pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Section 4 is pl ok.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you, Pattymarie!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sections 5 and 6 are pl ok. I wonder how many people today know who Anchises was, or even Aeneas, at least in the mythology enshrined in the Aeneid.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Pattymarie,

Thank you and yes, we both know, for whatever reason!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

pnagami wrote: March 11th, 2024, 6:42 am Hi Pattymarie,

...we both know, for whatever reason!

Pam
For me it's growing up in a time and place in which Latin was taught at the public high school and translating parts of the Aeneid, then reading the whole epic in English translation in college world lit.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Whoa! Impressive!

I did read Horace and Lucretius in Latin, but later in life. And I read the “Aeneid” in translation, too.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Pattymarie,

Section 8 is up:

25:39

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/historyofthepapacyviii_08_creighton_128kb.mp3

Ah, the wiles of diplomacy!

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

Sectıons 7 and 8 are pl ok.

I loved Creighton's extensive and superbly articulate portrait of Aeneas's louche character eloquently limning a myriad of details that many people today would sum up with a vulgar epithet or two. Creighton's encapsulation of all Aeneas's disgraceful traits and deeds as "frivolity and absence of principle" and of the man as "a selfish voluptuary" are priceless.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

I agree, Pattymarie, and I love your word louche!

Actually, I love the whole paragraph you wrote.

Thanks!

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Hi Pattymarie,

Section 9 is up:

28:30

https://librivox.org/uploads/lorda/historyofthepapacyviii_09_creighton_128kb.mp3

The end of Eugenius IV.

My best,

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson
pattymarie

Post by pattymarie »

pnagami wrote: March 19th, 2024, 3:09 pm I agree, Pattymarie, and I love your word louche!

Actually, I love the whole paragraph you wrote.

Thanks!

Pam
:) That's the first time I've used that word in my own right. I learned it years ago from a woman applying it to some of the leaders of the crusades in a review of a book about those ventures. It was recalled to my mind a few months ago when accusations of possibly criminal misconduct of that sort started to come out against the comedian/actor/news reporter and commentator Russel Brand. In a column about Russel's career and behavior and the way women pursued him in his younger years mirroring trends in our society, Melanie Phillips described the RB she knew of over a decade ago as "a louche, lewd, drug addicted motormouth spouting far left and anarchistic" ideas. I take Russel's word that the activities of his promiscuous youth were consensual on both sides and that he has changed. I haven't read or listened to any of his books, but I've somehow picked up that he claims first to have had what I call a new age type of spiritual awakening, which, though it falls short of salvation in Christ, can change values and behavior. Then, a stable marriage and children such as he now has tends to make erstwhile profligates clean up their act. He's far from my only source of news and opinion, but I appreciate him for scouring the internet for news and commentary I would never come across from sources as disparate as the Jacobin and the Telegraph and others such as independent substack writers or periodicals I never hear of until he reads and comments on something from them.

Section 9 is pl ok.
Pattymarie
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thanks, Pattymarie!

RB is a fascinating character, I agree. A louche past seems likely.

I think Shakespeare might have approved of this Trinculo in "The Tempest," 2010.

Pam

Robert Louis Stevenson