MAGIC MOUNTAIN (Vol 2) - Thomas Mann (Trans Lowe-Porter) - ans

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Now taken down the S29 volume and re-uploaded!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: March 20th, 2024, 11:34 am I will tweek down the volume post haste!
The Vol 1 Claudia is a pretty thoroughgoing Hollywood femme fatale, the crashing of the door behind her as she enters the dining room is one of the many tour de force moments in the first three hundred pages of the novel. As you may also have gathered the Hofrat is infatuated too - and has even painted her portrait (we learn he plays the artist on weekends when away from his surgery). The moment when Hans is suddenly confronted with Claudia's portrait, painted with crude, hamfisted passion, in Hofrat's apartment is another delicious moment from Vol 1.
Interesting!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't worry too much about slight volume changes - I can easily make them in the validating stage - I often do anyhow as the acceptable range is great and evenness gives a more pleasant listening. It's when there is clipping that lowering the volume is unsatisfactory.

Anne
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

That does makes sense :D
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine
S30 herewith. I hope this section is as enjoyable to listen to as it was to read and edit: a lively and entertaining three-hander scene between Hans, Claudia and Peeperkorn... (24.33)
Best wishes - and happy Easter to you and Anne!
Steve
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_30_mann_128kb.mp3
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: March 27th, 2024, 3:39 am Dear Christine
S30 herewith. I hope this section is as enjoyable to listen to as it was to read and edit: a lively and entertaining three-hander scene between Hans, Claudia and Peeperkorn... (24.33)
Best wishes - and happy Easter to you and Anne!
Steve
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_30_mann_128kb.mp3
Dear Steve,
Yay! Happy Easter to you as well! This is in line for PL.
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Steve, Section 30 is PL ok. I have two, rhetorical, observations. Why are they allowing Peeperkorn, or any of these sick people for that matter, to have gin and wine or any other alcohol! Hans' chest plate photo is probably in a bin in Spain somewhere. She is a vixen isn't she?
Thanks for presenting this excellent book and portraying it so perfectly with your voice!
Again Happy Holiday,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Yes, Christine, Claudia has something of the Hollywood vamp about her... a perfect role for Marlene Dietrich?!
On the menu & wine cellar at the Berghof I suspect that their catering arrangements may have something to do with the enormous fees (bribes?) paid to the institution by the clientele.... if you are going to go, I suppose you must go in style....
Thanks as always for all your time, skill, and enthusiasm! I am not sure if I shall be doing another section during this coming Easter week, but definitely back on track after that....
Best
Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: March 28th, 2024, 12:11 am Yes, Christine, Claudia has something of the Hollywood vamp about her... a perfect role for Marlene Dietrich?!
On the menu & wine cellar at the Berghof I suspect that their catering arrangements may have something to do with the enormous fees (bribes?) paid to the institution by the clientele.... if you are going to go, I suppose you must go in style....
Thanks as always for all your time, skill, and enthusiasm! I am not sure if I shall be doing another section during this coming Easter week, but definitely back on track after that....
Best
Steve
Excellent Steve, Have Fun!!
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Hi Christine, her is section 31, and the finale of Peeperkorn's midnight festivities. (26.28)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_31_mann_128kb.mp3
Best wishes Steve
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: April 9th, 2024, 5:31 am Hi Christine, her is section 31, and the finale of Peeperkorn's midnight festivities. (26.28)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_31_mann_128kb.mp3
Best wishes Steve
Hi Steve, Looking forward to this as always!
Best,
Christine
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

Hi Steve, Excellent continuing portrayal of the eccentric Peeperkorn! Just a couple of edits:
Section 31 has some missing text where you just mistook where you left off on Section 30.
Section 30 ended with "and Peeperkorn laid upon them all to drink it reverently" on p.564

Section 31 starts with "He cast down his eyes, and nodded, to give his neighbor the satisfaction of being understood" on p.565 halfway down the page.

19:16 should be "a sight in which Herr Magnus appeared to find relief." I heard "a sight in which Herr Albin appeared to find relief."
Best,
Christine
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Ah! Thank you Christine - I will make those adjustments, I start my recording these days at around 6.30am (to avoid traffic noise) which might just have something to do with that error!!
brownrottger
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by brownrottger »

SteveGough wrote: April 9th, 2024, 11:39 pm Ah! Thank you Christine - I will make those adjustments, I start my recording these days at around 6.30am (to avoid traffic noise) which might just have something to do with that error!!
I get you! I have done the same.
SteveGough

Post by SteveGough »

Dear Christine
I have revised section 31 and re-uploaded - and also here is Section 32 (24.45) and the continuing saga of Mynheer Peeperkorn (phew! - it lasts another fifty pages!)
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/magicmountian2_32_mann_128kb.mp3