6_-_The_Ages_to_Come_-_AbigailWK.mp3

Abigail
Well, it's a start. But, I am asking you to do a few things before I sent this to our proof listener. I'm puzzled by the file name you came up with and the lack of introduction and ending, all of which are clearly given in the instructions. You will find these in the initial post of every project, so it is important to look for them. The format is fairly standard, but will have different information for each project. I'll copy them here for your reference:

====

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays, by George Wood Anderson. Chapter Title."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: unfinishedrainbows_##_anderson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. unfinishedrainbows_01_anderson_128kb.mp3)

===

Here are some things to correct:

Silence at the beginning is fine, but we need five seconds at the end. I usually let the recording run extra at both beginning and end, then trim accordingly, listening for extraneous noises that might creep into my silence, like mouse clicks, etc. that I can cut.

Then, please record the intro, as given above, and also the "outro" at the end of the chapter leaving the appropriate silences.

Then, copy ad past the file name, as above, including the leading zero as given in the example.

Upload the file again and post the link again with the new file length as mm:ss

Your volume is fine as are all other tech specs!!

There is quite a bit of reverb, or "hollow room" effect in your recording. So, you might want to think about your recording set up and space down the road, but these are less important things than those mentioned here.

~ Larry
petegordon

Post by petegordon »

I found my external USB mic. Here is the recording of Chapter 3 redone with USB mic. Thanks!

12:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_03_anderson_128kb.mp3
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

petegordon wrote: April 27th, 2024, 9:01 pm I found my external USB mic. Here is the recording of Chapter 3 redone with USB mic. Thanks!

12:33
https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/unfinishedrainbows_03_anderson_128kb.mp3
This is fine!
I've put it in the MW Ready for PL.

Sounds much better. You will need to trim the silences at the beginning and end, and there's a mike bump near the end, but our DPL will give you a full report.

Thank you for working on this!

~ Larry
petegordon

Post by petegordon »

silverquill wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:47 pm
This is fine!
I've put it in the MW Ready for PL.

Sounds much better. You will need to trim the silences at the beginning and end, and there's a mike bump near the end, but our DPL will give you a full report.

Thank you for working on this!
Fun stuff! Thanks for the guidance.
AbigailWK

Post by AbigailWK »

silverquill wrote: April 27th, 2024, 4:36 pm
AbigailWK wrote: April 27th, 2024, 2:45 pm Thank you so much! :9: I just finished reading for this section! Please do let me know what you think and if there are any edits that need to be made! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_Section_6_-_The_Ages_to_Come_-_AbigailWK.mp3

Abigail
Well, it's a start. But, I am asking you to do a few things before I sent this to our proof listener. I'm puzzled by the file name you came up with and the lack of introduction and ending, all of which are clearly given in the instructions. You will find these in the initial post of every project, so it is important to look for them. The format is fairly standard, but will have different information for each project. I'll copy them here for your reference:

====

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Unfinished Rainbows, and Other Essays, by George Wood Anderson. Chapter Title."

End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]

Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: unfinishedrainbows_##_anderson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. unfinishedrainbows_01_anderson_128kb.mp3)

===

Here are some things to correct:

Silence at the beginning is fine, but we need five seconds at the end. I usually let the recording run extra at both beginning and end, then trim accordingly, listening for extraneous noises that might creep into my silence, like mouse clicks, etc. that I can cut.

Then, please record the intro, as given above, and also the "outro" at the end of the chapter leaving the appropriate silences.

Then, copy ad past the file name, as above, including the leading zero as given in the example.

Upload the file again and post the link again with the new file length as mm:ss

Your volume is fine as are all other tech specs!!

There is quite a bit of reverb, or "hollow room" effect in your recording. So, you might want to think about your recording set up and space down the road, but these are less important things than those mentioned here.
My apologies for the mix ups here! I noticed my mistakes after I completed another recording this afternoon . :( Please find the edited version of the recording here! https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/_unfinishedrainbows_6_anderson_128kb_mp3.mp3