Some Books that Aren't in the Public Domain (and why)

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Agape77 wrote: April 4th, 2024, 8:29 pm I will check to see if it is and get back with you. Thank you!
I just found it on Archive.org. I had to do an advanced search. It seems to be read by a robot on audio. Since it's there, can it be read here?
It depends. Please share the link so we can take a look.
Agape77

Post by Agape77 »

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Agape77 wrote: April 4th, 2024, 9:14 pm It's a long book with 2 volumes. Here it is:https://archive.org/details/TheLifeAndRevelationsOfAnneCatherineEmmerichComplete/page/n1/mode/2up
We think this edition is okay, since it's a straight reprint. It even has the same typesetting as the original.
(VERY long book!)
Very limited computer access Wed-Sun, May 15-19.
Agape77

Post by Agape77 »

oh perfect! Now do you have to add it to Librivox in order for me to read it?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Agape77 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 12:37 pm oh perfect! Now do you have to add it to Librivox in order for me to read it?
No, it doesn't get added until after it has been recorded and proof listened. You would need to launch it as a solo project. However, you should complete your one-minute test first. It's basically a sound and tech check to make sure your software and equipment is all working. Then, once your test gets the ok, we strongly recommend participating in at least one group project so that you can get the first hurdles out of the way with a supportive group around you. Reading a whole book on your own can be very lonely, and it's best to get some practice under your belt before you start out solo.

Here are some links with instructions for your next steps (in order!):
One-Minute Test: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test
Signing up for a group project: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Newbie_Guide_to_Recording#Signing_Up
Launching a solo project: viewtopic.php?t=13513
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Not only that, but that book is HUUUUUGE. It is not a good first solo project. :shock:
Agape77

Post by Agape77 »

Thank you, I will be doing the 1 minute test soon and I will definitely do group projects and proof listening before i undertake a project like this one. Yes it is huge and it won't be something I do now. :)
duffy424

Post by duffy424 »

General question on Public Domain status for a work where the author was from England, but the book was printed in the USA. The author died 66 years ago, so by the usual UK standard of "death + 70 years" it would still be under copyright based on his citizenship. But the book in question was published by a commercial publisher in the USA in 1919, which would make it PD if the US standards apply. The book is on Archive.org, in several scans, but it is NOT on PG - although some of his other books are there. Is this a simple "OK" based on the USA print date, or is a deeper process needed for this one? THANKS!

EDIT -- Turns out that the book *is* in Full View on Hathi Trust with a notation that they have determined that it IS PD, so is that considered clear to use on Librivox?
loon

Post by loon »

duffy424 wrote: Yesterday, 12:00 pm General question on Public Domain status for a work where the author was from England, but the book was printed in the USA. The author died 66 years ago, so by the usual UK standard of "death + 70 years" it would still be under copyright based on his citizenship. But the book in question was published by a commercial publisher in the USA in 1919, which would make it PD if the US standards apply. The book is on Archive.org, in several scans, but it is NOT on PG - although some of his other books are there. Is this a simple "OK" based on the USA print date, or is a deeper process needed for this one? THANKS!

EDIT -- Turns out that the book *is* in Full View on Hathi Trust with a notation that they have determined that it IS PD, so is that considered clear to use on Librivox?
LibriVox's servers are in the US, so LV honors US copyright law. Readers in countries with different copyright laws should additionally folow their national laws, so a book may be OK for US readers but not for folks in other places.

If a scan on archive.org includes the copyright page that can be used as evidence that edition of a book is old enough to be in public domain (in the US).

A real admin can give you a more definitive answer.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
duffy424

Post by duffy424 »

Thanks for that. I hope it is going to work out, since I would love to do the book as my first solo project after I get a few more chapters done in shared projects. This is a short novel with a regional USA interest for me.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

loon wrote: Yesterday, 2:07 pm
duffy424 wrote: Yesterday, 12:00 pm General question on Public Domain status for a work where the author was from England, but the book was printed in the USA. The author died 66 years ago, so by the usual UK standard of "death + 70 years" it would still be under copyright based on his citizenship. But the book in question was published by a commercial publisher in the USA in 1919, which would make it PD if the US standards apply. The book is on Archive.org, in several scans, but it is NOT on PG - although some of his other books are there. Is this a simple "OK" based on the USA print date, or is a deeper process needed for this one? THANKS!

LibriVox's servers are in the US, so LV honors US copyright law. Readers in countries with different copyright laws should additionally folow their national laws, so a book may be OK for US readers but not for folks in other places.

If a scan on archive.org includes the copyright page that can be used as evidence that edition of a book is old enough to be in public domain (in the US).

A real admin can give you a more definitive answer.
Yep, you've got it.