test_Jinsoo [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
Jinsoo

Post by Jinsoo »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Jinsoo.mp3

Hello everyone,

Here is my studio set up:
-Adobe Audition
-Scarlett Solo 3rd gen
-Cad E-100S
-3 Acoustic Blankets and a little bit of Foam
-Windows 11

For this recording I did apply just a little processing.
-Normalized to -3 db (if someone can explain why I use negative numbers and everyone else uses positive numbers such as 89dB that would be great)
-and slight (about 30%) Waves NS-1 Mono

Typically I would also add a bit of EQ, compression, and more noise things such as De-Click. I try to be as transparent as possible with my rack.

Looking forward to reading with y'all.

Cheers,
Jinsoo
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Welcome Jinsoo

As I understand it, the positive dB scale was adopted because LV volunteers generally understood it better than the standard 0 to -100dB scale.

I reviewed your test sample, and while it sounds good there are some technical changes needed. LibriVox requires audio that is 128kbps constant bit rate MP3, 44.1kHz sample rate, mono, and between 86dB and 92dB, preferably 89-90. This equates to -25dB to -19dB RMS in Audition. I normalize to -21dB RMS in Reaper, which results in a perfect 89dB in Checker. Your test audio settings are all correct except the bit rate, which is 192dB.

I honestly don't think you need any additional processing of your audio. A little De-Click is OK (I use RX10 DeClick). Looking at your tight wave form, I wouldn't use compression. I use only a limiter at -3dB to control the peaks. (BTW, I used a Solo and E100S for several years, but never Audition.)

If you want you can download Checker here: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
The tools you have in Audition will suffice.

Please make a new test recording at 128kbps and post it in a reply to this message. I will come back and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Jinsoo

Post by Jinsoo »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_Jinsoo_01.mp3

Hey thanks for your notes!

What interface/ mic do you use now? I just saw a TLM 103 for $500 bucks near me and its tempting.

I use RX 6 De-Click just because thats what I have. Do you think I should upgrade to the new one at some point?

Cheers,
Jinsoo
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Okay Jinsoo, you are good to go.

I've been using a Sennheiser 416 and Audient ID4 the last year or so. Basically, I'm a Silicon Valley gearhead who just loves to spend money on cool stuff, but I think I'm done now. The E100S is an excellent mic. I tried a TLM103 a number of years ago, and while it sounds nice, it's really no improvement over the CAD. I found it to be WAY too sensitive to use in a home studio. It would pick up a tiny sound my glasses make when I move my head. It picked up the sound my jaw makes. It picked up a basketball bouncing 5 houses away. I believe head-to-head you won't be able to tell the 103 and CAD apart, especially after MP3 conversion.

I use Mouth DeClick in RX10, which is better than the generic DeClick in RX Elements. So if you are using that version, I'd say yeah, you might like the upgrade. If it's Mouth DeClick in RX6 Standard, I wouldn't bother. RX11 is coming out, and I'll be skipping that one.

Happy narrating!
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page