[SOLO] Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese - Reid-ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

The Book of the Cheese, by Thomas Wilson Reid
"Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese" is a public house on Fleet Street, London. It was rebuilt after the Great Fire of 1666, and has been frequented by many literary and historical characters. The book rambles through the pub's history, with many anecdotes and stories about its staff and customers. (Summary by Peter Yearsley)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/70991

Target completion date: 2024-09-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
[*]Project Code: XMNYAkOU
[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
[*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 13
[*]Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
[*]Original publication date (if known): 1906
[*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
[*]Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
[/list]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Humor

Keywords that describe the book: (to be added later): pub; public house; tavern; Fleet Street; Victorian London; food and drink

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Chapter # of The Book of the Cheese. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." "Read by Peter Yeasley" "The Book of the Cheese, being traits and stories of 'Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese' by Thomas Wilson Reid." Chapter Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Chapter # of The Book of the Cheese, by Thomas Wilson Reid. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." "Read by Peter Yearsley."] "Chapter Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of chapter #."
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The Book of the Cheese, by Thomas Wilson Reid."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: bookofthecheese_##_reid_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. bookofthecheese_01_reid_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: annise

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Peter Why on April 27th, 2024, 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Laura seems to be a glutton for punishment, as she has already volunteered to be the DPL:- lvictoria

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I'm looking forward to spending time at this pub. I've got everything bookmarked and ready to go.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura, I should have the first chapter within the next three days.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up- back soon ..... all done. Anne
Do you know anything about the author? For the catalogue
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Annise;

According to Gutenberg, this is the only book which Reid has been involved in. Technically, he's the compiler, but no other authors are given.

In the title page for the 1908 edition, he's listed as "late", so his death date is 1908 or before.

Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That makes him squeaky clean for you and me then, Anne
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Chapter 1 uploaded.

Laura, I can't give page numbers, as I don't know what version you're using. (I use the Gutenberg text version, in a word processor, adjusted to Times New Roman, 14 point.)

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I follow along with the Read Online version of the text. It's easy enough for me to open up directly to the chapter with the links given.

At ~2:39 you open the second paragraph of the chapter by saying: 'quote' “When I was a young fellow,....”
'end quote' is missing after the last sentence of this quoted piece ~3:11 "I went and sat in it" if you wish to add it in, and it not it's PL OK.

It's going to be interesting to see who all is mentioned as frequenting the pub.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for catching that, Laura. I've added an "end quote" and re-uploaded.

Yes ... and two chapters on puddings!

I like the author/compiler's relaxed style. Just the occasionally long sentence needs re-reading to get the tone right for the clauses and sub-clauses.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Chapter 1 is PL OK.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura; I've uploaded chapter two. Unless I've miscounted (a distinct possibility), there's a floating set of quotation marks at the end. I've assumed that the last few sentences are for the narrator, rather than the previously quoted Cyrus Jay.

The book's a lot shorter than I thought.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I'm enjoying the pictures and drawings that are included in the text. It's nice to have those visuals to go with the history of the pub.

Chapter 2 is PL OK
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura,
Do you think I should make an illustration file to go with the recording? I did that for a book on the mathematics of the fourth dimension, and I think I did one for a book on chemical assaying methods for mines.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

I don't know how much trouble it is to compile, but I think it would be a fabulous resource.
Laura