KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 2 PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 3 PL OK!
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

KevinS wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 12:17 am Section 3 PL OK!
I'm sorry if you are finding PL-ing this project boring, but I do work hard to not leave too many mistakes for my PL-ers to find!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Shipley wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 6:31 am
KevinS wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 12:17 am Section 3 PL OK!
I'm sorry if you are finding PL-ing this project boring, but I do work hard to not leave too many mistakes for my PL-ers to find!
No, it's quite all right. I must admit that the secret instructions were rather tedious, but I'm looking forward to hearing more. If I had a more comfortable chair, I would volunteer for the DPL position. We'll see what can be done in that regard.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 4 PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 5 PL OK!

I will PL Section 6, also.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

Sections 12 and 13 uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_12_cook_128kb.mp3 (28:01)

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/thirdvoyageojamescookvol1_13_cook_128kb.mp3 (29:21).

This chapter turned out to be so heavily loaded with footnotes that it ended up as something over 7000 words instead of the 3700 I had originally estimated. Fifty-seven minutes is far too long to expect someone to listen to my dulcet tones, so I split it into two Sections, adding one Section to the project in the process.

I would add two notes re pronunciations used. I was shocked during Section 12 to realize that Kerguelen was a Frenchman; i had been assuming that the name was either Dutch or Flemish and pronounced it accordingly. If Captain Cook had used his full name, "Yves-Joseph de Kerguelen-Trémarec" I might have stood more chance of getting his nationality correct. He was from Brittany, so the first half of the family name may well be from Breton, a language which bears little resemblance to French. Less forgivably, I also realized in the course of Section 12 that I had failed to notice the acute accent on the "e" of "de Pagés", which of course requires that the second word by two syllables. In both cases, for the sake of consistency and in order not to confuse non-French speakers, I am keeping my original pronunciations.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

It's good that you are recording the book chapter by chapter---that is, in numerical order. This allows one to divide a chapter into as many sections as needed without worrying about what might already have been recorded and posted.

I'll continue to plod along with my PLing, but I cannot promise to stay at it for the full length. That said, I'm enjoying your reading.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Section 6 PL OK!