[GIRL'S ADVENTURE]The Camp Fire Girls' Careers, by Margaret Vandercook - icequeen

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
Glendav7

Post by Glendav7 »

I'm working on recording chapter 12 today. I can't believe how fast time has gone by! Sorry, I got busy with a bunch of voiceover work in the last month and time flew by.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Glendav7 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:03 pm I'm working on recording chapter 12 today. I can't believe how fast time has gone by! Sorry, I got busy with a bunch of voiceover work in the last month and time flew by.
No problem! Thank you for letting me kno!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

annerct wrote: March 24th, 2024, 2:59 pm Chapter 18 done and ready for review.
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/campfiregirlscareers_18_vandercook_128kb.mp3
10:57

Chapter 18 needs one fix.

The volume is too low, it is currently at 81 dB. If you could amplify by 8 dB, then you should be at our target of 89 dB. Otherwise, great job!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Glendav7

Post by Glendav7 »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Glendav7 wrote: March 26th, 2024, 8:59 pm Here is section 12 for PL
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/campfiregirlscareers_12_vandercook_128kb.mp3

length: 17:54

Thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
annerct

Post by annerct »

icequeen wrote: March 26th, 2024, 8:03 pm
https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/campfiregirlscareers_18_vandercook_128kb.mp3

The volume is too low, it is currently at 81 dB. If you could amplify by 8 dB, then you should be at our target of 89 dB. Otherwise, great job!
I tried to amplify it in Audacity and it is only allowing me to increase it by 2dB so it is at 82.7 right now. The "apply" button is grayed out when I try to amplify it any more. Any suggestions?

When recording I had my computer microphone setting at 100 and the Audacity setting all the way up to 0. I am close to the microphone when recording and almost feel like I am shouting. Any advice for increasing the volume when recording? I have looked through the videos on the librivox website and the many wikis but I don't see anything to help other than what I have already done. Thank you!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

annerct wrote: March 27th, 2024, 2:48 pm

I tried to amplify it in Audacity and it is only allowing me to increase it by 2dB so it is at 82.7 right now. The "apply" button is grayed out when I try to amplify it any more. Any suggestions?

When recording I had my computer microphone setting at 100 and the Audacity setting all the way up to 0. I am close to the microphone when recording and almost feel like I am shouting. Any advice for increasing the volume when recording? I have looked through the videos on the librivox website and the many wikis but I don't see anything to help other than what I have already done. Thank you!
The reason why you can't amplify by 8 dB may be due to the peaks of your recording. If the peaks are too high, that will prevent Audacity from amplifying because those peaks will go outside the recording window. When that happens, you lose part of the recording range. I would recommend using the Loudness Normalization effect, which is in the Volume and Compression menu in the Effects tab. If you have the Loudness Normalization set to -19 lufs, that should get you to the 89 dB target.

The second question. I think in your case, using the Loudness Normalization is the best advice for this. You can experiment with what you have already recorded and use that effect to see if that gives you a good result. That way, you can record at a more comfortable level for your throat, then let Audacity get the volume where you need it to be. I would also make sure that Audacity is using your microphone, instead of a default mic.

Hope that helps!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Chapter 12 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
annerct

Post by annerct »

icequeen wrote: March 27th, 2024, 7:54 pm

The reason why you can't amplify by 8 dB may be due to the peaks of your recording. If the peaks are too high, that will prevent Audacity from amplifying because those peaks will go outside the recording window. When that happens, you lose part of the recording range. I would recommend using the Loudness Normalization effect, which is in the Volume and Compression menu in the Effects tab. If you have the Loudness Normalization set to -19 lufs, that should get you to the 89 dB target.

The second question. I think in your case, using the Loudness Normalization is the best advice for this. You can experiment with what you have already recorded and use that effect to see if that gives you a good result. That way, you can record at a more comfortable level for your throat, then let Audacity get the volume where you need it to be. I would also make sure that Audacity is using your microphone, instead of a default mic.

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for the advice!
Here is the updated file at 88.5dB.
Glendav7

Post by Glendav7 »

icequeen wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:06 pm Chapter 12 is PL OK!
Excellent! Thank you! :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

annerct wrote: March 28th, 2024, 1:43 pm
icequeen wrote: March 27th, 2024, 7:54 pm

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much for the advice!
Here is the updated file at 88.5dB.
Good! I'm glad that I was able to help!

Now the volume on chapter 18 is perfect and PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

~All the best,
Joy~

I'm not just joyful, I'm jolly!<3
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

j0lly wrote: March 31st, 2024, 2:59 pm Here is ch 9. Hope it's alright! Time: 9min 53sec, https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/campfiregirlscareers_09_vandercook_128kb.mp3

Thanks Joy!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
j0lly

Post by j0lly »

icequeen wrote: March 31st, 2024, 3:00 pm
j0lly wrote: March 31st, 2024, 2:59 pm Here is ch 9. Hope it's alright! Time: 9min 53sec, https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/campfiregirlscareers_09_vandercook_128kb.mp3

Thanks Joy!
:D :thumbs:
~All the best,
Joy~

I'm not just joyful, I'm jolly!<3
njgorgen

Post by njgorgen »