[SOLO] Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic by Francis Grierson - rr

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
haelen

Post by haelen »

Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic, by Francis Grierson (1948 - 1927)
The Practical Mysticism of Abraham Lincoln

A knowledge of the influences which ruled the life of Lincoln, the greatest of practical mystics, is essential now that a new form of paganism and slavery threatens humanity.

In Lincoln's time the black slaves of America had to be freed; in our time the white slaves of Europe have to be freed. We have returned to the conquest. History is being repeated, but on a far vaster scale. The whole world is groaning under the threats and deeds of tyranny that seeks to become absolute. What Abraham Lincoln stood for in the middle of the nineteenth century the English-speaking peoples must stand for at the beginning of the twentieth. Materialism produced Prussian autocracy. A spiritual power brought America safely through the ordeals of the Civil War. But the material and the spiritual cannot both rule at the same time. One must yield authority to the other. And we cannot succeed by denying the very thing which caused Lincoln to triumph over all enemies and obstacles. (Summary from the book)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45449

Target completion date: 2024-08-01

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic, by Francis Grierson. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic, by Francis Grierson. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Abraham Lincoln: The Practical Mystic, by Francis Grierson."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: abrahamlincolnmystic_#_grierson_128kb.mp3 where # is the section number. (e.g. abrahamlincolnmystic_1_grierson_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: redrun

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
"Seek No Vain Conclusions"
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello, Tim! I see this is your first solo. I'll get you set up, and be back shortly with instructions for your part as Book Coordinator. :thumbs:

Update: Your Magic Window is in place. As the solo-reader, you are also the BC for this book. For right now, I'll have you follow these instructions to set up your account on the back-end:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window#Accessing_the_System_%E2%80%93_First_Time_Login

Once you have the account set up, you can click the 'BC Admin' link below the Magic Window in your first post, to start entering the chapter/section titles (I entered in the first few for you). You can find more detailed instructions on the rest of the linked page, if you need them.

Going forward, as you upload each chapter, you'll enter the link in the 'Listen URL' column, enter the length of the file in the Notes column, and set the Status column to 'Ready for PL'. Then, you'll post to let your proof-listener know that there's a file waiting!

Do you already have someone in mind for proof listening, or shall we add a tilde (~) so folks know you're looking for one?
vviera

Post by vviera »

Hi there, reporting as DPL as promised.
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Added to Magic Window! :thumbs:

Tim: As soon as those other chapter headings are in, we'll be ready to shuffle over to the Going Solo forum!
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

I'm going to move us along to Going Solo, but if you have any questions, please ask! :thumbs:
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Hello,
It's been about a month since starting this project, and I want to check in and see how it's going. I can see you're still around and reading for other projects, but please let us know your plans for this one.

If you're getting back to this one fairly soon, then great! If there's an obstacle that I can help with, please just say so!
If it might still be a while, then let me know. I can stow it safely away, and when you're ready to resume, it'll be here waiting for you.

In any case, happy reading!
redrun
haelen

Post by haelen »

Sorry!

I'll get too it. I have a few chapters already "in the bin"
haelen

Post by haelen »

haelen

Post by haelen »

haelen

Post by haelen »

haelen

Post by haelen »

redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

Thank you Tim, it looks like you're off to a good start!

Since you are also the Book Coordinator for this project, I'll need you to enter the links, duration, and titles for these chapters into the Magic Window. See my first post in this thread for instructions, and a link to setting up your account on the back-end, if you haven't already.
haelen

Post by haelen »

haelen

Post by haelen »

redrun wrote: April 11th, 2024, 8:44 am Hello,
It's been about a month since starting this project, and I want to check in and see how it's going. I can see you're still around and reading for other projects, but please let us know your plans for this one.

If you're getting back to this one fairly soon, then great! If there's an obstacle that I can help with, please just say so!
If it might still be a while, then let me know. I can stow it safely away, and when you're ready to resume, it'll be here waiting for you.

In any case, happy reading!
redrun
I've just realised that I didn't read th post about Admin Status. :( I'd better check that and amend!
haelen

Post by haelen »

vviera wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:51 pm Hi there, reporting as DPL as promised.
Thanks so much Verla,

I had forgotten to set notifications for ths project, and completely forgot!

Hope you had a good break.

Cheers,
Tim