~SOLO Selected Works by John Graham Brooks - tg

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The way you're proposing reading the table sounds fine to me.

Footnotes are at your discretion. You could leave it out altogether if you want, or, as you say, you can move it to the end of the sentence if you like that best. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
brandonbrinkley

Post by brandonbrinkley »

Section 2 has been copied to a local text file for scripting purposes, proofread for copy/paste errors, and is ready for recording. Word count is 1909 for the source text (i.e. excluding LV intro and ending text) and the MW has been updated accordingly.

Section 1 proofing is in progress. With the reading of the table as mentioned in the previous message, word count is currently at 6497.

Current plan is to finish proofing Section 1 and record Section 2 this week.
brandonbrinkley

Had a delay last week. I've scripted out section 2 with the intro and ending and just finished working out the phonetics of the German words. Plan to make the first recording tomorrow (I usually do a few).

I did decide to drop the footnote, as it was long and difficult to work in without diverting attention from the main point.

Question: There are several lines and sentence segments that are in quotes, though they don't seem to be direct quotes from anyone in particular. In my head this reads like an old radio news broadcast, like someone in the 1930s reading a newspaper article over the air. I feel like I should be using the words "quote" and "end quote" to demark these phrases. Is this acceeptible? For example:
...outspoken disapprobation from many well-known citizens "from scientific circles," who have no sympathy...
would literally be read:
...outspoken disapprobation from many well-known citizens, -- quote -- from scientific circles -- end quote -- who have no sympathy...
If not, in this case I would probably just emphasize the word "scientific" such that one might understand that I am using "air quotes". In fact, I would do this in some cases anyway so that I don't over use the quote/end-quote thing, (Having read this one again a few times over, I think I chose a bad example, but there are longer quotes that do feel more like actual quotes, even if no source is cited by the author.)

Thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think you're on the right track. You can either do "quote" "end quote" or change the tone of your voice to give the impression you're after. And yes, too many instances of "quote" "end quote" can be tiring. Go with your gut. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
brandonbrinkley

TriciaG wrote: April 10th, 2024, 3:59 pm I think you're on the right track. You can either do "quote" "end quote" or change the tone of your voice to give the impression you're after. And yes, too many instances of "quote" "end quote" can be tiring. Go with your gut. :)
Awesome, I'll try to give it another pass tonight. Thanks for the quick reply!