SOLO [CHINESE] 長生殿 by 洪昇 (The Palace of Eternal Life by Hong Sheng) (Abridged)

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Ayisha,

Well, I'm not sure. :hmm: English projects get DPLs pretty quickly, but our pool of Chinese speaking volunteers is smaller.

If you know someone who might like to listen to this for you, you can encourage them to join LV and sign up as your DPL. Even if they don't want to read themselves, we welcome volunteers in all capacities!

MaryAnn
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Hi Ayishalyu!

One of the LibriVox MCs asked if I knew that your project needed Chinese PL-ing. I'm happy to commit myself as DPL as long as we can be on the same page for the following issues:

- The intro in all of your recordings isn't what you put down in the first post. My recommendation is that at the very least, insert the chapter titles at the end of each intro to help the listeners out (compare with recordings in English and you'll see what's missing in yours!);
and, if it's OK with the MCs, edit the format guide in the first post based on what you've been recording quite consistently to avoid having to re-record every intro. This helps the PLs out, as we'd have no other way to check if you've been consistent apart from re-listening to all of your previous recordings' intro. It's more of an issue some chapters down the line, but nevertheless a potential problem you don't want to leave brewing in the background.
There are other ways to sort this out, including re-recording all the intros. I'm open to suggestions!

- You've been recording snippets and stitching them together, instead of recording continuously and cutting out the extras, as recommended in the Newbie Guide to Recording. Your method doesn't change the content, sure, but it does create empty gaps with 0 background noise. The last 5 seconds of silence also has 0 background noise, which makes a rather abrupt end. Again, it can be useful to listen to published recordings in English to see what they're doing differently that makes a positive difference.
Moving forward, it'll be great if you can avoid stopping the recording while you're at it, and make all the edits afterwards.
As for the first 4 sections, I'd be grateful to have some input from MaryAnn: do you think there is a need to re-record them from beginning to end?

Let's figure these out before you launch into recording more content :thumbs:
Cheers,
Yuqing :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yuqing,

Thank you for helping out with this!

Couple of questions for you ... what is the rough english equivalent of the intros? A variation may be ok, if it contains all the required elements. And as you suggested, it should be done consistently.

As to re-recording, is that only because of the silences? In that case, I would say there is no need to re-record them. We all have a learning curve as we develop our techniques and style as a reader. I find some of my early recordings unacceptable by my standards today, but I would never think of redoing them.

Ayishalyu - I agree with Yuqing, recording an entire chapter in one long "go", repeating anything that you don't read to your satisfaction, and then going back and cutting out all the "bad" parts so only the "good" ones are left has been the most efficient way for me to read for many years now. It is amazing how good it can sound in the end ... your friends (and listeners) will think you are a perfect reader! And only you will know that it took 4 or 5 repeats to get that one trouble sentence to come out the way you wanted it!

MaryAnn
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:59 pm what is the rough english equivalent of the intros? A variation may be ok, if it contains all the required elements. And as you suggested, it should be done consistently.
Hi MaryAnn! Thanks for the quick response.
I'm glad to confirm that no required elements are missing, and this variation does make sense. Ayishalyu, I'll be really grateful if you can edit the template in the first post to help me out :)

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:59 pm As to re-recording, is that only because of the silences? In that case, I would say there is no need to re-record them. We all have a learning curve as we develop our techniques and style as a reader. I find some of my early recordings unacceptable by my standards today, but I would never think of redoing them.
Wonderful! Rest assured that none of your recorded pieces is going to waste, Ayishalyu :wink:

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 26th, 2024, 5:59 pm Ayishalyu - I agree with Yuqing, recording an entire chapter in one long "go", repeating anything that you don't read to your satisfaction, and then going back and cutting out all the "bad" parts so only the "good" ones are left has been the most efficient way for me to read for many years now. It is amazing how good it can sound in the end ... your friends (and listeners) will think you are a perfect reader! And only you will know that it took 4 or 5 repeats to get that one trouble sentence to come out the way you wanted it!
Thanks for putting these personal insights out there! Definitely something I would've appreciated when I first started!
Cheers,
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Yuqing,

You have access to the MW to updated the status on the sections you've listened to.

Do you want to commit to DPL at this point, or wait until we hear back from Ayisha?

MaryAnn
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 27th, 2024, 8:01 pm Yuqing,

You have access to the MW to updated the status on the sections you've listened to.

