{SOLO/Poetry} Yanks A.E.F. Verse from WWI - kd

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
johng

Post by johng »

Yanks - A.E.F. (American Expeditionary Forces) Verse from WWI, by various
Introduced by Stars and Stripes editor, John T. Winterich (1891-1970) this is a compilation of poetry by members of the American Expeditionary forces in the last 9 months of WWI and the first 7 months of peace after the war. (Summary by John Greenman)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/69980

Target completion date: 2024-06-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (20th C); *Non-fiction/War & Military; *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs; *Non-fiction/Essays & Short Works; *Non-fiction/Literary Collections/Short non-fiction; *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: world war one poetry, wwi verse, american expeditionary forces, poetry on the frontline

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Yanks - A.E.F. (American Expeditionary Forces) Verse from WWI. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Yanks - A.E.F. (American Expeditionary Forces) Verse from WWI, by various. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"[Poem title] by [author], read by John Greenman for LibriVox dot org"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of poem. This recording is in the public domain."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Yanks - A.E.F. (American Expeditionary Forces) Verse from WWI, by various."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: yanksaefversewwi_##_various_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. yanksaefversewwi_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: KiltedDragon

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by johng on April 21st, 2024, 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
johng

Post by johng »

BIG QUESTION!!!!
Can the individual poems (some of them quite short) be individualized in files??
Otherwise, can someone suggest a way to categorize groups of the poems?
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

johng wrote: April 16th, 2024, 7:50 am BIG QUESTION!!!!
Can the individual poems (some of them quite short) be individualized in files??
Otherwise, can someone suggest a way to categorize groups of the poems?
I have done a few collections like this and simply---rather arbitrarily---decide on a number of poems for each section and then charge on. To listen to individual, short poems is tedious for me, especially as we use the intro each time (even though it can be the short form.)
johng

Post by johng »

Thanks!
I’ll work on keeping the size of sections to under 30 minutes.
I agree about hearing the intro too much! Wish it were even shorter!!🧐🤨
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

KevinS wrote: April 16th, 2024, 9:18 pm I have done a few collections like this and simply---rather arbitrarily---decide on a number of poems for each section and then charge on. To listen to individual, short poems is tedious for me, especially as we use the intro each time (even though it can be the short form.)
The one advantage of having each poem as a separate section is that it allows the listener to pick and choose which poems they listen to rather than having to listen to the whole lot.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
johng

Post by johng »

alanmapstone wrote: April 17th, 2024, 8:30 am
KevinS wrote: April 16th, 2024, 9:18 pm I have done a few collections like this and simply---rather arbitrarily---decide on a number of poems for each section and then charge on. To listen to individual, short poems is tedious for me, especially as we use the intro each time (even though it can be the short form.)
The one advantage of having each poem as a separate section is that it allows the listener to pick and choose which poems they listen to rather than having to listen to the whole lot.
I agree....but the ONE advantage, I think, is overshadowed by the "trauma" of having to listen to all the intro /extra material!
grumble, grumble!!!!
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
johng

Post by johng »

I've figured 16 sections should do it...giving about 10 "pages" per section.
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

johng wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:34 am I agree....but the ONE advantage, I think, is overshadowed by the "trauma" of having to listen to all the intro /extra material!
grumble, grumble!!!!
If you use the short poetry disclaimer rather the one you specify it can be less tedious.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
johng

Post by johng »

alanmapstone wrote: April 17th, 2024, 11:07 am
johng wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:34 am I agree....but the ONE advantage, I think, is overshadowed by the "trauma" of having to listen to all the intro /extra material!
grumble, grumble!!!!
If you use the short poetry disclaimer rather the one you specify it can be less tedious.
Great idea!!
I'll look for that.
:-)
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hi John, I will MC for you. MW is set up. I counted 84 poems plus the Foreward; let me know if the number of sections is not correct. Use the long disclaimer for the Foreward and use the shorter disclaimer I added that is used in the poetry collections for the remainder. Since not all of the poems have an author, we can't add the authors name and since this is a solo, I think you could just say "[Poem title], read for LibriVox dot org" if you don't want to add your name to each one. I also shortened the filename as it was a little long. Hopefully, this is all correct. One of the other admins may come along and correct me if it isn't.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
johng

Post by johng »

Thanks so much, Barry!!
I think this sounds like the best way to go! I wish I didn’t have to say “recorded for LibriVox” at the beginning of each one, however
Could that go at the end of each one, instead??
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

butting in , and this can be deleted but personally listening to poetry I like to have a thinking time between them . Are you planning to read the names, ranks etc of each verse ? In some ways that is part of the relevance.

Anne
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

He is planning on reading each poem as a separate section. Some of the poems have the authors name and rank, some just have the name, some just have the initials, and some have nothing. Those that have identification have it listed at the end of the poem and it could easily be read that way.
Barry
My Recordings
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here's another option:

Group the poems, let's say three or four (could vary depending on length of poems) so each poem could still be listed in the MW, and hence in the TOC for the completed book. That way the listener can still see exactly what poems are in the book and which section they are in. For the intro, just the title of each poem, fowled by author if given, then poem, and a voice credit, if desired at the end of the last poem. But, I don't think there is any problem doing each poem as a separate section, even the short ones. That is probably the way I would set it up if it were a group project anyway.

Did anyone volunteer as DPL yet?
If not, I'd be glad to.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

John, we are going to go with the disclaimers the way they are in the template. You can leave your name off if you choose to do so. For the poems with no author, you could leave that blank though saying “author unknown” would let the listener know it was not just forgotten.
Barry
My Recordings