[GROUP/HUMOROUS FICTION] Where the Blue Begins, by Christopher Morley - kd

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Where the Blue Begins, by Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

Volunteers outside the USA: Christopher Morley died in 1957. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
In his collection Plum Pudding, Christopher Morley included two pieces about an unprepossessing mutt named “Haphazard Gissing I” with a gift for mischief. In The Powder of Sympathy, that mutt appeared three times. In between those two collections, Morley made Gissing the hero of his own novel, in which he adopts three puppies, has several career changes, and goes hunting for the meaning of life (“where the blue begins”).

“It was strange, since Gissing was so pleasantly situated in life, that he got into these curious adventures that I have to relate. I do not attempt to explain it.” (from Chapter 1 of Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley)

(Summary by Winnifred Assmann and Christopher Morley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1402

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Fictional Biographies & Memoirs

Keywords that describe the book: satire, dogs, humour, bildungsroman, anthropomorphism

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Chapter # of Where the Blue Begins. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Where the Blue Begins, by Christopher Morley. Chapter #."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #." [Optional, and only if not already in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Where the Blue Begins, by Christopher Morley."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: wherebluebegins_##_morley_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. wherebluebegins_01_morley_128kb.mp3) OR copy and paste the exact filename for your section from the Magic Window above.

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: KiltedDragon

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by Winnifred on April 18th, 2024, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

I will DPL this myself. I just need an MC.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

All set to go. :)
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

KiltedDragon wrote: April 18th, 2024, 5:16 pm All set to go. :)
Thanks! Magic Window is filled in and we're ready for readers.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

I'll read chapter 1 :)
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 19th, 2024, 6:34 pm I'll read chapter 1 :)
You’ve got it! Thanks, Shelly.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShayanRahmati1

Post by ShayanRahmati1 »

Hello! Can I read chapter 2 please :mrgreen:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShayanRahmati1 wrote: April 19th, 2024, 7:43 pm Hello! Can I read chapter 2 please :mrgreen:
Welcome to Librivox, Shayan.

Before you start recording, please make and submit a 1-minute test recording (1-minute test info) to make sure your recording set up is ok. Post your test in the Forum appropriately named Post Your 1-Minute Test Recording Here and an experienced LVer will review it and provide feedback (and/or approve it). If you use Audacity, version 3.4.2, this post provides information on how to get your settings right.

This isn’t an audition, but just to make sure your technical specifications work for Librivox. It would be a shame to record a section then have to redo it because some simple setting is incorrect.

After your test is approved, head back here and claim your section. I'll tentatively reserve Chapter 2 for you until May 3, pending that approval. When you return, please read the top of this thread carefully, as it contains all the instructions you'll need to submit your section.

I look forward to your first foray into reading for Librivox!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

OK this book is fun :mrgreen: I would like to read more, say 15, 16, and 17?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 20th, 2024, 7:50 am OK this book is fun :mrgreen: I would like to read more, say 15, 16, and 17?
All yours. Thanks!
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Here we go...

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_01_morley_128kb.mp3 (9:32)

I have a question :?: I accidentally left the page after uploading and had to upload it again. Is there a way to retrieve the already uploaded file instead of redoing it?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 20th, 2024, 8:57 am Here we go...

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/wherebluebegins_01_morley_128kb.mp3 (9:32)

I have a question :?: I accidentally left the page after uploading and had to upload it again. Is there a way to retrieve the already uploaded file instead of redoing it?
The MC will notice the double upload, and keep both, just labelling the earlier one with the date and time, so they don't get confused (and in case we ever need to go back to it). So you don't need to worry about the one you've already done; we see them both, and the later one will be used. It's not a big deal; it happens to all of us. (Just don't upload it 15 times as I hear has happened elsewhere. :lol: )

This chapter's ready for PL, thanks.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Hi Shelly,

Chapter 1 is PL OK and wonderfully read, but I have one suggestion you might want to try. I notice the background noise is flagged as "moderate" in Checker. It's not obtrusive enough to prevent this chapter from passing, but it would benefit from a round of noise reduction (set to 12, 6, and 3). I leave it up to you whether you want to do this or not.

Thanks,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Winnifred wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:25 am
Hi Shelly,

Chapter 1 is PL OK and wonderfully read, but I have one suggestion you might want to try. I notice the background noise is flagged as "moderate" in Checker. It's not obtrusive enough to prevent this chapter from passing, but it would benefit from a round of noise reduction (set to 12, 6, and 3). I leave it up to you whether you want to do this or not.

Thanks,
OK I have another question. A couple times I have received a noise flag and I could not figure out what noise it was talking about. Another time there was no flag and I did hear noise. Is it possible that the checker picks up artifacts from a previously saved file??

I have already used noise reduction on this, as well as some spot changes. I get concerned about overprocessing. :hmm:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ShellyW wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:04 pm
Winnifred wrote: April 20th, 2024, 11:25 am
Hi Shelly,

Thanks,
OK I have another question. A couple times I have received a noise flag and I could not figure out what noise it was talking about. Another time there was no flag and I did hear noise. Is it possible that the checker picks up artifacts from a previously saved file??

I have already used noise reduction on this, as well as some spot changes. I get concerned about overprocessing. :hmm:
Checker looks only at the last 5 seconds of the recording. If there’s background noise there, it’ll flag it. If it’s silent there, but there’s noise elsewhere, it won’t flag anything. And no, it couldn’t be from a previously saved file, as it doesn’t retain any information.

I find I can safely run two rounds of noise reduction on my files without any significant impairment of my recording (I often have to, as I record next to a refrigerator, and one round just isn’t enough if it’s running). But it’s up to you. It’s not super noisy, just a bit noticeable.

You could always run noise reduction, then listen to it and decide if the sound is ok before saving and re-exporting. If you don’t like what you hear, just close without saving.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: