[FULL] Titus Andronicus by William Shakespeare - kit

Upcoming books fully-subscribed with readers. Check progress here, too
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

To get us off to a work-a-day start, here are two rather bland selections from the narrator:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/titusandronicus_dp_kelly.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/titusandronicus_narrator_1_1.mp3
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

An excellent start, Kelly (at least as far as the Dramatis Personae goes). That is PL OK and Sonia is slated to check your 1.1 narration when she's ready to do so.

Off we go! I hope we'll get more files in due course. :mrgreen:
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you for starting us off Kelly and there is nothing bland about it

There are a few PL notes, mainly because of the pronunciations. Tomas gave us a guide to all the names and some of them were off here. I guess we want to be consistent throughout, so I noted them all:

> at 0:39: "and then enter Saturninus" – you say "SaTURnius" here, later you say correctly "SaturNIGHnus"
> at 0:44: "and Bassianus" – you say "BasSEEnius" instead of "BassiANus"
> at 3:00: "Bassianus" – needs to be BassiANus
> at about 3:11: missed line: "Titus, to Tamora"
> at 3:35: "exeunt Bassianus" - needs to be BassiANus
> at 3:45: "exeunt Lucius, Quintus and Martius" – you say "LuSEEus" instead of "LOOshus" and "MarSEEus" instead of "MARshus"
> at about 4:16: missed line: "Re-enter Lucius"
> at 4:47: Lucius, Quintus and Martius" – same here for LOOshus and MARshus
> at about 5:10: missed line: "All, kneeling"
> at 5:26: "Bassianus" – needs to be BassiANus

thanks

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Sonia! I should admit that I have not yet watched or listened to a production of the play, so these pronunciations I listed are actually from a Shakespeare resource site I've used in the past and I cannot speak to whether they are actually the most commonly used ones. They just seemed correct to me, but maybe someone who has heard these names more often would like to correct me if any of them are off the mark? These Roman names can be annoyingly tricky.

That being said, I would like consistency on pronunciation, so even if changes in pronunciation are agreed upon, we need to maintain consistent pronunciation the entire way through. It will sound sloppy if a character name is pronounced a million different ways throughout the play. So everyone PLing should be mindful of that and consult the pronunciation guide if something sounds off.
Tomas Peter
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I studied opera in Rome for a short time and fell deeply in love with everything about it. I took my fair share of Roman history courses in college though it wasn’t needed for my degree. That said, I am by no means an expert (and it’s been so long I don’t remember everything) but the pronunciation guide seems right for what I would have expected. Just my 2 cents.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

WiltedScribe wrote: March 18th, 2024, 10:31 am Thanks, Sonia! I should admit that I have not yet watched or listened to a production of the play, so these pronunciations I listed are actually from a Shakespeare resource site I've used in the past and I cannot speak to whether they are actually the most commonly used ones. They just seemed correct to me, but maybe someone who has heard these names more often would like to correct me if any of them are off the mark? These Roman names can be annoyingly tricky.

That being said, I would like consistency on pronunciation, so even if changes in pronunciation are agreed upon, we need to maintain consistent pronunciation the entire way through. It will sound sloppy if a character name is pronounced a million different ways throughout the play. So everyone PLing should be mindful of that and consult the pronunciation guide if something sounds off.
I think the recommended pronunciations are fine. I just had a bit of trouble going back and forth between the guide and the script. I'm going to make a "cheat sheet" for myself that lists the names in alphabetical order so they will be easier to locate quickly as I'm reading.

Also, for some reason, when I would say "Saturninus" I would want to say "Bassinius" in a way that would correspond to my pronunciation of the first name -- This was just a mistake I didn't realize I was making. Somehow it sounded right as I was speaking. It's not a problem. I'll have the file fixed today or tomorrow.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thanks, Kelly! Always good to get the narration out of the way first. :mrgreen:

The files are now in the MW. I will PL 2.4 myself a bit later.
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PLed my two bits. 1.1. is perfectly corrected and PL ok now, thank you.

For 2.2. there are a couple of notes:

> at the beginning: you can cut "act 2", later the whole act will be in one section, so we don't need to repeat it before every scene
> at 0:34: "and wind horns in a peal" - you say "wind of horns" (wind horns are some sort of bugle or trumpets I would guess)

thanks

Sonia
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

Kitty wrote: March 20th, 2024, 1:19 pm
PLed my two bits. 1.1. is perfectly corrected and PL ok now, thank you.

For 2.2. there are a couple of notes:

> at the beginning: you can cut "act 2", later the whole act will be in one section, so we don't need to repeat it before every scene
> at 0:34: "and wind horns in a peal" - you say "wind of horns" (wind horns are some sort of bugle or trumpets I would guess)

thanks

Sonia
Here are the fixes to Act 2:2. I took "Act" out of my other files that weren't the beginning of an act as well.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/titusandronicus_narrator_2_2.mp3
Last edited by ktaylor07 on March 21st, 2024, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ktaylor07 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 8:42 amHere are the fixes to Act 2:2. I took "Act" out of my other files that weren't the beginning of an act as well.
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/titusandronicus_narrator_2_2.mp3
:thumbs: and now PL ok, thank you, Kelly

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Woo-hoo, that was quick! All the narrator files are now in the MW. Thanks, Kelly! :)
Tomas Peter
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

Narrator 2.3 and 3.2 are PL-OK!

Narrator 4.4 Note:
~1:00- missing “To Ameilius
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

jennlea wrote: March 27th, 2024, 10:28 am Narrator 2.3 and 3.2 are PL-OK!

Narrator 4.4 Note:
~1:00- missing “To Ameilius
Here's my fix to 4.4: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/titusandronicus_narrator_4_4.mp3