Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It is in the "Volunteers Wanted: Other LibriVox Projects" forum but depending on when the last post is, it may fall down in the list because it's chronological, and it's also below the pinned threads. While in the Working Thread - which is pinned - people post everyday so it stays at the top and easier to see!
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 8:23 am Why is the link to this Covermakers Chat Thread so hard to find? The link to it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere but in the first paragraph of the Working Thread! Can it be added directly to the Volunteers Wanted: Other LibriVox Projects list, especially since it invites anyone to ask, thank, chat, provide hints, etc.

This Working Thread is for preclaiming and submitting covers. If you want to ask questions, thank a cover maker, chat or provide hints etc. please do so here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64062"
I feel like I don't always get notifications from this thread or the working thread. Has anyone thought of trying to integrate these threads into the rest of the system to make it another job for each separate book?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 8:28 am It is in the "Volunteers Wanted: Other LibriVox Projects" forum but depending on when the last post is, it may fall down in the list because it's chronological, and it's also below the pinned threads. While in the Working Thread - which is pinned - people post everyday so it stays at the top and easier to see!
Ah, I see it now. Still, it is hard to find unless you use the search function in the upper right corner of any forum thread, and scroll thru them all.
msfry

Post by msfry »

ShellyW wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:15 am
msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 8:23 am Why is the link to this Covermakers Chat Thread so hard to find? The link to it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere but in the first paragraph of the Working Thread! Can it be added directly to the Volunteers Wanted: Other LibriVox Projects list, especially since it invites anyone to ask, thank, chat, provide hints, etc.

This Working Thread is for preclaiming and submitting covers. If you want to ask questions, thank a cover maker, chat or provide hints etc. please do so here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64062"
I feel like I don't always get notifications from this thread or the working thread. Has anyone thought of trying to integrate these threads into the rest of the system to make it another job for each separate book?
When you post to any thread, it is supposed to "subscribe" you, but if you don't respond to the next email notification with a visit, some of them "unsubscribe" you, like so:

Your bookmarked topic "Covermakers Chat Thread" received a new reply since
your last visit to "LibriVox Forum". No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

I am too frequently unsubscribed from my own BC projects, which is very inconvenient, even embarrassing when the reader or MC has to "bump" me via PM to check my posts. I've begun to rely on the Notifications feature (upper right corner of any forum post), rather than wait for email notifications.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ShellyW wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:15 am I feel like I don't always get notifications from this thread or the working thread. Has anyone thought of trying to integrate these threads into the rest of the system to make it another job for each separate book?
Yes, the wish has come up before. I'm hoping someday it'll happen. It's on the list of improvements, but it would be a big one (i.e. a lot of work to develop). :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 11:09 am
ShellyW wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:15 am I feel like I don't always get notifications from this thread or the working thread. Has anyone thought of trying to integrate these threads into the rest of the system to make it another job for each separate book?
Yes, the wish has come up before. I'm hoping someday it'll happen. It's on the list of improvements, but it would be a big one (i.e. a lot of work to develop). :)
Does whoever takes it on need to know html or specific forum software?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

msfry wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:34 am
ShellyW wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 10:15 am

When you post to any thread, it is supposed to "subscribe" you, but if you don't respond to the next email notification with a visit, some of them "unsubscribe" you, like so:

Your bookmarked topic "Covermakers Chat Thread" received a new reply since
your last visit to "LibriVox Forum". No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

I am too frequently unsubscribed from my own BC projects, which is very inconvenient, even embarrassing when the reader or MC has to "bump" me via PM to check my posts. I've begun to rely on the Notifications feature (upper right corner of any forum post), rather than wait for email notifications.
Oh dear, the last thing I need is another email notification 😆
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ShellyW wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 1:10 pm
Worse. They need to know the back-end programming languages. I can't remember what language(s) is/are used. I think "Codeigniter" is some sort of platform we use. Is PHP a programming language? It's all at https://github.com/LibriVox
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 1:19 pm
ShellyW wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 1:10 pm

Worse. They need to know the back-end programming languages. I can't remember what language(s) is/are used. I think "Codeigniter" is some sort of platform we use. Is PHP a programming language? It's all at https://github.com/LibriVox
Oh, thank you for that link. Maybe this will help me recruit someone 8-)
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Here's a little tidbit I just learned:
phpBB is an Internet forum package written in the PHP scripting language. The name "phpBB" is an abbreviation of PHP Bulletin Board. Available under the GNU General Public License, phpBB is free and open-source.
Wikipedia
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yes, that I knew. :) I'm unsure of what the back-end cataloging software is written in. I know the forum software is phpBB, but don't know what the Magic Window, etc. is.

I used to know; it's been a while since my husband worked on it and ranted over it. :P
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

:lol:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Magic Window itself is done with CodeIgniter, but I believe phpBB needed a little plugin written in order to show it as an iframe inside posts.
LV is very much a custom-everything job.
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

redrun wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 6:23 pm Magic Window itself is done with CodeIgniter, but I believe phpBB needed a little plugin written in order to show it as an iframe inside posts.
LV is very much a custom-everything job.
:hmm: interesting
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com