[SCIENCE FICTION] The Onslaught from Rigel, by Fletcher Pratt - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Winnifred wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:37 pm Chapter 9 has been reopened for claims.

Cheers,
I'll take it if you'd like!
Cheers,
Claire

~~Books are like people, but usually more interesting~~
~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
The Boys' Book of Famous Rulers by Lydia Hoyt Farmer
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: April 15th, 2024, 5:17 pm
Winnifred wrote: April 14th, 2024, 7:37 pm Chapter 9 has been reopened for claims.

Cheers,
I'll take it if you'd like!
You've got it! Thanks. I'll PL it.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

AdamP wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:06 pm
Cbteddy wrote: April 5th, 2024, 5:25 am
AdamP wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 9:37 am

New version of Chapter 21 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaught_chapter_21.mp3 (19:31)
Hello Adam! Can you please re-upload the corrected section (with the volume in an acceptable range) with the correct file name? Once that is corrected, I'm happy to queue for proof listening and provide any feedback as needed.
One more time for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_21_pratt_128kb.mp3
Hello Adam! Welcome to Librivox, and congrats on your first recording! I enjoyed your pacing and the voices for the characters were quite amusing.

There are just a few edits needed. I've listed the approximate times where they fall within the recording, and have listed them from ending to beginning. If you make the updates in this order (end to beginning) the timing should align as changes are made. Once any updates are made, please re-upload the file (under the same file name) and post the new time and link in this thread so we can do a quick spot check.

Around 6:27 - repeat of "And since the earth is building up a lot of negative potential all the time, all you have to do is get your bird between you and the earth and then let go at him?" (I believe it's the second version you meant to keep in since it's in the right voice for the character that you're using).
Around 6:12 - omitted "See?" "...after the left-over positives till she grunts. See?"
Around 4:33 - omitted "into positive and negative charges." from "...we've been breaking up the atoms of lead into positive and negative charges." (I think you accidentally skipped to the next line, which is very similar in phrasing).

Consideration for future recordings - There does appear to be some clipping throughout your audio. If you look at your audio file, there are probably spikes that may flatten out towards the top, which means your audio can sound distorted. This can happen when you are a bit too close to the mic, or when you increase the volume of your voice. I would recommend to reduce the input volume for future recordings. There is a slider that looks like a mic on the right hand side at the top of the audacity screen. Or, you could also be a bit further away from the microphone so as your voice increases, it won't go over any audio thresholds.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Claire

~~I'm not addicted to reading. I can stop as soon as I finish the next chapter~~

Come read!
cssian

Post by cssian »

Chapter 23 is ready for review. Checkr approved with duration of 17:32:40.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_23_pratt_128kb.mp3

Please note: my "internal QA" noted two small defects:

--> [10:11] the original text "lined apparently" is read with the order of the words reversed
--> [15:06] the original text "For God's sake" is read in the plural sense ("sakes")

I hope you will see these as I do, as being not materially adverse to the original's information content or emotional arc.

But it's your call, of course. 8-)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

cssian wrote: April 17th, 2024, 6:56 pm Chapter 23 is ready for review. Checkr approved with duration of 17:32:40.

--> [10:11] the original text "lined apparently" is read with the order of the words reversed
--> [15:06] the original text "For God's sake" is read in the plural sense ("sakes")

I hope you will see these as I do, as being not materially adverse to the original's information content or emotional arc.

Thanks for the detailed notes for our proof listener. And for the file. Ready for PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cbteddy wrote: April 18th, 2024, 6:57 pm Hello! Here is chapter 9 (14:57).

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/onslaughtfromrigel_09_pratt_128kb.mp3
Thanks! It's PL OK and nicely read.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

cssian wrote: April 17th, 2024, 6:56 pm Chapter 23 is ready for review. Checkr approved with duration of 17:32:40.

Another very well read chapter! PL OK! No changes needed :)
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

Chapter 3 Onslaught from Reigel has been uploaded the time stamp is 12:16 for duration. I hope I did a good job on editing, lol.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 20th, 2024, 3:20 pm Chapter 3 Onslaught from Reigel has been uploaded the time stamp is 12:16 for duration. I hope I did a good job on editing, lol.
Thanks for the time stamp, but I don't see the link in your post. I've asked you this several times now, please include both the link and the time stamp when you post completed sections/corrections. This is standard across all Librivox projects. If you don't post it, we have to go hunting for your file, and most book coordinators will refuse to even consider your submission, as they don't have easy access to the files.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 20th, 2024, 3:20 pm Chapter 3 Onslaught from Reigel has been uploaded the time stamp is 12:16 for duration. I hope I did a good job on editing, lol.
I've dug out your file again, and it's in now the Magic Window for spot PL.

However, I notice that the beginning of your recording has been cut off, so it starts "from Rigel..." with no opening silence and the first few words removed. You'll need to correct that, but perhaps wait until you get feedback, if any, from Claire.

It's always a good idea to listen to your recordings before you upload and submit them. Most of us listen to our recordings at least once before submitting them (I listen to mine twice; once to compare it to the text and once just to refine any long silences or cut unwanted noises/clicks.) That's just good practice, and more respectful of the proof listener's time.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

Ok somehow I am missing the how to link part. I follow the uploading instructions, but somehow missing the link part, sorry about that. And will wait on the final PL to do the editing again if need be.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Cadence1 wrote: April 20th, 2024, 8:58 pm Ok somehow I am missing the how to link part. I follow the uploading instructions, but somehow missing the link part, sorry about that. And will wait on the final PL to do the editing again if need be.
To post the link here, you just have to copy the blue link that replaces your file name in the uploader after you click “Start upload”, and paste that link into your post here. You’ve done it successfully several times.

If you’ve made all the edits that Claire asked for, you won’t need to make them again. If you’re having difficulty with editing, we could help, but you haven’t explained what you’re finding difficult, or what program you’re using and which instructions you’ve looked at so far, so it’s hard to even know where to begin.

Claire will be providing feedback, likely tomorrow, and then we can see where we are.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Cadence1

Post by Cadence1 »

Ok that helps. The difficulty is the mere fact I have over the years actively avoided using computers, lol. And this is a jumping feet first and eyes closed kinda thing. But I assure you I will get better over time.
Cbteddy

Post by Cbteddy »

Hello! In addition to adding the missing intro onto the recording, there are just 3 final edits to be made. Please see below. Two just need to have quick edits to have the extra wording removed, and the third just requires a quick redo of the segment I've listed below. So close to being all set!

Around 10:55 - heard "but he mentioned them wordlessly on" should be "but he motioned them wordlessly on"
Around 10:28 - longer pause during "without deigning to reply to this protest," (also, it's day-ning if you'd like to correct that pronunciation when you re-record that line)
Around 6:15 - stumble during "Thought I asked you two to go with the boys for some coal,"
Cheers,
Claire

Come read!