[SCIENCE] Scientific American Supplement, No. 795, March 28, 1891, by Various - thw

Short Poetry Collections, Short Story Collections, and our Weekly Poetry Project
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

Section 4 completed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_04_various_128kb.mp3
6:52

I verbalized the medical abbreviations in full for the "Rx"; hopefully this is ok. But I was not sure of what "ad 120" meant nor how I should say it. Saying "A.D." seemed incorrect since there were no periods after the letters, so I went with "ad", as written.

I wrote some additional semi-off-topic comments on this section:
viewtopic.php?t=102424

Section 17: Stereoscopic projections
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_17_various_128kb.mp3
7:56
(this section was much less controversial)

(Edit: fixed filenames/uploads to remove an extra ".mp3" i had added)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

quartertone wrote: April 15th, 2024, 4:35 pm Section 4 completed.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_04_various_128kb.mp3
6:52

I verbalized the medical abbreviations in full for the "Rx"; hopefully this is ok. But I was not sure of what "ad 120" meant nor how I should say it. Saying "A.D." seemed incorrect since there were no periods after the letters, so I went with "ad", as written.

I wrote some additional semi-off-topic comments on this section:
viewtopic.php?t=102424

Section 17: Stereoscopic projections
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_17_various_128kb.mp3
7:56
(this section was much less controversial)

(Edit: fixed filenames/uploads to remove an extra ".mp3" i had added)
Thank you!
These are both in the MW Ready for PL

Your reading is most excellent and you handle that horrible Rx adroitly. I'm fairly familiar with standard medical terminology and abbreviations, but "ad" is a pretty obscure. I found that it is Latin and means, "up to" according to this document: https://mn.gov/boards/assets/prescription%20abbreviations_tcm21-26882.pdf Don't think it means right ear in this case. :lol:
But please not give me tincture of belladona and leave my turbinates alone. :mrgreen:

Good comments.

~ Larry
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 4, 17

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

I'm enjoying these scientific readings.
I would like to do the "Gaseous Illuminants" sections (14,15,16)

I have questions about how the charts should be read though.
I think it would be confusing for the listener to just read the numbers as they appear, so I was thinking for example the "Size of Chimney" table would sound something like:
- Size of chimney: 6 x 1 and 7/8ths, Height of flame: 2 and 1/2, Candle Power: 21
- Size of chimney: 7 x 1 and 7/8ths, Height of flame: 2 and 1/4, Candle Power: 21.3
- (etc)
And similarly for the other tables.
For the two tables where the column totals are displayed ("100.000") I was thinking I would omit these totals since are just kind of plopped there at the end (they appear to convey that the numbers add up to 100) and there's not a good way to vocalize them without sounding like they're random numbers floating in the acoustic mist.

Is there a "Librivox Standard" way to read tables of numbers?
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

quartertone wrote: April 16th, 2024, 3:51 pm I'm enjoying these scientific readings.
I would like to do the "Gaseous Illuminants" sections (14,15,16)

I have questions about how the charts should be read though.
I think it would be confusing for the listener to just read the numbers as they appear, so I was thinking for example the "Size of Chimney" table would sound something like:
- Size of chimney: 6 x 1 and 7/8ths, Height of flame: 2 and 1/2, Candle Power: 21
- Size of chimney: 7 x 1 and 7/8ths, Height of flame: 2 and 1/4, Candle Power: 21.3
- (etc)
And similarly for the other tables.
For the two tables where the column totals are displayed ("100.000") I was thinking I would omit these totals since are just kind of plopped there at the end (they appear to convey that the numbers add up to 100) and there's not a good way to vocalize them without sounding like they're random numbers floating in the acoustic mist.

Is there a "Librivox Standard" way to read tables of numbers?
To answer your last question first, "No." Each table, chart, etc. has its own format and emphasis.

What you've outlined above is exactly how I would handle these charts! As you indicated, we have to keep the listener in mind who probably is not following the page. So it has to make sense that way.

Some tables can be read either across or down. Lets say a list of 10 imports in the first column, then a column for each year. So one could read the product, then go across for each year. Or, one could pick a year and go down for each product. The two methods would give a slightly different emphasis. But, in general, I find that most tables work best reading across like this. So, it gets a little redundant, but it is usually the best way. There might be a few exceptions, of course.

I've put you in for 14-16 with a grateful heart. :) :)

~ Larry
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

With great (ok, maybe not that great) effort and frustration I have completed the Gaseous Illuminants sections!

I need to stop picking sections with such annoyingly unwieldy sentences with multiple levels of dependent clauses and phrases that it twists the mind into a jumble.

Section 14
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_14_various_128kb.mp3
14:48

(I wasn't sure what "3s. 6d. per 1,000 cubic feet" meant so I read it as written.)

