[COMPLETE]Song of Myself by Walt Whitman -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Song of Myself, by Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/song-of-myself-by-walt-whitman/

Walt Whitman's best known poem is a vast and multidinous celebration of American life, in which the 'myself' of the title becomes at one with the universe. 'Song of Myself' was first published in 1855 as part of the collection Leaves of Grass and revised several times for subsequent editions. The version read here appeared as a single poem published in book form by the Roycroft Press of New York in 1904. This version is divided into 52 numbered sections, or 'cantos', corresponding to the number of weeks in the year. Several of these cantos are well known in their own right, including Canto 6 ('What is grass?'), Canto 11 (The twenty-ninth bather), Canto 25 ('I sound my barbaric yawp!') and Canto 51 ('I am large, I contain multitudes'). (Summary by Phil Benson)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/cu31924022222057/page/n12/mode/1up

Target completion date: 2024-04-30

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================
This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
  • Project Code: 8FBarLq6
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Whitman (Walt Whitman)
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_Myself
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 52
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1855
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog?
  • Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author; Poetry/Free Verse

Keywords that describe the book: America

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Song of Myself. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Song of Myself, by Walt Whitman. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Song of Myself, by Walt Whitman. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Song of Myself, by Walt Whitman."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: songofmyself_##_whitman_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. songofmyself_01_whitman_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: xxxx

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by eggs4ears on March 22nd, 2024, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks again to Annise (MC) and Newgatenovelist (DPL)

Hoping there are few listeners who think that Walt Whitman should really be read with a northern English accent. :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll set it up - back soon...
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Hi Anne, Sorry I made a mistake, there is an Introduction. So it will be 53 sections including an Introduction.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

the newbie here viewtopic.php?p=2308669#p2308669 is a Yorks born Sydneysider too :D
extra section added as 00 for introduction

Anne
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

Thank you for the link directing me here, much appreciated!

Don't worry about the accent. If someone doesn't like Lancastrian Whitman they needn't listen! This is also probably well known enough as a book that there would be other versions available, if someone wanted to buy one from Audible with a 'better' accent.

I'm going to float a possibly controversial theory, which is that if the reader is solid I don't really mind a 'mismatch' between accent and text being recorded. I'm certain others would disagree, but it's really not an issue as far as I'm concerned.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Whitman sang of the "universal" so perhaps his work should be considered universal.

I have recorded several works by Whitman for LV and I have an English West country accent. :lol:
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

slightly off-topic - but I've always hated people who wrote in books but the scans give them immortality. And I don't see adjunct meaning subordinate in my English.
Off to going solo ......
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

Thanks, Anne! Yes, people who write in library books deserve to be... I'd better not say.

Erin, Cantos 1-14 are ready for PL in the MW. If it is okay, I won't list them here unless you ask me to (and then I will!). One small note on Canto 3 - the word 'entretied'. As far as I can see, this is a Whitman word and there is some debate over its pronunciation. Some 'correct' it to 'entreated', which doesn't sound right to me. My pronunciation seems to be plausible if it is some obscure carpentry term, but who knows what it should be.
Newgatenovelist

0-3 are PL OK. As for listing things in the thread, it's okay if you don't. I know it can get a bit fiddly with poetry sections. I always take them from the MW as those are the links that will be used to create the final project that goes to the IA.

I had a little look round regarding Canto 3. I'll send you what I found. The quick version is that I think your pronunciation is probably fine!

There appears to be a lot of excerpted Whitman in the catalogue but not as much cover-to-cover recording of some of his works. So this project, pure Manc or not, is very welcome!
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

15-28 Ready for PL! Two notes of omissions I am aware of that I will correct when I get the other PL notes. Section 18, 'With music strong I come...' is missing right at the beginning; Section 21, just over half way, 'Smile for your lover comes' is missing before 'still nodding night'.

I recorded in this in four files, which I am now breaking up. The last two files are not yet edited, so it will be a few days before the next batch arrives.

Thanks for the PL of 0-3! Just to let you know that I have reuploaded 0-14 because I forgot to add the '_128kb' to the filenames. I was hoping to do that yesterday before you got to them, but slow uploading meant I had to do it overnight. The files are identical apart from the filenames, which I have now changed in the MW. So nothing you need to worry about, just letting you know in case you notice something odd.
Newgatenovelist wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 3:13 pm There appears to be a lot of excerpted Whitman in the catalogue but not as much cover-to-cover recording of some of his works. So this project, pure Manc or not, is very welcome!
Yes, from what I can see we have most, if not all, the sections in here and there in the poetry collections. There is also a continuous recording in 'Leaves of grass', but it is kind of hidden. I think this will be the first continuous recording with the 52 sections identified. If you have any favourite sections that I can point to in the summary, please let me know!
Newgatenovelist

Great! I'll check more when I'm back online. Until then, here is a cool new toy for you to play with:
https://whitmanarchive.org/criticism/index.html
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

29-38 Ready for PL!
Newgatenovelist

0-3 are spot PL OK. (Nothing personal, it's just better to find out about any glitches that might have crept in now rather than after it's gone to the IA!)

4-7 are PL OK.

Listening while PLing is quite a different experience to listening purely for pleasure or learning, but I nonetheless think I'll be musing on some of these lines for some time after this is finished.
eggs4ears

Post by eggs4ears »

39-52 Ready for PL! Please take your time if you prefer to do them one or two at a time. I like the overall impression of this poem, but as you say there are some great lines.