Do you want to commit to DPL at this point, or wait until we hear back from Ayisha?

MaryAnn
Thank you very much!
I think it's best to see what Ayisha has to say first :thumbs:
Cheers,
Ayishalyu

Post by Ayishalyu »

Yuqing,

Thank you so much for agreeing to be my DPL! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. :D

I just want to confirm what you and MaryAnn decided: I don't need to re-record my posts, but I should record my future posts in one go and then cut out all the "bad" parts. I didn't realize there was a difference between these two approaches, and I didn't notice when I was listening. Thanks for letting me know! (Also thanks to MaryAnn :) )

I just realized I can edit the first post. No problem, I already renew.
Just to explain, the intro of my first recording is different from the rest because I saw a suggestion in an announcement that the first paragraph should be more complete, while the second paragraph and beyond can be shorter. (I can't find the announcement right now.) That's why the first paragraph has these extra sentences:「如果你想取得更多資訊,或想加入義工行列,請點閱 Librivox 點 org 網站。長生殿,洪昇著。」(in English is: "If you want to learn more or volunteer, please visit the Librivox website at Librivox.org. The Palace of Eternal Life, by Hong Sheng." )
I keep these two versions' intros in the first post. If I've misunderstood anything or you and MaryAnn have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again!

Ayisha
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

Ayishalyu wrote: March 28th, 2024, 6:53 am Thank you so much for agreeing to be my DPL! I've been looking forward to this for a long time. :D
As a BC myself, I can very much relate to this :) My pleasure!
Ayishalyu wrote: March 28th, 2024, 6:53 am I just want to confirm what you and MaryAnn decided: I don't need to re-record my posts, but I should record my future posts in one go and then cut out all the "bad" parts. I didn't realize there was a difference between these two approaches, and I didn't notice when I was listening. Thanks for letting me know! (Also thanks to MaryAnn :) )

I just realized I can edit the first post. No problem, I already renew.
Just to explain, the intro of my first recording is different from the rest because I saw a suggestion in an announcement that the first paragraph should be more complete, while the second paragraph and beyond can be shorter. (I can't find the announcement right now.) That's why the first paragraph has these extra sentences:「如果你想取得更多資訊,或想加入義工行列,請點閱 Librivox 點 org 網站。長生殿,洪昇著。」(in English is: "If you want to learn more or volunteer, please visit the Librivox website at Librivox.org. The Palace of Eternal Life, by Hong Sheng." )
I keep these two versions' intros in the first post. If I've misunderstood anything or you and MaryAnn have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks again!
I think we're on the same page! Feel free to remove that ~ in the post heading - I'm in :thumbs:
Cheers,
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

I just realised that in the first post and therefore all the section headings, 長 in 長生殿 is romanised as zhang instead of chang. I side with "chang" and it's how you pronounce the character in your recordings as well.

Ayisha, do you think it's a good idea to rename your files and reupload them? Thank you!
Cheers,
Ayishalyu

Post by Ayishalyu »

Yuqing,

Thanks for pointing that out! :thumbs: I will follow your suggestion later!

Ayisha
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

SECTION 1 - SEE PL NOTES

Well done, Ayisha! This will be PL OK once the file name is changed :thumbs:
Cheers,
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

SECTION 2 - SEE PL NOTES

Again, the only issue is with the file name.

Didn't know I was in for some good voice acting! Thank you, Ayisha :thumbs:
Cheers,
YuqingJune

Post by YuqingJune »

SECTION 3 - SEE PL NOTES

Aside from the file name, I've noticed the following:
0:11 chapter heading 禊游 was read as "hui quan"

Everything else is great! Good job :clap:
Cheers,
Ayishalyu

Post by Ayishalyu »

Yuqing,

SECTION 1 - SEE PL NOTES
SECTION 2 - SEE PL NOTES
↑ I already renewd the filenames and reuploaded, please check again, thanks :)
Didn't know I was in for some good voice acting!
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm blushing.😉
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great, I'm glad we are fully staffed!

I've deleted the ~ from the topic title, and deleted the advert for a DPL.

It's fine to rename the files, but just as an FYI for the future, the MC can easily rename all files during cataloging. In fact, it's one of my standard steps, to make sure no typos slip through accidentally into the final project. So I generally don't ask people to upload another file, if the only problem was the file name. As long as the link in the MW works and you haven't given the same name to 2 separate files, it is fine and I can correct the names later.

MaryAnn