Hello from Australia

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
PetitsMondes

Post by PetitsMondes »

Ahoy there guys, gals, and non-binary pals.

My name is Matt, I am currently based in rural South Australia.
Found this wonderful site not too long ago and have been enjoying some of the books on offer (specifically a great anthology of ghost stories and The King in Yellow).

Thought it was a nifty project you have here and thought I'd see how I go with helping out. Fun new hobby at the least, to add to the other ones.

PL as required when I can but a a bit more drawn towards setting up the mic to try my hand at recording as well. The idea of exploring eclectic classics by creating audio readings of them appealed to me and will be looking into the 1-minute test by the end of the day.

Thanks for stopping by, and have yourself a fine day.

Regards,

Matt (Mondes)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome.
You might be our first South Australian, we had an Alice Springs resident for some time but she moved to the USA. One advantage you may have is there should be less traffic noise :D

Anne
PetitsMondes

Post by PetitsMondes »

Hah, well wouldn't you know it; Alice Springs is actually my home town. Bless.

And aye, pretty quiet hereabouts. Maybe the occasional sheep bleating but otherwise should be fine.

Nice to meet you Anne, thanks for stopping by to say hello to the newbie.
vviera

Post by vviera »

Welcome, Matt!

It's great to hear from Down Under again! We have had new volunteers from about a dozen countries lately, including Australia!

It sounds like you're already getting started on your 1-minute test. If you haven’t yet seen it, take a look at the Newbie Guide to Recording. It will orient you to the whole process.

After you're OK'd on that, browse the forums for a project you'd like to participate in. Most people start with a chapter in a book or some other short work. Post a claim for a section in the corresponding thread when you see something you'd like to record.

Any time you have a question, post in one of the forums, and someone will pop in to help you out.

Have fun!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I've never been to Alice Springs. I have been to Mt Gambier so technically I have been to South Australia :lol:
Along with Vic, Tas and NSW.
Only WA and QLD and the territories I haven't been to. Never been to Canberra which is why my mind is unpolluted and alert. [tish da boom!]

Welcome!
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

NT is the only state I've not visited, though there are huge areas of WA and Qld that I've not visited - my husband loved visiting vineyards so they didn't appeal to him :D . My son was at a hockey tournament in Canberra so we went there :D

Anne
PetitsMondes

Post by PetitsMondes »

Thanks for the hyperlinks vviera, I have uploaded the 1-minute test but haven't checked on it just yet. Otherwise once that is golden I'll see about those other hyperlinks you posted for a chapter or a short work. Appreciate the pointing the right direction.

Hah, most likely lightcrystal, believe I have been everywhere but Canberra, so the theory checks out. Still, can always see more here. Thanks for the warm welcome.

The NT is beautiful in it's own way, Anne. Amazing night sky due to the lack of light pollution, great landscapes, so definitely a camping trip, not much going on in Alice Springs itself.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've been to Broken Hill and the Flinders Ranges and flown over Lake Eyre when it was full of water and Pelicans, and spend time in Nhill on the edge of the Little Desert and the night sky is magic away from cities. But I was younger then. :D

Anne