1-Minute Test Recording Test [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
KristynaVavrikova

Post by KristynaVavrikova »

Hello,
Here is my test recording:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_kristynavavrikova.mp3
(Audacity 2.4.2, Windows, USB headset)

How is it? I have noticed there's an annoying beep in the background. Is it a problem? Is there a way to edit it out? I tried recording multiple times but it's always there. :(
Thanx for feedback
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KristynaVavrikova wrote: April 19th, 2024, 3:29 pm Hello,
Here is my test recording:
(Audacity 2.4.2, Windows, USB headset)

How is it? I have noticed there's an annoying beep in the background. Is it a problem? Is there a way to edit it out? I tried recording multiple times but it's always there. :(
Thanx for feedback
Welcome to Librivox, Kristyna!

Your voice is pleasant and animated and your test meets all the Librivox technical standards. I don't notice an annoying beep in the background at all. Is it possible it's a sound that you're hearing, but that isn't being picked up by your mic? I find that some sounds just don't make it into my recordings (for example, my husband practicing his guitar in another room just doesn't seem to get picked up, even though I can hear him).

The only thing I do notice is that there are some pronounced plosives (pops) on your P sounds and a few soft brushing sounds as if you're touching your mic. You can prevent those by speaking to one side of your mic rather than straight into it, at a distance of about 6 inches.

Why don't you try re-recording the test using that method to see if that eliminates these sounds before you get started? I'll come back and check it out.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
KristynaVavrikova

Post by KristynaVavrikova »

Hello Winnifr,

thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad you don't hear the beep. I switched from headphones to speakers and I don't hear it on the speakers either. Perhaps it's just a problem with my headphones I never noticed before...

I tried recording again with a different angle but the audio quality was worse. I have a video call headset, I'm not sure how much more I can do with my current equipment. So I used the same audio but I found some tutorials to edit them out. Please listen below. Is it any better? I honestly can't hear the difference but the plosives looked smaller on the audio wave...

Thank you for your patience
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KristynaVavrikova wrote: April 20th, 2024, 4:00 am Hello Winnifr,

thank you so much for your feedback. I'm glad you don't hear the beep. I switched from headphones to speakers and I don't hear it on the speakers either. Perhaps it's just a problem with my headphones I never noticed before...

I tried recording again with a different angle but the audio quality was worse. I have a video call headset, I'm not sure how much more I can do with my current equipment. So I used the same audio but I found some tutorials to edit them out. Please listen below. Is it any better? I honestly can't hear the difference but the plosives looked smaller on the audio wave...

Thank you for your patience
Yes, that's better. You're ready to start recording!

I wonder what you mean by audio quality? Is it just volume? I believe that's all that would be affected and that can be adjusted. I encourage you to continue trying to record a bit farther from your mic (and beside it) as that's the best way to eliminate the plosives altogether plus the slight brushing sounds that result from being so close. You can play around with the volume and gain on your mic and in Audacity. See the information about volume in this post (screenshots included).

I suggest heading over to the "Readers Wanted: Short Works (Poetry & Prose)" forum to find your first recording. There are lots of short options there in all genres. Let the book coordinator of your first reading know if you want a different name than KristynaVavrikova in the Librivox catalogue (in the catalogue, you could have Kristyna Vavrikova with a space between if you like).

If you have questions along the way, the "Need Help? Got Advice?” forum is a useful place to get answers.

Happy reading!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)