[SOLO]The Hole in the Wall by Arthur Morrison - kit

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ogus wrote: February 20th, 2024, 3:55 amI've been to Luxembourg a few times, but do not know it well. Have you been there long? I had assumed that you were American since all my previous MCs have been from the US.
I've lived there all my life, born and bred Luxembourger. :mrgreen: Not all MCs are from the US, we are quite scattered around the world :lol:
Our trip was primarily for opera (I am an opera fanatic) and the first stages in Tourcoing and Brussels were very good, but then Deutsche Bahn let us down badly and we arrived at our their destination (Schwetzingen) two hours late and the performance there was disastrously bad!
ah yes, they are on strike a lot in Germany. Luckily we drove with our car, so we were not dependent on public transport.
Chapter 3 posted.
and PL ok again. The threads in the plot are coming together.

thanks

Sonia
ogus

Post by ogus »

Une vraie luxembourgoise alors ! But perhaps German-speaking?

Chapter 4 posted.

A
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ogus wrote: March 1st, 2024, 2:43 amUne vraie luxembourgoise alors ! But perhaps German-speaking?
well actually I speak Luxembourgish at home. But yes, we learn French and German right from the first school years, so I am fluent in those as well.

Chapter 4 is excellently narrated again. :thumbs: What's with the stolen pocket watch now ? :shock: Is grandpa involved in illegal traffic as well ? :hmm:

Just one note:

> the background noise is a bit audible, and the audio could be improved by running a round of noise cleaning, by taking a sample from the last 5 seconds of room silence

Textually, all perfect

thanks

Sonia
ogus

Post by ogus »

Good news on your linguistic skills (your English is also obviously perfect). I am fluent in French (my first wife was from Strasbourg) and can manage reasonably in German.

Thanks for the comments on chapter 4; I'll work on the background noise as you suggest,

Meanwhile, on we go with short chapter 5.

Anthony
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ogus wrote: March 12th, 2024, 3:58 amI am fluent in French (my first wife was from Strasbourg) and can manage reasonably in German.
so cool, you may one day participate in one of our group projects in those languages. 8-)
Meanwhile, on we go with short chapter 5.
:shock: low-life at it's most graphic :lol: quite a vivid scene in this chapter. Perfectly narrated again, but also here I would recommend one more round of noise-cleaning. It's not too distracting but the constant background buzz can get dimmed with a bit of cleaning.

Thanks

Sonia
ogus

Post by ogus »

I've attempted to reduce noise on Chapter 4 (using a value of 6). Please tell me if that is now O.K. If so, I'll do the same for chapter 5.

Best wishes for the weekend.

A
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ogus wrote: March 15th, 2024, 8:25 amI've attempted to reduce noise on Chapter 4 (using a value of 6). Please tell me if that is now O.K. If so, I'll do the same for chapter 5.
yes I think it's better that way. You can do that with the other chapter as well. At least without earphones I hear barely any noise. Thank you, PL ok now

Sonia
ogus

Post by ogus »

Chapter 5 cleaned and chapter 6 posted.

Off to London with my brother for a school reunion.

A
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ogus wrote: March 21st, 2024, 8:07 amChapter 5 cleaned and chapter 6 posted.
Off to London with my brother for a school reunion.
excellent, both chapters now PL ok :thumbs: thanks

enjoy your class reunion. Meeting lots of people who you have lost contact with over the years ? Will be fun to find out what they have been up to. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ogus

Post by ogus »

Hope that you have an enjoyable and restful vacation and my Chapter 7 can wait for your return. My wife had a hip replacement operation yesterday, so I shall be busy with household matters during the next few weeks.

Anthony
ogus

Post by ogus »

Chapter 8 added.

Hope you had an enjoyable Easter.

A
ogus

Post by ogus »

And now the short Chapter 9.

Best wishes

A
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

back from Greece, it was quite an eventful trip, and SO hot.

I see you have been busy :thumbs: just had a listen to all three chapters, and it's getting mightily interesting now.

I have a few very small edits to suggest this time:

section 7:
> at 12:31: stumble and repeat: "and so many of the ba-barrels were defective"

section 8:
> at 4:54: I think there was a jump in the audio, the first part of the sentence is jumbled or missing, at least I don't understand it clear enough: "There's nothing here about the Juno, Grandfather Nat"

section 9:
> at 8:18: stumble and repeat and a bump in the audio at "by": "he had to res-rouse her by a shake"

I hope your wife is recovering well, this sounds serious :?

Thanks for the great storytelling again. :) Looking forward to the continuation.

Sonia