[S0LO] The Mother by Pearl S. Buck - kd

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
msfry

Post by msfry »

The Mother by Pearl S. Buck (1892 - 1973)

Volunteers outside the USA: Pearl Buck died in 1973. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
As with Pearl Buck's most famous novel, The Good Earth, this book also describes peasant life in rural China only 150 years ago--from a woman's perspective. Life was gruelingly hard. The people were provincial, illiterate, mostly uneducated. And yet, this book captures the dignity, pleasures, hopes, fears and dreams shared among women despite their extreme poverty. Themes of male chauvinism, crime, lust, greed, injustice, governmental tyranny, gambling, abortion, etc., are all masterfully woven into the narrative of one unnamed mother's love, without a moment of preaching, in this poignantly beautiful story. (Summary by Michele Fry, BC and Soloist)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/68577/pg68577-images.html

Target completion date: 2024-09-15

Prooflistening level: Special, please read along with the text and notate any discrepancies you consider significant. Crits/comments welcome.
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Culture & Heritage Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: marriage, china, gambling, peasantry, motherhood, childbearing

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"The Mother, by Pearl S. Buck, first published in 1934. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org. [Optional: "Read by your name.] The Mother, Chapter 1"
For the second and subsequent sections, use the shortened intro:
"Chapter #, Part # (as shown in the MW) of The Mother, by Pearl S. Buck. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name." "Chapter #, Part #(as shown in the MW.)"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of Chapter #, Part #." (Can leave off Part #2)
For the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Mother, by Pearl S. Buck.", thanks for listening, etc.
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: themother_##_buck_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. themother_01_buck_128kb.mp3)
NOTE TO MC: I named my files "themother" to distinguish from the previous version whose files are named "mother".

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: KiltedDragon

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by msfry on April 28th, 2024, 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'd be glad to join you as DPL, Michele :D

~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Larry. I look forward to working with you. :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

First 3 chapters are recorded. 1 is ready for upload as soon as we get an MC. I haven't done a solo in over a year so this is pretty exciting.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

I will MC for you. The MW is ready to go. Will move to Going Solo after you have seen this.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Barry. I will get the MW filled in tomorrow, and upload Chapter 1.

HOUSEKEEPING NOTE: I notice that a search for Pearl S. Buck on LV renders "no results". A search for Pearl Buck brings us to an LV author page called "Pearl Buck" and lists Version 1 of this book and here the Wiki link says Pearl Buck, but the Wikipedia page linked to is Pearl S. Buck. The text being read from shows Pearl S. Buck on the cover, which is the actual name she is known by. Can you change Pearl Buck to Pearl S. Buck, and make it so the search bar finds the author page by either name?
msfry

Post by msfry »

Chapter 1 is uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/themother_01_buck_128kb.mp3 27:29

Please let me know if the background noise is too high. It passes Checker, but at the high end. For some reason I can't hear it.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

msfry wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:54 pm
HOUSEKEEPING NOTE: I notice that a search for Pearl S. Buck on LV renders "no results". A search for Pearl Buck brings us to an LV author page called "Pearl Buck" and lists Version 1 of this book and here the Wiki link says Pearl Buck, but the Wikipedia page linked to is Pearl S. Buck. The text being read from shows Pearl S. Buck on the cover, which is the actual name she is known by. Can you change Pearl Buck to Pearl S. Buck, and make it so the search bar finds the author page by either name?
Just to let you both know, I've corrected this in the database.
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: April 16th, 2024, 2:56 pm Just to let you both know, I've corrected this in the database.
Most excellenté. Thank you. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Marking all three PL OK!

Your narrative is excellent, and did not put me to sleep. :lol:

Adding in coughs is not easy, but you did it well. And, the voice changes are just enough to give me the sense of different people speaking. So, you are certainly on the right track. :thumbs:

~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »

Great! Just the corroboration I needed. 4 and 5 will be along shortly. Now it gets juicy!
msfry

Post by msfry »

silverquill

Post by silverquill »

msfry wrote: April 21st, 2024, 10:20 am Here is 4.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kilteddragon/themother_04_buck_128kb.mp3 24:04
PL OK

Blaming her for bearing children?

~ Larry
msfry

Post by msfry »