[HUMOROUS ESSAYS] The Powder of Sympathy, by Christopher Morley - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Betsy, I cleaned up the end - removed my name and eliminated the stray “2024” (well, it went out with my name anyway). I hope this version is OK:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_28_morley_128kb.mp3
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 2:03 pm Thanks, Betsy. A few questions, since I’m new to this.

I assume I should make changes and resubmit, right?

Deleting something at the end is easy, but I’m not sure how to make a change in the middle of a clip. Is there a simple explanation or a wiki you can point me to that tells me how to do this?
I drafted an explanation of this for another user recently, complete with screenshots, that you might find useful. Let me know if this doesn't answer your questions.

To re-record a short bit, here is what you need to do in Audacity:

Listen to your recording until you get to the spot where the fix or replacement is needed.

You can either listen to it all the way through (more time consuming) or use the magnifying glass (see top row below: + to zoom in and – to zoom out) to reduce the length of the track so you can see more of the track and go to exactly the spot you need to work on (see the timestamp just above the wave form below):

magnifying glass

Put your cursor at the start of the section you want to replace.

place cursor where you want to listen or edit

Then mute the track (mute button is on the left side of your screen, next to the blue waveform).

mute the track

Then press Shift on your keyboard and the round red Record button at the same time, let go and start speaking. This will start a recording on a new track below your existing one. Your new recording will likely have a bit of silence before it starts so it won’t line up exactly with the original.

Record until you’ve finished the bit and press the square black Stop button. Listen to your new recording.
If you’re happy with it, select the part you just read and press Command-C to copy your new text.

Mute the new track and paste your new recording over top of the original (by pressing Command-v).

Your old and new recordings will be roughly the same length, so you’ll be able to see how much to copy over.

When you’ve finished, put your cursor a bit earlier in your original recording, unmute it, and listen to it to see if you’re happy with it. If you are, you can delete the (now muted) new track (look for the x to the left of your track and click it to delete the new track).

click X to delete track

If you do anything you later regret, you can always undo it by pressing Command-Z.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 2:15 pm Betsy, I cleaned up the end - removed my name and eliminated the stray “2024” (well, it went out with my name anyway). I hope this version is OK:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_28_morley_128kb.mp3
Ready for spot PL. I assume you also ensured there were 5 seconds of silence at the end, as Betsy asked?

Just to clarify, all Librivox recordings require between 0.5 and 1 second of silence at the start and 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Thanks,
Last edited by Winnifred on April 17th, 2024, 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

You are a really engaging reader, Christopher! Just two comments:
--Title is “Powder” not “Power”
--Your name as read name should only be at the start or finish, not both.

Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
tshoes76

Post by tshoes76 »

Thanks, Winnifred. I believe I fixed the recording, although I did it differently and much less efficiently. I will try to follow your instructions next time. Here is the new upload:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_38_morley_128kb.mp3

BTW, and this is a stupid question, when I want to reply to your message, do I just hit the main “Reply” button at the top, or is there a way to reply to a specific message?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

tshoes76 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 2:53 pm Here is the new upload:

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_38_morley_128kb.mp3

BTW, and this is a stupid question, when I want to reply to your message, do I just hit the main “Reply” button at the top, or is there a way to reply to a specific message?
There are no stupid questions. Yes, there is a way to reply to a specific message (and quote the contents). Just click on the quotation marks just above and to the right of the message you want to reply to. That'll copy the entire contents of that message to the top of your reply, and you can start your response below it. You can trim the contents if you only want to retain part of the quoted message (as I've done above), but be careful to keep the opening and closing code (the stuff in square brackets starting with the name of the user whose content is being quoted), or the formatting will mess up, making it a bit harder to read.

Section 38 is ready for spot PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Sorry I've been out of touch. I'll be able to do the spot PLs tomorrow. - Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

Here are Sections 25 and 32 for PL. I uploaded Section 25 twice, as I forgot my name credit and had to add it in, so the later version is the right one (relevant only to our MC).

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_25_morley_128kb.mp3 (4:24)
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_32_morley_128kb.mp3 (9:15)

For any readers here who enjoy Christopher Morley's humour, I've just started up his Where the Blue Begins as a group project. It's a novel all about Gissing, the "Synthetic Hound."

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Winnifred wrote: April 19th, 2024, 4:22 pm Here are Sections 25 and 32 for PL. I uploaded Section 25 twice, as I forgot my name credit and had to add it in, so the later version is the right one (relevant only to our MC).

No problem! The only time it is when someone uploads their files 15 times each. I wish I was exaggerating. :roll:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

icequeen wrote: April 19th, 2024, 8:33 pm
Winnifred wrote: April 19th, 2024, 4:22 pm Here are Sections 25 and 32 for PL. I uploaded Section 25 twice, as I forgot my name credit and had to add it in, so the later version is the right one (relevant only to our MC).

No problem! The only time it is when someone uploads their files 15 times each. I wish I was exaggerating. :roll:
Oh, dear… yes, I can see how that might slow you down.
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
BetsyWalker

Post by BetsyWalker »

Back in the game again today. Sorry I was absent for a day. All the recent PLs and Spot PLs are good, as noted in the MW. :clap: :clap: Betsy
Betsy in Santa Fe
ChristopherKloko

Post by ChristopherKloko »

BetsyWalker wrote: April 17th, 2024, 2:36 pm

Betsy
Thanks Betsy! I’m looking forward to finding my next project!

Changes made. Here you go:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_04_morley_128kb.mp3 (4:25)
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

ChristopherKloko wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 10:43 am
BetsyWalker wrote: April 17th, 2024, 2:36 pm

Betsy
Thanks Betsy! I’m looking forward to finding my next project!

Changes made. Here you go:
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_04_morley_128kb.mp3 (4:25)
Thanks. Ready for spot PL!

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
JohnLeloup

Post by JohnLeloup »

Hello,
Here is section 20 of The Powder of Sympathy, Matthew Arnold and Exodontia.
Thanks,
JL

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_20_morley_128kb.mp3
File Time: 16:57.
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

JohnLeloup wrote: April 23rd, 2024, 11:29 am Hello,
Here is section 20 of The Powder of Sympathy, Matthew Arnold and Exodontia.
Thanks,
JL

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/powderofsympathy_20_morley_128kb.mp3
File Time: 16:57.
Thanks, John. Ready for PL.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted: