[OPEN][Biography/Music]My Musical Life by Walter Damrosch - kit

Every work here needs a reader! Please sign up and help us complete these books. The symbol ~ means that Proof Listeners are needed
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Hi Sonia

Take 2. Getting closer, I hope.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_12_damrosch_128kb.mp3
35'12"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jonatoner wrote: March 20th, 2024, 8:00 amTake 2. Getting closer, I hope.
good corrections, but I found one more note to add...

> at 30:56: I hear now "quote" before "M. Paderewski", sorry that I missed it the first time around. :oops: I would cut this here, or if you absolutely want to mark the spoken words, at least you also need to say "unquote" at the end of the speech (at 31:08)

thanks

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Section 23 is ready for proof listening. Thank you

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_23_damrosch_128kb.mp3

31:47
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 22nd, 2024, 10:17 amSection 23 is ready for proof listening. Thank you
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_23_damrosch_128kb.mp3
thank you, that brings a long and interesting chapter to a close :thumbs: The descriptions from Milan were nice, I spent a week there last year so I remembered all the sites he mentions, the Scala, the Castello. 8-) Oh and your German and Italian is quite good :thumbs:

Two small edits still:

> at 31:39: "end of chapter 16" - this can be cut, only say "end of section 23"

> the background noise this time is a bit excessive I'm afraid. It's hard to find a sample because you don't leave much space between sentences, :? and the end 5 seconds are much quieter, so they don't represent the underlying background noise. I would suggest taking a sample at around 28:51, I think that may do the trick. There the background whining was quite prominent.

Thanks

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

I removed the end of chapter segment but I have had a terrible time trying to correct the noise you hear which, even though I put my ear right next to the speakers, I do not hear. I wonder why there is such a difference. I assume the difficulty I am having with the noise reduction is due to the fact that I ran it through noise reduction twice before and now this third time reduces it to a completely inaudible recording with the voice sounding distant and as though it were in an echo chamber. I've changed the various noise reduction settings to see whether that might make a difference but it does not. I tried to go back and see whether I could delete previous noise reductions but that didn't work either. Everything just got completely fouled up. With regard to the lack of spacing between sentences and phrases that was due to several reasons: when editing I was hearing and seeing on the screen a lot of noise and static for some reason in those spots so I eliminated them which shortened the space between sentences. I also eliminated the space where I could hear an intake of breath which I didn't want to hear and I presume no one else would want to hear either. But, I listened to the entire recording again and it does sound very fast. Any suggestions? Is the noise so bad (and maybe the pacing too) that I should record the entire thing again? Just let me know. Thanks.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 11:18 amI ran it through noise reduction twice before and now this third time reduces it to a completely inaudible recording with the voice sounding distant and as though it were in an echo chamber.
ok yes distortion can happen when there is too much noise cleaning. Then don't reupload it ! I will try to clean it on my side. I tried my settings and it worked quite well. I will reupload it for you and it still will sound good.
With regard to the lack of spacing between sentences and phrases that was due to several reasons: when editing I was hearing and seeing on the screen a lot of noise and static for some reason in those spots so I eliminated them which shortened the space between sentences. I also eliminated the space where I could hear an intake of breath which I didn't want to hear and I presume no one else would want to hear either.
ah so that is what you are doing. I thought you were recording without much breathing in between, and I found that amazing.

Ok, we always recommend not cutting out breaths. If you feel they are too loud, you can always manually reduce them a bit. That is what I am doing with my loud intakes, I highlight them and amplify with -10, then it's still a breath and sounds human, without sounding too obtrusive. And it will reduce the background noise as well.
But, I listened to the entire recording again and it does sound very fast.
that is what I was mentioning from the start...because you don't have much breathing space in between your sentences, your chapters always sound very fast. It's ok, one gets used to it after a while, but if you could pace it a bit slower that would be optimal.
Any suggestions? Is the noise so bad (and maybe the pacing too) that I should record the entire thing again?
a big definite NO, don't re-record. It's a good recording and I can clean it up a little bit. This chapter is too long to re-record, too much time for you and for me both. Time better used in recording another chapter :mrgreen:

