[SOLO]Dark Princess, by W.E.B. Du Bois-mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: March 25th, 2024, 10:43 am Sorry for the typo - 15 is now PL OK :thumbs:

Yeah, that was the ticket. It "cleaned up" nicely and still has great volume.

I'm still on 3.2.4 - always slow to upgrade my Audacity. I'm not tech-savvy to start with, and have trouble rolling back if I decide I need to. :lol:
If I didn't have built-in tech support at home in the form of my techie wife, I wouldn't be able to do half of what I do. Sometimes I try to figure out things myself. If successful, great. If not, "Honey?"...

But sometimes I'm just like, "I don't feel like figuring this out. Could you do it?" Fortunately, she's one of these people who has fun troubleshooting. She likes the challenge and what she learns as she does it. Good for her, good for me!
Waiting for a clever signature line to occur to me.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

lol!!! Yeah, I lost my in-home tech support when our daughter got married and moved to the next town. :lol: You're lucky!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Verla,

Check View / Show clipping in Audacity.

You can toggle the red lines to show clipping on and off ... I generally leave them on all the time so I know when I'm too close to the mic or need to adjust the input gain for some other reason.

MaryAnn
vviera

Post by vviera »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: March 26th, 2024, 6:06 pm Verla,

Check View / Show clipping in Audacity.

You can toggle the red lines to show clipping on and off ... I generally leave them on all the time so I know when I'm too close to the mic or need to adjust the input gain for some other reason.

MaryAnn
Thanks!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Section 16 is up for PL. Thanks!

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Section 16 is PL OK :thumbs:

She sure is a schemer!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: March 30th, 2024, 4:11 pm Section 16 is PL OK :thumbs:

She sure is a schemer!
Indeed. It occurred to me that "Part 3 The Chicago Politician" could just as easily refer to her.

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

Section 17, "More Scheming," is up for PL :lol:

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

hi, Verla! Section 17 is great, except that the background noise on this one is a wee bit distracting. Noise Reduction would polish it up nicely if you'd like to do that. :)
~Lynette * -
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: April 1st, 2024, 6:16 pm hi, Verla! Section 17 is great, except that the background noise on this one is a wee bit distracting. Noise Reduction would polish it up nicely if you'd like to do that. :)
That's bizarre. I always run two passes of noise reduction, which is what I did with this one. I looked at background noise level on Checker for both sec. 16 and 17. They are almost identical - 16 is 41.6, and 17 is 42. I don't hear it when I listen to it (the mp3) unless I turn it up really loud.

Anyway, I did another pass of noise reduction and it's now showing 37. Could you give it another listen and tell me what you think?

Edit: oops, give me a second to upload it.
Edit #2: OK, uploaded now.

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

So much better :)

I've noticed that the Checker "profile" - and even the visual appearance of the track central line - don't always match up with the perceived sound of a recording. Very weird sometimes - like, it'll say the background noise is up around 50, but when you play the recording, there's no noticeable background noise (and yes, it has the end silence, and everything). :lol:
~Lynette * -
vviera

Post by vviera »

LCaulkins wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:03 pm So much better :)

I've noticed that the Checker "profile" - and even the visual appearance of the track central line - don't always match up with the perceived sound of a recording. Very weird sometimes - like, it'll say the background noise is up around 50, but when you play the recording, there's no noticeable background noise (and yes, it has the end silence, and everything). :lol:
That's what a second set of ears is for - thank you for checking it out!

Cheers, VERLA
vviera

Post by vviera »

FYI, April is crazy for me, including some time spent out of town. We'll see how it goes, but I wouldn't be surprised if I don't have the next section up until May. Just want you to know I'm not disappearing. :D

Cheers, VERLA
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. :)
~Lynette * -
vviera

Post by vviera »

Section 18 is up for PL.

Cheers, VERLA