Chris O'Brien-1 minute test file [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
Christbearer1987

Post by Christbearer1987 »

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hello Christbearer1987,

You need to upload your file to the Librivox server, as set out in the uploading instructions, or we can't access it for review.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Christbearer1987

Ok Thank you!

Chris
Christbearer1987

Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Christbearer1987 wrote: April 20th, 2024, 6:59 pm Ok Thank you!

Chris

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/LLL.mp3
Welcome to Librivox, Chris!

Your voice is clear and nicely animated, but your test needs some adjustments, as the volume is too high at 93.9 dB and I notice a lot of plosives (pops) on your p sounds, plus some brushing sounds as if you're too close to your mic. Librivox requires a volume between 86 and 92 dB, with 89 - 90 dB being the ideal.

Although it's possible to do repairs to your file, I would suggest instead first adjusting your settings and then redoing the test. Speak beside, rather than straight into, your mic, at a distance of about 6 inches. This will eliminate the plosives and brushing sounds. If you use Audacity 3.4.2, this page provides instructions (with screenshots) of how to set up your volume correctly (scroll down a bit for the volume section). It also contains information about downloading and using the Checker, a tool that will allow you to check your own settings to see if the volume is within the correct range.

Please re-do your test and post the upload link in a response to this post, and I'll come back and listen to it.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Christbearer1987

Thanks very much. I will get this to you asap.

Chris
Christbearer1987

Well the folks at Checker seem to give this a pass haha, so we'll see. Thanks for all you do, and i look forward to being on board

Chris

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_4-21.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Christbearer1987 wrote: April 21st, 2024, 7:26 pm Well the folks at Checker seem to give this a pass haha, so we'll see. Thanks for all you do, and i look forward to being on board

Chris

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/librivox_4-21.mp3
Hi Chris,

Yes, that's a definite pass! Nicely done.

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of short options there in all genres. Let the book coordinator of your first reading know if you want a different name than Christbearer1987 in the Librivox catalogue.

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Christbearer1987

Excellent! Thank you again!

Chris
Christbearer1987

Hi Winnifred, thanks for all the help you have been to me so far. I'm wondering how i contact the project coordinator that you mentioned in your last message. Is he/she the one i submit it to?

Thanks,

Chris
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Christbearer1987 wrote: April 29th, 2024, 4:52 pm Hi Winnifred, thanks for all the help you have been to me so far. I'm wondering how i contact the project coordinator that you mentioned in your last message. Is he/she the one i submit it to?

Thanks,

Chris
Yes, that's right. Each project on Librivox has a book coordinator (commonly called the BC) who sets up the project and accepts claims and submissions. Once you've found a likely project, just post in that thread, saying you want to claim a section (and which one), and what you want your name in the catalogue to be. The BC will be keeping an eye on all posts and will respond to you.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: