[GROUP] A Year of Hymn Stories: A Primer of Hymnology, by Carl F. Price - brrot

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

More excellent recordings. Most only need the volume adjusted (all are too low) and then they should be PL OK.

please increase the volume by about 3.5 dB, this will get in near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB.

please increase the volume by about 4.5 dB, this will get in near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB.

please increase the volume by about 4.5 dB, this will get in near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB.

please increase the volume by about 5 dB, this will get in near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB.

Section 17 needs a few more changes
please increase the volume by about 4 dB, this will get in near the LibriVox ideal of 89 dB.
1:25 should be "before" instead of "after" in "the day before Whitsunday,"
please delete about 2.5 seconds of silence at the end

Thanks,

M
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BrotherMichael wrote: April 18th, 2024, 5:14 am Could I assist by taking sections 26, 27, and 28?
Oh, I did put you in for these, but I think I forgot to acknowledge that here.
Thank you for your interest in this project.

~ Larry
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

Fantastic, thank you.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thank you!
I've put these in the MW Ready for PL
Please stay tuned for your listening report.

~ Larry
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

You did a nice job with the reading. There are, however, issues with the recordings. Most of them have to do with the LibriVox requirements.

hs26
please delete about 1.5 seconds of silence at the start so that there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence
volume is barely above the minimum, amplify by about 3 dB, might then need to do some noise reduction on the file afterwards to bring that down
0:31 lots of background noise on the word "Temperance" would you mind either rerecording or cleaning it up
please add around 1.5 seconds of silence at the end so that there are approximately 5 seconds of silence

hs27
please delete over 1.5 seconds of silence at the start so that there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence
volume is barely above the minimum, amplify by about 2.5 dB,
then do some noise reduction on the file afterwards to bring that down as it is already near the maximum level
0:06 please delete "in" in "primer in" as it is corrected afterwards "of hymnology"
please add around 1 second of silence at the end so that there are approximately 5 seconds of silence, I would recommend reducing the noise for the
first 1.5 seconds of silence at the end.

hs28
please add about 0.5 seconds of silence at the start so that there is between 0.5 and 1 second of silence
volume is lower than the LibriVox minimum, amplify by about 4 dB,
then do some noise reduction on the file afterwards to bring that down as it is already near the maximum level
please add "section 28 of" at the beginning of the spoken words.
please add around 1 second of silence at the end so that there are approximately 5 seconds of silence,

Please let me know if you have any questions. Most of these fixes are fairly easy to do.

Thanks,

M
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

Thanks for the feedback. I clearly misinterpreted the gap at the start and was intentionally leaving a 2 second silence. Will get it corrected.

Can you share any info or resources where I can learn more about noise reduction? I see the section in Audacity on how to reduce it, but how do I measure it and what is the Librivox standard? I am using the checker app, and since it gave me the "passed" indication, I just went with it. Any info would be great so that I can correct these in the future before they go to PL.

Thanks!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BrotherMichael wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 11:26 am Thanks for the feedback. I clearly misinterpreted the gap at the start and was intentionally leaving a 2 second silence. Will get it corrected.

Can you share any info or resources where I can learn more about noise reduction? I see the section in Audacity on how to reduce it, but how do I measure it and what is the Librivox standard? I am using the checker app, and since it gave me the "passed" indication, I just went with it. Any info would be great so that I can correct these in the future before they go to PL.

Thanks!
Thanks for your inquiry. I'll do my best to help.
The Checker program will give you a readout on all the LV specs, except the beginning and ending silences. The requirements for these are giving in the recording instructions at the beginning of each project.

Beginning, between 0.5 and 1.0 second, at the end about 5 seconds. This is to prevent any audio being clipped in some play back apps. I always leave extra at beginning and end then just trim it, watching for extraneous noises, esp. at the end.

Then I always run noise reduction. I usually take my "noise profile" from the silence that I leave at the beginning and end.

LV doesn't have an absolute standard on background noise, although I think we should. Checker does have the ability to check for it, although I find it much to sensitive, so I seldom use it. Under the "Validation Method" tab you can click on "Choose Validation Method" and then check "Background Noise." But, I just go by what I hear through my good headphones.

Checker also gives a readout on volume in decibels because Audacity, for its plethora of functions and features, doesn't offer this. The LV standard is a target value of 89 dBs with and acceptable range of 86 - 92 dBs.

I think under the LV wiki section there are some video tutorials on these.

Let me know if you need some more help.
Glad to have you aboard! :)

~ Larry
BrotherMichael

Post by BrotherMichael »

Thanks!
proboomer

Post by proboomer »

Greetings,

Here are Sections 22 & 23

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/yearofhymnstories_22_price_128kb.mp3
2:31

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/yearofhymnstories_23_price_128kb.mp3
2:32

Please assign Sections 34 through 38 to me. Thanks!

Regards,

Proboomer