[SOLO]Lolly Willowes : or, the loving huntsman by Sylvia Townsend Warner - mas

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Corin

Post by Corin »

Ok, I've finished re-reading the text and preparing my notes and am ready to record!

One last question, regarding the note at the end of each section. I don't think it makes sense to say "end of Part 1" for the first of the 3 sections in Part 1, even though "Part 1" is the name of the first section. "End of Part 1" would imply the ending of Part 1 of the book, not just the section with that title.

So, here is my solution, but please let me know if there is a better way to do this!

End note for "Part 1":
End of Part 1, section 1

End note for "Part 1, cont.":
End of Part 1, section 2

End of Part 1
- Shannon
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Corin wrote: February 21st, 2024, 1:22 pm Ok, I've finished re-reading the text and preparing my notes and am ready to record!

One last question, regarding the note at the end of each section. I don't think it makes sense to say "end of Part 1" for the first of the 3 sections in Part 1, even though "Part 1" is the name of the first section. "End of Part 1" would imply the ending of Part 1 of the book, not just the section with that title.

So, here is my solution, but please let me know if there is a better way to do this!

End note for "Part 1":
End of Part 1, section 1

End of Part 1, section 2

End of Part 1
Your solution makes sense to me :)
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I agree. I think it's a nice solution.
MaryAnn
Corin

Post by Corin »

- Shannon
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Corin wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:47 pm Section 1 ready for PL - thank you!

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/lollywillowes_01_warner_128kb.mp3
Section 1 PL OK :thumbs:
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Corin

Post by Corin »

Section 2 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/lollywillowes_02_warner_128kb.mp3

This section is within the right decibel range, but is about 1 db louder than the last section. Do you think this difference is enough to be disruptive to the listener? When doing a solo work is it a good idea to keep the volume super consistent, or is a small amount of variation ok?

Also, I have some sibilance in all these recordings. I'm still learning how to best use a de-esser, and so far I don't like the way de-essing plugins change the rest of the audio if I make them strong enough to address the sibilance, so I'm just trying to manually edit the worst of it out without making the esses unintelligible. I would welcome any feedback/constructive criticism on the current audio before I edit the rest of it - thank you!
- Shannon
Corin

Post by Corin »

I just updated my file for section 2 at the same uploader link. In case you have already started to PL, the change I made is from 27:34-27:45

Thanks!
- Shannon
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Corin wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:40 am When doing a solo work is it a good idea to keep the volume super consistent, or is a small amount of variation ok?
I'm not sure what others think, but I naturally get some variation in my recordings, because some parts need more emotion than others. Big swings are probably surprising to the listener, especially if they are wearing headphones. If you want to try some tools to even things out, you might look into Leveler (I think it's still an Audacity effect ...) and Compressor. I think Phil has a video on using Compressor ... His videos are here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Instructional_Videos

MaryAnn
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Corin wrote: March 24th, 2024, 10:40 am Section 2 ready for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/lollywillowes_02_warner_128kb.mp3

This section is within the right decibel range, but is about 1 db louder than the last section. Do you think this difference is enough to be disruptive to the listener? When doing a solo work is it a good idea to keep the volume super consistent, or is a small amount of variation ok?

Also, I have some sibilance in all these recordings. I'm still learning how to best use a de-esser, and so far I don't like the way de-essing plugins change the rest of the audio if I make them strong enough to address the sibilance, so I'm just trying to manually edit the worst of it out without making the esses unintelligible. I would welcome any feedback/constructive criticism on the current audio before I edit the rest of it - thank you!
Section 2 is PL OK :thumbs:

I agree with MaryAnne - I usually have some natural variation in sound when recording. If there is a section that is louder by a great deal in comparison to the rest of the recording, I use the Limiter function (in Audacity under Effects > Volume and Compression > Limiter (I use the default setting)) to make the section quieter.
Corin

Post by Corin »

Thank you both for the guidance!
- Shannon
Corin

Post by Corin »

Just an update that I’m still working on this - I have it all recorded and am arranging the workflow to do some of the reviewing/editing before recording the rest of the corrections all at the same time. A few more weeks and I should be able to start posting sections frequently.
- Shannon
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

Corin wrote: April 20th, 2024, 10:05 am Just an update that I’m still working on this - I have it all recorded and am arranging the workflow to do some of the reviewing/editing before recording the rest of the corrections all at the same time. A few more weeks and I should be able to start posting sections frequently.
Ok! Thanks for the update. No rush :)