COMPLETE Imperialism and World Politics, Part 1 of 4, by Parker Thomas Moon - rr

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Alister

Post by Alister »

redrun wrote: March 7th, 2024, 6:09 am Thank you, I'll note that down. :thumbs:
Thanks redrun :D
DrSpoke wrote: March 7th, 2024, 11:40 am
Back to work. A couple of points to change, I'd suggest:
A spot corrected version is uploading now :thumbs:
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

section 5 s-pl ok.

So, I'll be ready for the bloodied four C's of the next section.
All the best
Alister

Post by Alister »

Well I was curious about a company that crops up in the next section around 47 minutes or so; and looking it up I was correct :)

Lever Brothers merged with Margarine Unie to form Unilever in 1929.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unilever_brands
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 4:50 am Well I was curious about a company that crops up in the next section around 47 minutes or so; and looking it up I was correct :)

Lever Brothers merged with Margarine Unie to form Unilever in 1929.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unilever_brands
Aha! Interesting.
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: March 26th, 2024, 3:18 pm just shy of the hour :)
🏋🏾
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

and section 6 is PL ok!
Alister

Post by Alister »

It is my intention to record the next two sections back to back. I'll start tomorrow. I'm hoping to have both done in maybe. . . a week and a half. The 14th doesn't seem too ambitious. We'll see if I can do it :wink:.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 7:47 am It is my intention to record the next two sections back to back. I'll start tomorrow. I'm hoping to have both done in maybe. . . a week and a half. The 14th doesn't seem too ambitious. We'll see if I can do it :wink:.
!!!!! we are close to the end - of the beginning !!!!!!
Not sure I will be able to do PL work until the following weekend though..
Alister

Post by Alister »

DrSpoke wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 1:54 pm !!!!! we are close to the end - of the beginning !!!!!!
Not sure I will be able to do PL work until the following weekend though..
We surely are and no worries, whenever works for you :D.

So I'm just going to repost the link to this other copy of Imperialism from back when, because.... yeaaaah... I failed to switch over to it. You'll need it when you do PL; page 106 has text cut off along the margin.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015002442674&seq=130
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

Alister wrote: April 4th, 2024, 12:25 am link to this other copy of Imperialism [...] You'll need it when you do PL; page 106 has text cut off along the margin.
Oh no! I'm not going to have one of those ?!?!! ? ?? lyrical images of Moon's writing. Or possibly a few extra collateral damage on the way towards civilization! Too bad.
Alister

Post by Alister »

Yes, alas, more book gore. Very sad.

But if you are interpreting me with more literalness, and abstractness, than I intended when I referenced a 'copy of Imperialism' then well. . . 'reaching' civilization might be a bit of a stretch. From the perspective of humanity, moving beyond the endless self-inflicted wounds that imperialism causes, between countries, and often domestically, well. . . we always sooner or later backslide don't we?

Hopefully your PL does not require gunboat diplomacy or deployment of troops to another continent. I would be very concerned.

https://librivox.org/uploads/redrun/imperialism1of4_07_moon_128kb.mp3

Section 7 - 27:03 (Aww, yeah. . . Crushin' It :mrgreen:)
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

A couple of possible edits for page 103 and 108:

103@13:18 there's a bit missing – underlined here:
All this before Luederitz had made his purchase. Bismarck, on the face of the record, would appear to have been scrupulously correct. But the grizzled Realpolitiker

108@24:38 [there's sometimes a loose way in the book to refer to African areas as empire, kingdom and such, yet..]
Though the British had a protectorate treaty with the Kingdom of Borgu, the French claimed that the Kingdom of Nikki was the real suzerain of the Borgu country.
Though the British had a protectorate treaty with the King of Borgu, the French claimed that the King of Nikki was the real suzerain of the Borgu country.

Alister wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:35 am
But if you are interpreting me with more literalness, and abstractness, than I intended when I referenced a 'copy of Imperialism' then well. . . 'reaching' civilization might be a bit of a stretch. From the perspective of humanity, moving beyond the endless self-inflicted wounds that imperialism causes, between countries, and often domestically, well. . . we always sooner or later backslide don't we?
Actually, I was teasing, remembering the previous case of missing pages and the hilarious result of matching those two bits of text not supposed to go together. I try to behave with my political comments otherwise.
Alister wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:35 am Hopefully your PL does not require gunboat diplomacy or deployment of troops to another continent. I would be very concerned.
I don't know. Can I get my title just like that? Sir DrSpoke! - without deploying lies, booze and firepower to get hold of not-free -> virtually-free-> really not-free-as-of-now freehold?
Last edited by DrSpoke on April 5th, 2024, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrSpoke

Post by DrSpoke »

I try to behave with my political comments otherwise.

:|

i do try...
Alister

Post by Alister »

Context. Yep. I gotcha.

Now I'm almost tempted to record the whole thing just to see :D .