1-Minute Test Recording by Kevin (Nyarlathotep78) [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files.
Nyarlathotep78

Post by Nyarlathotep78 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_nyarlathotep78.mp3

Recorded in Audacity on Windows computer using a USB mic through an audio interface.

I've always had issues with not being able to get enough volume while recording, so I bumped it up after recording. I also ran noise cancellation on it in post. Please let me know if it sounds ok! Thank you.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Greetings Kevin

Indeed, all your settings are correct except the volume, which is too low at 81.5dB. The acceptable range is 86 - 92dB, ideally 89-90.

Make sure input gain slider in Audacity (upper right with the little mic icon) is well to the right. Then adjust the input gain on your mic so your raw recording has wave forms that peak at about the 0.5 marks in the Audacity window:

You say your USB mic is plugged through an interface. USB mics don't require (and can't use) an interface so I'm not sure what you are referring to. With an analog mic the recording level is set with the interface. Also check any other audio settings on your computer and make sure they are turned-up as well.

If necessary, adjust the volume level before exporting by going to Effects>Amplify and enter an amount. Or Effects>Loudness Normalization, choose RMS and enter -23db (Checker uses a different scale - this is the same as +89db).

There is too much noise cancellation. Your background noise level is -80dB. -60dB is fine.

You can pre-check your audio yourself by downloading the free Checker app: https://cgjennings.ca/projects/checker/
Passed with Warnings is a fail with regard to volume.
With Checker open, go to Validation>Choose Validation Methods and check Background Noise. Be sure to leave 5 seconds blank at the end of your recording.

Please make a new test recording and post it in a reply to this message. I will come back and review it for you.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Nyarlathotep78

Post by Nyarlathotep78 »

Agh, I think I'm wrong, then. The mic I have doesn't in fact have a USB cord, rather one of the larger, circular metal cord ends that needs to go through an audio interface (I'm at work currently, so I can't tell you makes or models). When I try to turn the gain up on the audio interface, for three-quarters of the dial, it's fine, but once I hot a certain point, the volume bumps WAY up, and everything gets distorted. Thus, I have to keep it just under that point, so my audio peaks on Audacity are really rather low, and I have to adjust the volume after recording using the slider on the left of the Audacity window (the one under the "Mute" and "Solo" buttons). I'm utterly sure this is the incorrect way to do this, but I have not been able to figure out any other method that works with the audio interface I own (which, to be fair, is cheap, but I can't really afford better). In any case, this evening, I'll reopen the file and add the blank seconds at the end of the recording, as well as use the Loudness Normalization. Thank you for your comments, and I hope this next attempt will meet the requirements!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

The gain controls on many interfaces, including the ones I use, are very touchy. Once you get the volume somewhere in the ballpark - and the gain will probably be at least 3/4 to the max - you need to use a very light touch to get it right. I have an Audient ID4, and the final adjustment on the gain knob is almost microscopic. I had the same issue with a Focusrite Solo.

The best strategy is to set the gain so that you are 3 to 5dB low, then use the software to fine-tune. You don't want to use software too much, since it will raise your noise floor. This approach also leaves extra headroom during recording so you don't clip when you speak loudly.

RMS Loudness Normalization is almost foolproof. I use that to set the final volume on all my recording.

My website
My Librivox reader page
Nyarlathotep78

Post by Nyarlathotep78 »

Thank you very much for the tips!
Nyarlathotep78

Post by Nyarlathotep78 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_nyarlathotep78_(Revised_for_Volume).mp3

Here is my revised clip. I believe the Loudness Normalization fixed the issue, or at least, I hope so!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Perfect!

You are good to go.

Happy narrating!

My website
My Librivox reader page
Nyarlathotep78

Post by Nyarlathotep78 »

Thanks again for all your help!