[SOLO] Sonnets and Songs, by Arthur Upson - rap

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
brucek

Post by brucek »

Sonnets and Songs, by Arthur Upson (1877 - 1908)
Arthur Upson's insightful and sensitive poetic art is grandly displayed in this selection of some of his best work. As a tribute to Upson, Ruth Shepard Phelps proclaims in the introductory poem of this volume, "And all the rare and lovely things that are / Bloom newly now to celebrate thy name." Indeed "rare and lovely" are apt concepts to describe the nature of Upson's work, his poems being conceived by a man with a quest, with a passion for meaning, a man "fain to know / What are humanity and human fate". Upson is a grand poet, an "explorer of a star / Where all is strange", and although his poet's determination is mired in "phantom days, each one / The shadow of a hope", he is determined to continue his fervent search for meaning, despite realizing that, "Slow-tongued Experience teaches me to bear / On lips more patient Love's impatient prayer."

Just as Upson's talent faces no diminishment by the "phantom days" that surround him, neither is his poetic skill encumbered by its mandatory human incarnation - an incarnation of which the poet is intensely aware, intensely affected by, and which compels him to produce works of insight and earthly resonance to transform his quest for a search for meaning, for truth, and for a comprehension and enactment of the power of love. This is the essence of the current that runs through this collection and is manifested in each of these magnificent poems, resulting in an uplifting volume of inspiring readability and rousing introspective depth.
(Summary by Bruce Kachuk)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/sonnetssongs00upsoiala/

Target completion date: 2024-07-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author
Keywords that describe the book: nature, death, love, loss, fate, classic poetry, yearning
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the introductory section, say:
"Sonnets and Songs, by Arthur Upson, read for LibriVox dot org by Bruce Kachuk. Introductory Poem, His Lovers to Arthur Upson, by Ruth Shepard Phelps."
For the first and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"[Poem title], by Arthur Upson, read for LibriVox dot org."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Sonnets and Songs, by Arthur Upson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: sonnetsandsongs_##_upson_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number (e.g. sonnetsandsongs_01_upson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Hello Everyone,

This is a fine selection of works by the brilliant poet Arthur Upson.

My many thanks to Rapunzelina for kindly offering to both MC and DPL this project, and to LV reader LectorRecitator who suggested this fine work.

~~~~~
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

We have a Magic Window in place!
brucek

Post by brucek »

Thanks very much, Rapunzelina! Titles entered.

Bruce.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Shall we start with our first three . . .

Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Exciting!

PL OK for first three!
brucek

Post by brucek »

And here we go with our next five.

Bruce.
brucek

Post by brucek »

Just one more thing, Rapunzelina. I wonder if it would be a good idea if I include Ruth Shepard Phelps (1876 - 1949) in the metadata for section 00? She's not currently in the LV database so I would need you to add her to it first. Ruth Shepard Phelps' web bio presence is at: https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/14/resources/1484

Phelps appears to have been a well-credentialed, relatively prodigious academic author with a number of publications currently available on archive.org

Thank you for your advice,
Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The poet has quite a singular style that stands out! I mean, I am impressed for a poet that was never recorded for Librivox before! A remarkable discovery!
PL OK for these five.

The metadata are used only in collection projects, so it wouldn't make a difference here.
Alternatives:
- I could make her name in the summary a link that would lead to her author page, once I'd created that.
- I could add her as an author, along with Arthur Upson, which would link the project to her author page.
- we could leave things as they are.

All these options are acceptable, so it's up to you!
brucek

Post by brucek »

I fully agree with you regarding the work of Arthur Upson. My favorite so far is section 3 "Vers La Vie" which virtually surpasses Hardy's "The Subalterns" (spc 210) in its introspective significance. More to come soon.

Thank you for your advice regarding Ruth Shepard Phelps. Let's leave things as they are.

Bruce.
brucek

Post by brucek »

And our next five.

Bruce.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I'm spoilt for pleasure! All PL OK!