[SOLO] The Quakers in the American Colonies by Rufus Jones - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Dick

Post by Dick »

I run most of the pronunciations of cities through an app.called pronunciation :? ............. do you think I'd be better off ditching the app?
I guess I view New England as foreign and don't trust my instincts when it comes to pronouncing the names of cities there.
Smile, Breathe and Go Slowly :)
Richard Vogel
Dick

Post by Dick »

section 6 is ready for pl.
My other chapter in The Young Ice Whalers will be next.
Was you're great grandmother part of the family that relocated to Oregon?
Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Dick wrote: February 13th, 2024, 12:29 pm section 6 is ready for pl.
My other chapter in The Young Ice Whalers will be next.
Was you're great grandmother part of the family that relocated to Oregon?
Back from my sudden trip to New England!
I wouldn't worry too much about the pronunciations.
There are a number of sites. Forvo and howdoyoupronounce among them. But, you're right. New England names are a challenge, and I still don't get them right, having been born and raised in Oregon.I

I'm not sure where all my mother's ancestors came from. We have quite a few of our Tish relatives around Greenleaf, Idaho, where there was a sizable Quaker settlement. My mother was born in the state of Washington, but then the family moved to Vallejo, California across the bay From San Francisco. There was no Friends church there so they joined the Church of the Nazarene. There my mother met my father whose father had come to pastor. So that is my spiritual heritage.

Now there is a prominent statue of May Dyer in front of the State House in Boston on the hill overlooking the Boston Common where these executions took place. A horrific chapter in the history of our country founded, many believe, to secure religious freedom.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Dick

Post by Dick »

Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Dick wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:30 am https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/quakersamericancolonies_07_jones_128kb.mp3

section 7 is ready for PL
Not an easy chapter. :cry:

The Old South Church, mentioned at the end, is still there, and my wife and I were once on staff there, after it had changed hands a few times. Sad piece of its history.

I'm marking this PL OK. Just one pronunciation note: Piscataqua has an accent on the second syllable. We've crossed the Piscataqua River Bridge many times, and camped along its banks. Probably no need to correct it. It can be an alternative pronunciation.
~ Larry
Dick

Post by Dick »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/quakersamericancolonies_08_jones_128kb.mp3

Another long one.

South Church has quite a history!
It houses a thriving church now, doesn't it?
Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Dick wrote: March 27th, 2024, 9:35 am https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/quakersamericancolonies_08_jones_128kb.mp3

Another long one.

South Church has quite a history!
It houses a thriving church now, doesn't it?
PL OK

Well, I may have confused this with another historic church that was called South Church, which was an expansion of First Parish Church which still sits on a prominent hill. This one then became known as Second Church. which is the one I was associated with. The building is a National Historic site and features a Paul Revere Bell. There are two active congregations that meet there. Old South in downtown Boston I think is used mostly as a venue, but may have an active congregation as well. The whole Boston area is drenched in history, of course. It was more than I could learn even having lived and worked in the area for many years.
~ Larry
Dick

Post by Dick »

FYI
Just letting you know the pause in recording is due to a bad case of hoarseness
:?
Richard Vogel
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Oh, please take care and get well soon!