[COMPLETE] Wonderful London - Anonymous-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura; I agree about "household gods" and have edited it. And I've adjusted the volume. I must have forgotten to normalise ... another late night session!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Chapter 34 is good to go.

Have a great day, Peter.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura. It's been raining fairly persistently here recently, but at least the temperature is much milder than usual for February!

I've uploaded Chapter 36: "The Sunday rag-fair in the city" - pdf pages 453-462 / text 426-433

Remember "The Book of the Cheese" that we talked about earlier ... about the Old Cheshire Cheese pub? I've just recorded the first chapter for the Multilingual First Chapter collection. It seems quite light-hearted, historical, with lots of quotes and epigrams.

Do you still want to DPL it? ... no pressure!

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Thanks so much, Peter, I would definitely still like to DPL "The Book of the Cheese" and am very much looking forward to it!

We've had a break from rain but the mild temperatures are here. I'll be able to open my windows several days in the upcoming week to let some fresh air in, which will be quite nice, assuming the skunks haven't perfumed said fresh air with their not so lovely fragrance. If so, the windows will sadly have to stay closed.

Chapter 36 is PL OK
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

And here is Chapter 37. "Our poor old horses" pdf pages 463-470 / text 434-441

Hoping for better Spring fragrances than you're dreading. Buds are just showing on the trees, though the crocuses and daffodils are prematurely flowering.

I'd better get working on that drawing I said I'd do.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

It's so hard for me to understand such cruelty. Unlike the horrible treatment of these horses, my granddaughter, who was eight at the time, snuggled up close to her elderly horse and quietly read to her until she passed on. I can't think of a much more peaceful way to drift off.

Chapter 37 is PL OK

You're on the homestretch of finishing this book. I'm looking forward to seeing your drawing for the cover of it.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura .... you're hoping for great-grandchildren to read to you as you fade away?

Here's chapter 38. Starting work on a drawing this evening.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

That would be a cool way to go out, I think! I hope the drawing is going well, Peter.

Chapter 38 is PL OK
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm doing a couple of drawings, just to give our covermaker some choice (including the choice not to use either of them, of course!).

I've uploaded chapter 39 - "The end of "Jack Ketch's warren" - pdf 478-485 / text 449-456

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Chapter 39 is PL OK
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura. I've uploaded chapter 40: "A white-glove day" pdf pages 486-489 / text 457-460

A bit of heavy irony here!

I did do one drawing, but I'm very unhappy with it. I have a handful of PD victorian street photos which I'll zip into annise's folder later as possibilities for the cover.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Sad to say, our journey through Wonderful London is about to draw to a close. I'm sure you found some great images as choices for the cover and I'll be looking forward to the last chapter.
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura; I've uploaded the last chapter "Ladies in the temple" pdf pages 490-498 / text 461-469

My favourite chapter was the first one ... the coffee stall.

Annise, I wasn't satisfied with the drawing that I did, so here are some photos of Victorian London which might be suitable for a cover. They are PD photos from picryl.com:

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/PD.zip

Don't feel obliged to use any of them!

Thank you both for your work on this.

Peter
lvictoria

Post by lvictoria »

Hi Peter,

Possibly just one fix and a couple of spots to check and see if they're okay as is, then this one will be ready to catalog.

At ~7:10 there's a glitch in the middle of this sentence to just check that it's okay as is: "Was the Middle Temple chosen because of the notorious subservience of its benchers in the reigns of the Stuarts " -'of its' seems a little distorted pg 464

~13:12 "They want to know who attends to the rooms;"--'They want to know' is missing- bottom of pg 467

I don't know that this matters, but the outro was read 'end of Wonderful London'-- in all other places you include 'its lights and shadows of humour and sadness'
Laura
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks, Laura; all corrections made.

Peter