Don't worry, I'll reupload from my side.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thanks, so are you able to eliminate the phrase "End of Chapter 16" along with applying noise reduction on your end so that I don't need to submit anything more, just wanted to be sure? I'm glad to know that one should keep in the breaths as long as they are not too loud and I will try to speak more slowly although I think that problem is more often to do with the eliminating of space between sentences because of noise and breathing. Also good to know that I should not use the final 5 seconds for the noise reduction sample which I have been doing up to now. Thanks again!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lkirk wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 12:44 pmThanks, so are you able to eliminate the phrase "End of Chapter 16" along with applying noise reduction on your end so that I don't need to submit anything more, just wanted to be sure?
yes I did that at same time ;) it's uploaded again, if you want to check the quality. I mark it now PL ok, I have re-checked it.
I'm glad to know that one should keep in the breaths as long as they are not too loud
yes definitely. As I like to mention: only robots don't breathe. We pride ourselves on having only human-voiced recordings, so there needs to be breathing. ;)
and I will try to speak more slowly although I think that problem is more often to do with the eliminating of space between sentences because of noise and breathing.
yes your "reading" is not too fast, you don't need to read slower. The slighty "hectic" pacing is happening because you don't leave much space in between, probably because you cut breathing instead of reducing the volume.
Also good to know that I should not use the final 5 seconds for the noise reduction sample which I have been doing up to now.
actually...I am also always doing the noise reduction from a sample in the 5 last seconds and it's usually done that way. Because one usually can be sure that the last 5 seconds is only "room noise" and that would be a good sample. In your recording however, and I don't know why, your last 5 seconds sound so clean, while the whining tone is in the middle of the recording. That's why in this specific case, the 5 seconds didn't help much as a sample. But usually I would also recommend using those.

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Thank you for this information and I'm glad you were able to take care of the elimination of the phrase and the noise reduction. Good to know that I should continue to use the last 5 seconds for the noise reduction sample. Now for more natural breathing in my recordings so they don't sound so fast!
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Hi Sonia
Took out the quote. Enjoy your vacation!
35'11"
janicwedge

Post by janicwedge »

Hello,
Here is my recording of section 6 of Damrosch. Hope it's all right. I did not say "quote" when it was obvious. Should I have?

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_06_damrosch_128kb.mp3 25.42 MB

Janet Wedge (janicwedge)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Jonatoner wrote: March 27th, 2024, 9:05 amTook out the quote. Enjoy your vacation!
:thumbs: thank you, now definitely PL ok

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

janicwedge wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:13 pmHere is my recording of section 6 of Damrosch. Hope it's all right. I did not say "quote" when it was obvious. Should I have?
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_06_damrosch_128kb.mp3
hello Janet, and thank you for your chapter, which was very fluently narrated and nearly flawless. :thumbs: No small feat for one of your first official sections, if I remember correctly.

To answer your question about the quotes. I personally recommend leaving out the quotes as usually one can convey them with the tone of voice anyway. If they have to be added, at least we also have to include "end quote" after the quote as well, to show the closure. This may clutter the audio if quotes are used extensively, that's why I usually leave them out. Here are the timestamps where you said "quote" but not "unquote", so maybe you want to cut the "quote" as well here ?

> at 1:11: "other celebrated stars"
> at 1:50: "the possibility of a “transformation” scene"
> at 3:54: of what he called “the new yellow brewery on Broadway.”
> at 6:46: a typical German “heroic tenor,”
> at 9:35: There had been an “improvised” performance
> at 18:17: chivalrously to “see us through.”

other small edits I would suggest are the following. Oh and please only spot correct the time stamps I mentioned. Re-recording the entire chapter is usually not encouraged because it would give too much work for the reader and prooflistener as well, since all the work has to be done from scratch. :? (I mention this because some new readers fear they need to re-record it all)

> at 0:19: please also say the second part of the intro: "My musical life, by Walter Damrosch". Then you can cut repeating "section 6" here, rather say "chapter 6" at this point, since that would be part of the title of the chapter.

> at 17:26: between "Monday evening"and "during this trip" there is a loud beeping sound which can easily be cut

> at 23:33: "and when Staudigl (Wotan) had disappeared in the flames" - you say "Siegfried"

> at 24:49: there is an audible click between "delighted" and "grin"

> at 24:51: after "grin on his face" - paper rustling can be cut

> at 24:52: missed line "Thus ended my first opera tour."

> at 26:27: paper rustling at "generosity"

> at the end: you forgot the end disclaimer "End of section 6", followed by our standard 5 seconds of silence

> also when posting a link, please always include the length of your file, so the Magic Window can be updated accordingly

thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

announcement: haven't heard back from the initial reader for two months now, so section 2 is up for grabs again now

Sonia
lkirk

Post by lkirk »

Section 10 is ready for proof listening.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/mymusicallife_10_damrosch_128kb.mp3

27:16

Hope you had a nice vacation!