Section 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_15_various_128kb.mp3
16:31

Saffron 16
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_16_various_128kb.mp3
21:22

I read one of the tables ("Gases escaping from the outer zone of flame", section 15 ~ 8:20) in a vertical orientation because it seemed to make sense at that time. I also recorded a version of this table where I read it in the horizontal orientation (like I did the other tables). I think it's probably a minor/non-issue but do like the potential consistency of the replacement version. If you agree, I can replace it with the horizontal version; if you think it's fine as is, I'll leave it alone.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

quartertone wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:17 am With great (ok, maybe not that great) effort and frustration I have completed the Gaseous Illuminants sections!

I need to stop picking sections with such annoyingly unwieldy sentences with multiple levels of dependent clauses and phrases that it twists the mind into a jumble.

Section 14
14:48

(I wasn't sure what "3s. 6d. per 1,000 cubic feet" meant so I read it as written.)

Section 15
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/sciamsuppl795march1891_15_various_128kb.mp3
16:31

Saffron 16
21:22

I read one of the tables ("Gases escaping from the outer zone of flame", section 15 ~ 8:20) in a vertical orientation because it seemed to make sense at that time. I also recorded a version of this table where I read it in the horizontal orientation (like I did the other tables). I think it's probably a minor/non-issue but do like the potential consistency of the replacement version. If you agree, I can replace it with the horizontal version; if you think it's fine as is, I'll leave it alone.
Thank you for your vigorous effort on these!
I'm sure the orientation of the tables will be fine. I'll let our DPL offer an opinion as he listens.

"3s. 6d. per 1,000 cubic feet" should be read "three shillings, 6 six pence."

Most scientists are poor writers. :mrgreen:

(accidentally sent this as a PM)

These are Ready for PL

~ Larry
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

silverquill wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:53 am "3s. 6d. per 1,000 cubic feet" should be read "three shillings, 6 six pence."
Ah, thanks! I will update this when I get a chance this weekend.

Fascinating how monetary (and other])abbreviations come about. Apparently the "d" is a reference to the denarius, the Roman penny equivalent!
Lanuzahuck

Post by Lanuzahuck »

Hello,

I would like to record section 6: Floating Elevator and Spoil Distributor.

As a preface: I am new, but I feel this is a pretty good place to start. I have already submitted my 1-Minute test and was told to look for projects in this forum.

Please let let me know if you need more information.

Thank you,
-Evan
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lanuzahuck wrote: April 20th, 2024, 3:42 pm Hello,

As a preface: I am new, but I feel this is a pretty good place to start. I have already submitted my 1-Minute test and was told to look for projects in this forum.

Thank you,
-Evan
Thank you for your interest in this project!

I am pleased to have you make your LibriVox debut with us. I just need to know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, pseudonym, or any nickname/handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.

~ Larry
Lanuzahuck

Post by Lanuzahuck »

silverquill wrote: April 20th, 2024, 5:25 pm
Lanuzahuck wrote: April 20th, 2024, 3:42 pm Hello,

Thank you,
-Evan
Thank you for your interest in this project!

I am pleased to have you make your LibriVox debut with us. I just need to know how you would like to be listed in the LibriVox catalog. This can be your real name, pseudonym, or any nickname/handle you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV work.
You can list as Evan Lanuza-H.

Thank you,
-Evan
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

quartertone wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:34 am
silverquill wrote: April 19th, 2024, 10:53 am "3s. 6d. per 1,000 cubic feet" should be read "three shillings, 6 six pence."

Fascinating how monetary (and other])abbreviations come about. Apparently the "d" is a reference to the denarius, the Roman penny equivalent!

Fixed section 14 - please note new duration.
14:47

Sections 14,15,16 should be ready for PL now!

(Also , I notice that 17 is showing "assigned", but I think it's already been PL ok'd)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Lanuzahuck wrote: April 21st, 2024, 11:35 am
You can list as Evan Lanuza-H.

Thank you,
-Evan
That's great!
I've added you to the LibriVox catalog and assigned you Section 6.
Just click on your name in the Magic Window to view your personal reader page. This is where you can track all of your LV projects of which I hope there will be many!

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap: :clap:

~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

quartertone wrote: April 21st, 2024, 4:09 pm
quartertone wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:34 am

Fixed section 14 - please note new duration.
14:47

Sections 14,15,16 should be ready for PL now!

(Also , I notice that 17 is showing "assigned", but I think it's already been PL ok'd)
Thank you!
I've updated the Magic Window.

Our DPL has been under the weather so a little behind, but should be caught up pretty soon. I did not do a full PL of Section 17 -- just enough to see what ad was all about and how you did with that Rx. Very impressed by how you handled this challenging passage.

Thanks so much for your skillful contributions to this project! :D

~ Larry
quartertone

Post by quartertone »

silverquill wrote: April 21st, 2024, 9:21 pm Thank you!
I've updated the Magic Window.

Our DPL has been under the weather so a little behind, but should be caught up pretty soon. I did not do a full PL of Section 17 -- just enough to see what ad was all about and how you did with that Rx. Very impressed by how you handled this challenging passage.

Thanks so much for your skillful contributions to this project! :D

No problem.
I kind of do my own PL sometimes also.
I found a small repeat at the end of section 16, so I uploaded the new version

21:16