editing / checker/ mp3

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DRomeo

Post by DRomeo »

Hi all,

New here and a little confused. I downloaded checker. The files have to be in mp3 to use checker I believe. If I export the files as mp3 and they don't pass am I going back and reediting an mp3 file? I was told on the audacity forum not to edit an mp3 file because the quality will be poor. Advice? Tx!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I think you misunderstood the advice. Nearly everyone does some editing after recording . What did checker say?

Anne
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

What I do is save the audacity project and go back to that for any edits needed rather than edit the MP3 file. Then export a new MP3 file from audacity.
DRomeo

Post by DRomeo »

the advice wasn't to not do editing it was to not do editing on an mp3 file but it has to be an mp3 file to use checker. I can't remember exactly what checker the dB level was 93.2 and it failed. I know it's close but I couldn't get it right.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

DRomeo wrote: April 17th, 2024, 4:15 pm the advice wasn't to not do editing it was to not do editing on an mp3 file but it has to be an mp3 file to use checker. I can't remember exactly what checker the dB level was 93.2 and it failed. I know it's close but I couldn't get it right.
You'll go back to your original Audacity file to do any edits, then re-export the file to mp3 before running it through Checker again. Sounds like your volume was too high (acceptable range is between 86 and 92 dB). You can fix the volume by selecting the entire track, clicking "Effect > Loudness Normalization" set to "-19LUFS" and "Perceived Loudness," then click "Apply." That will bring it down to an acceptable level. Check to see that there isn't anything else that needs fixing (in Checker) before uploading it.

Hope that helps?

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)