SOLO - Doctor Dolittle in the Moon [Doctor Dolittle #8], by Hugh Lofting (1886 - 1947) - kd

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

Doctor Dolittle in the Moon [Doctor Dolittle #8], by Hugh Lofting (1886 - 1947)
Doctor Dolittle travels to the Moon where he discovers a new world of animals and even plants to study and communicate with. Back on Earth his friends wonder if he'll ever come home again. (Summary by Shelly)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.fadedpage.com/books/20220152/html.php

Target completion date: 2024-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Action & Adventure

Keywords that describe the book: fiction, animals, juvenile, moon, doctor dolittle (fictional character)

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of Doctor Dolittle in the Moon [Doctor Dolittle #8]. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Doctor Dolittle in the Moon [Doctor Dolittle #8], by Hugh Lofting. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Doctor Dolittle in the Moon [Doctor Dolittle #8], by Hugh Lofting. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Doctor Dolittle in the Moon [Doctor Dolittle #8], by Hugh Lofting."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: doctordolittleinthemoon_##_lofting_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. doctordolittleinthemoon_01_lofting_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: KiltedDragon

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by ShellyW on April 13th, 2024, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is a different text source than you verified. This one doesn't give the edition it was read from, so it's more suspect. You should record from the Faded Page edition.

(I'm not MC'ing; I'm full up on projects right now.)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: April 13th, 2024, 6:15 am This is a different text source than you verified. This one doesn't give the edition it was read from, so it's more suspect. You should record from the Faded Page edition.

Oh! Thanks, I will change that.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

ShellyW wrote: April 13th, 2024, 6:45 am
TriciaG wrote: April 13th, 2024, 6:15 am This is a different text source than you verified. This one doesn't give the edition it was read from, so it's more suspect. You should record from the Faded Page edition.

Oh! Thanks, I will change that.
The faded page edition is not online, has to be downloaded. Is there a way I can host it somewhere, or do my people have to download it? ... hmm... I just realized I do have a website... but I have to ask my dad how to host an ebook. He may not be able to answer me at this point.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If you click on the html link, the text is there.

Funny, I can't directly link it, but one can view the text online.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Dr. Doolittle!

I read Dr. Doolittle and narration in a couple of our DR recordings. They will show up if you search the LV catalog. This wasn't one of them, but they are wonderful as dramatic readings! Of course a solo is fine, too. The Story of Doctor Dolittle has four versions in the catalog -- two solos, one collaborative project, and one DR. The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle has three versions.

Anyway, I'd be glad to join you as DPL.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

silverquill wrote: April 13th, 2024, 10:24 am Dr. Doolittle!

I read Dr. Doolittle and narration in a couple of our DR recordings. They will show up if you search the LV catalog. This wasn't one of them, but they are wonderful as dramatic readings! Of course a solo is fine, too. The Story of Doctor Dolittle has four versions in the catalog -- two solos, one collaborative project, and one DR. The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle has three versions.

Yayy!!!! Larry to the resuce!!!! :clap:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: April 13th, 2024, 10:08 am If you click on the html link, the text is there.

Funny, I can't directly link it, but one can view the text online.
OK awesome. :thumbs:
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

:hmm: Now I'm confused about the 1956 copyright. How do we know it doesn't change the public domain date?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

silverquill wrote: April 13th, 2024, 10:24 am Dr. Doolittle!

I love dramatic readings but don't know if I'm ready to take one on yet. Probably down the road.
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

ShellyW wrote: April 13th, 2024, 11:34 am :hmm: Now I'm confused about the 1956 copyright. How do we know it doesn't change the public domain date?
Because it was just a copyright renewal rather than a whole new copyright. Confusing, I know. :)
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

TriciaG wrote: April 13th, 2024, 1:56 pm
ShellyW wrote: April 13th, 2024, 11:34 am :hmm: Now I'm confused about the 1956 copyright. How do we know it doesn't change the public domain date?
Because it was just a copyright renewal rather than a whole new copyright. Confusing, I know. :)
Ok thank you 😁
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ShellyW wrote: April 13th, 2024, 12:45 pm
I love dramatic readings but don't know if I'm ready to take one on yet. Probably down the road.
I'm quite a fan of DRs as well. I think they really make a book come alive.

I've BCd over 200 projects, but still haven't had the courage to tackle a full scale DR. I've done a few on the DR scene collections and a few one act plays. But, I hope to change that in the not too distant future. Once we get into our new place, I'll be able to set up a proper recording space, and maybe get a second monitor which I think would be a big help. Had dual monitors in my last job, and loved the set up.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hi Shelly,

I will MC this for you. The MW is all set up.

I see there are 25 chapters in the book though they are short. Are you doubling up?

I will move this over to going solo after I know you have seen this.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
ShellyW

Post by ShellyW »

KiltedDragon wrote: April 14th, 2024, 4:50 pm Hi Shelly,

I will MC this for you. The MW is all set up.

I see there are 25 chapters in the book though they are short. Are you doubling up?

I will move this over to going solo after I know you have seen this.
Hi Barry, thank you, nice to meet you. Yes I'm thinking 2 chapters per section. I get annoyed listening to really short sections.

Are you a Scottish dragon?
Shelly
Shellyweingart.com