SOLO - Lord Peter Views the Body, by Dorothy L. Sayers - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Result currently -- section 6, at about 16 minutes for about 90 seconds I hear a high pitched background noise that I can't get rid of. It's not utterly egregious, I think. What say you?
Section 6 is only about 10 minutes, and I'm listening around that point in section 5 and hear nothing. I'll try listening for it when I get to it in PL'ing.

I'll run the crossword solution idea past the other admins, but I'm thinking since all the text is in the book, it may be okay. I think the section should be titled something like "Solution to Crossword Puzzle in Chapter 3" and could be read:
Across.

I.1. Foolish or wise, yet one remains alone, 'Twixt Strength and Justice on a heavenly throne. [Answer:] VIRGO: The sign of the zodiac between LEO (strength) and LIBRA (justice). Allusion to parable of The Ten Virgins.

I.3. Dusty though my fellows be, We are a kingly company. [Answer:] R.S.: Royal Society, whose ‘‘fellows’’ are addicted to studies usually considered dry-as-dust.
The order could either be as in the story itself or in the solution.

I do see that most of the clues don't have an explanation, though. Are you thinking of reading just the clue and answer to the ones without an explanation, or leaving them out of the recording?

(Section 4 PL OK!)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I didn't hear any noises through my crappy laptop speakers.

5 PL OK.

6: The text ends around 10:20, and the "end of chapter" note starts around 10:27. The pause there is a bit too long. :)

Yes, I think it would be good to have that separate section with ALL the solutions, for the fun of it. Otherwise it does lose something. To make the little side comments relevant, I think I'd recommend essentially taking the reading of the clues in the chapter, including the side comments, and integrating the solutions into that - in that order.

And I think we/I should put the crossword puzzle image somewhere on the cover or catalog page or something - probably in the cover PDF; that way people can view or print it and try to figure it out for themselves if they like. :hmm:
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Brilliant suggestions all. To be clear, I'll add a fourth section to the chapter 3 collection of sections, in which I literally paste exactly the listing of the crossword clues across and down, that is, I'm duplicating that section which is currently in chapter 3 part 2. And on top of that I will splice in the answers. The only departures from the legal gold standard, then, are that this fourth section is the last part chapter 3. In fact, even the this section title can be exactly the title sayers used for her 13th section, namely, solution to Uncle Meleager's crossword.

Sorry about the excessive silence at the end of section 6. It was extremely irritating to record because my upstairs neighbor was making so incredibly much noise (never on schedule so I can't plan when to record) that I actually recorded this chapter in nine separate sections and then inevitably got a little confused about which intros and outros had been used etc.
– Kirsten

A person who won't read* has no advantage over one who can't. – Twain

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

A question you raised, which I didn't respond to, has to do with whether the crossword puzzle clues and answers are read separately or together.

Sayers relegates the answers not just to the end of the chapter but to the miscellanea at the very end of the book. I cannot but imagine that anyone writing today would place the clues and answers in one country, if not a single province or provincial capital.

I think the reason she did this is that the puzzle is concerned almost exclusively with references to biblical, historical and mythological characters and events -- that is, The sort of thing " everybody knows" as a result of the knowledge osmosis which transmits a Renaissance education to all men and, in her time, also to some women residing within the" four mile radius"
8-)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

My fall back computer just died also. That means I can't record the text because I can't read it.

Still searching for solutions.

K
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, no!
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

Someone's giving me a new-ish laptop this Saturday, so I'll be back as soon as I can use it (Chromebook -- apparently an operating system that's neither Windows nor Apple )

It's HORRID to have no computer! I'd rather go without dessert for the rest of my life! 8-)
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Oh, good!

It sounds like Audacity is able to be installed on a Chromebook, so that's good. 8-)
Kirsten Wever

Post by Kirsten Wever »

My computer donor is my super-tech "ex", who tells me Chromebooks are serious improvements on PCs and MACs (lighter, faster, and so on).

And get this: he's giving me TWO :!: -- one to sell, so I can repair Ernie, my 26 year old Honda. 8-) (He's changed jobs thrice in four years, and was given a new computer every time.)

See you anon.
– Kirsten

* or at least listen!