Questions about Volunteer 1min recording

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
katieowsley0103

Post by katieowsley0103 »

Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking to start my volunteering journey recording and narrating audiobooks maybe even poems.

What do I record for one minute is there a specific poem? Or chapter of a book I'm supposed to record myself narrating.

What do I name my file?

Can the recording be done by a digital recording app on android uploaded audacity?
Winnifred

Post by Winnifred »

katieowsley0103 wrote: April 16th, 2024, 9:49 am Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking to start my volunteering journey recording and narrating audiobooks maybe even poems.

What do I record for one minute is there a specific poem? Or chapter of a book I'm supposed to record myself narrating.

What do I name my file?

Can the recording be done by a digital recording app on android uploaded audacity?
Hi Katie, and welcome to Librivox!

Yes, there's a specific text you can use for the 1 minute test (it doesn't have to be a full minute). Check out this page, which also contains links to the Wiki page where you can find that suggested text. You can name the file anything you like (test_yourname is a frequently used format), but make sure you follow the uploading instructions exactly.

I'm not sure I understand your last question. Perhaps you could specify exactly what you mean here? Are you proposing to record on an android phone and then upload to Audacity for editing? I think that would work, but I'm not sure. You'll probably find it easier to record on a computer and work in a program like Audacity, as there's almost always some editing required before your file is ready for submission. And recordings done with a proper mic are much higher in quality than recording straight into a phone.

If you are using Audacity, check out Audacity 3.4.2 user? How to pass this test for instructions with screenshots of how to set up your Audacity to record a test with all the right technical specifications.

If you still have questions, feel free to ask. Others may have more answers for you.

Cheers,
Winnifred

Readers Wanted:
Where the Blue Begins by Christopher Morley (humorous novel about a "Synthetic Hound" named Haphazard Gissing I.)
Potemkin Village by Fletcher Pratt (science fiction novelet)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome :D
There are members who have recorded with mobile phones. Do the test as per instructions and upload it and post the link so we can check the "technical bits" and if needed can give you advice about your equipment and how you could fix any problems. Everyone was new once. Do just check you welcome email or the link you've been given and post

Anne