Dramatic Reading Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
victoriaalicebell

Post by victoriaalicebell »

IonaMuirgel2002 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:04 am
victoriaalicebell wrote: March 13th, 2024, 4:46 am Is anyone interested in A Swiss Family Robinson DR?
Anyone who is willing to PL or edit is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Would you be doing the BC?
I am thinking that I might PL for it, but the only downside is that I have never PL-ed before, and am not quite sure how to do everything. (I know I could figure it out though)
I know that there is a first time for everything, and I might as well jump in neck deep :D.
Another thing is, if I PL for it, I probably would not get to read for any characters because I would not have anyone to PL for me, correct? But what if I got a friend (who is a LV volunteer) to listen to my recordings, would that be acceptable? Because the reason I wanted to do a dramatic SFR was so that I could read for one of the characters, namely Jenny Montrose :D .
-Iona
I'd book coordinate it.
Someone else could parts-pl your file for you. That happens rather frequently. If you have a friend who would like to do it, that's fine!
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

:thumbs:
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

victoriaalicebell wrote: March 13th, 2024, 4:46 am Is anyone interested in A Swiss Family Robinson DR?
Thanks,
I can't believe that a DR of A Swiss Family Robinson has not been done yet!
My own plate is rather full at the moment but I might check in when it is launched and claim a role. :D

~ The Countess
IonaMuirgel2002

Post by IonaMuirgel2002 »

thecountess wrote: March 18th, 2024, 5:38 am
Thanks,
I can't believe that a DR of A Swiss Family Robinson has not been done yet!
My own plate is rather full at the moment but I might check in when it is launched and claim a role. :D

~ The Countess
Don't even think of claiming Jenny Montrose! I am snatching her up as soon as I have the chance! :D
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."
-Phyllis Diller

"There’s nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.” – Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle 8-)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Hi all! Upon closer reading of Men Without Women, I've decided against doing a dramatic reading for the entire book. Not enough of the stories lend themselves to this format to justify the time and manpower to get these done. Besides, I've got 2-3 plays in my backlog I'd like to do instead. :-)

Instead, I'll just launch the most appropriate stories from that collection in the DR collections. Thanks all!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

After finishing one of my solos, I'm going to do a graduate-thesis-equivalent project: All the Emily of New Moon books (by L.M. Montgomery) as Dramatic Readings! I have claimed Emily and the work of the editor, but every other role is open! Note that the ideal is for each role to be the same throughout all three books, but hopefully that won't be too much of a drawback :D . Anyone else interested?
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You might want to add this to this new thread viewtopic.php?t=101627 Anne
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

Bookworm360 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 4:07 pm After finishing one of my solos, I'm going to do a graduate-thesis-equivalent project: All the Emily of New Moon books (by L.M. Montgomery) as Dramatic Readings! I have claimed Emily and the work of the editor, but every other role is open! Note that the ideal is for each role to be the same throughout all three books, but hopefully that won't be too much of a drawback :D . Anyone else interested?
Yes! Very yes! I have been waiting for the day that someone would BC DRs of these. I will wait until the first project launches before I request a role, but I certainly intend to do so! I’m also very glad to hear that you want to have consistent casting for all three novels. Woohoo!
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Bookworm360 wrote: March 21st, 2024, 4:07 pm After finishing one of my solos, I'm going to do a graduate-thesis-equivalent project: All the Emily of New Moon books (by L.M. Montgomery) as Dramatic Readings! I have claimed Emily and the work of the editor, but every other role is open! Note that the ideal is for each role to be the same throughout all three books, but hopefully that won't be too much of a drawback :D . Anyone else interested?
These would be a most excellent addition to our DR library! I'll add your planned lineup to the planning thread that Anne mentioned.

Just an observation from someone who has worked many DRs and several plays, amongst which are quite a few sequels - DRs take a LONG time to produce. A lot of volunteers don't remain active for the length of time producing all three of these will take. I have fallen to hoping that the most main characters can be repeated and expecting that all the others will change during the span of time. Of course, if you're not already BC'ing an DRs, you could run the first two concurrently, which would help in your case. :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
redrun
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by redrun »

To which I would add from experience: it's a really good idea to get a feel for all the non-voice work involved before launching a large project (or two). You'll never know just how important it is to get the Proof Listening right, until you've been the editor relying on all the lines to be there, or wondering which readers are still around to re-record incorrect or distorted lines. :?

You recently signed on to PL lines for another project in progress, which will make for some good practice. If you'd like to try out the editing side, there might be a few projects looking for help there too. There's also the option of running a 1-act play or a shorter DR in one of the collections, yourself.

I'm happy to see more DRs in the wings, but the thing to remember is: there are folks who can help, but as the BC, you are the only one who can guarantee the project ever finishes. :wink:
I'll be out for a bit on this last weekend of April, but still checking in as I get the chance. I will try to follow up on Monday, with anything I can't do on the go.
Bookworm360

Post by Bookworm360 »

Okay, thanks for the advice! Both have been tried before, but practice is indeed necessary.
2 Timothy 1:7. Look it up.
Specializing in Middle-Earth🧝‍♀️, classics📖, and art🎨🖌
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

I am planning on starting a DR of Little Joe Otter by Thornton W. Burgess in a couple of months whenever my schedule is a little less full.
Would anyone be interested in recording or helping out in this project?

~ The Countess
loon

Post by loon »

thecountess wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:45 am I am planning on starting a DR of Little Joe Otter by Thornton W. Burgess in a couple of months whenever my schedule is a little less full.
Sure! The Thornton Burgess books are great fun.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
thecountess

Post by thecountess »

loon wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:49 am
thecountess wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:45 am I am planning on starting a DR of Little Joe Otter by Thornton W. Burgess in a couple of months whenever my schedule is a little less full.
Sure! The Thornton Burgess books are great fun.
Good! I was quite happy to find one of his books that has not had many recordings done of it. :mrgreen: :9:

~ The Countess
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

thecountess wrote: April 15th, 2024, 9:53 am Good! I was quite happy to find one of his books that has not had many recordings done of it. :mrgreen: :9:

~ The Countess
I’m glad to hear that another Thornton Burgess DR is in the works! I would be glad to claim a role once the project launches.

There are lots of Burgess books that don’t appear on LibriVox at all, such as Longlegs the Heron:

https://archive.org/details/longlegsheron00burg/page/n8/mode/1up

It may be a while before we do a DR of that one, though, because it isn’t on Project Gutenberg yet.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms