COMPLETE: Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert J. Spinden -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert J. Spinden (1879 - 1967)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/ancient-civilizations-of-mexico-and-central-america-by-herbert-j-spinden/

Volunteers outside the USA: Herbert Spinden died in 1967. This person's work may still be protected by copyright in countries where copyright duration is determined by the author's death date. In Europe this is 70 years; in Canada it is 70 years for authors who died after 1971; and in Australia it is 70 years for authors who died after 1955.
Summary: The ancient cultures of Mesoamerica developed art, stone cities, and sciences (especially astronomy and mathematics), to a degree that surpasses anything else existing in the New World. These developments may even match or overtake some developments made by the major civilizations of Europe or Asia. The author actually compares the Mayan with the Ancient Greeks, and the Aztecs with the Romans: such was their influence and impact. This book describes some of their achievements.
(Summary by Mario Pineda)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54550

Target completion date: 2024-10-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

Keywords that describe the book: archaeology, mesoamerica, social studies, civilizations

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section # of Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert J. Spinden. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert J. Spinden. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section # of Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert J. Spinden. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Ancient Civilizations of Mexico and Central America, by Herbert Spinden."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: civilizationsmexicocentralamerica_##_spinden_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. civilizationsmexicocentralamerica_01_spinden_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: knotyouraveragejo

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by mpinedag on April 14th, 2024, 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I'll MC this for you. MW coming up...
Jo
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Thanks Jo! I'll start as soon as I am able.
Regards.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

I can DPL this for you if you'd like.

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

mleigh wrote: March 21st, 2024, 10:10 am I can DPL this for you if you'd like.

M
That will be great. Thanks!
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Hello M!
I have recorded and uploaded the three first sections, for your review. Details in the MW.
Thanks!
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: March 25th, 2024, 6:37 am Hello M!
I have recorded and uploaded the three first sections, for your review. Details in the MW.
Thanks!
You've got a great reading voice. I enjoyed listening to you.

Section 1 is PL OK.

Section 2 has one small change in a date.
0:45 year should be "1524" not "1521" in " and by 1524 he had captured Utatlan"'

Section 3 needs the word "not" removed.
24:00 please remove "not" in "does not agree", should read "But this fetish does agree with a pre-Mayan concept"

Looking forward to hearing more of this book.
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

I appreciate the comments, mleigh.
Great catches! I've corrected both and re-uploaded the files.

This book is making me appreciate the Mesoamerican culture more than I have thus far.

Regards.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: March 26th, 2024, 7:33 am I appreciate the comments, mleigh.
Great catches! I've corrected both and re-uploaded the files.

This book is making me appreciate the Mesoamerican culture more than I have thus far.

Regards.
Both chapters are now PL OK.

I am also finding this work interesting. Some of it I remember from my Latin American history coursework and some is completely new to me. I am looking forward to the chapters on the Maya. They, and the Inca, have always fascinated me. I am glad to see the author is going to discuss Tikal. I really enjoyed my day there, much more authentic than Chichen Itza, and it is easy to see that once abandoned it was easy to become "lost".
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Hello Mleigh, two more sections are walking in: S04-S05.

Through them, I have learned a bit more about Mayan astronomy and math.

At section 5, I have skipped Permutation Table on page 114 as I see no relevance, and rather confusion, in an audiobook.

Regards.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: March 29th, 2024, 3:45 pm Hello Mleigh, two more sections are walking in: S04-S05.

At section 5, I have skipped Permutation Table on page 114 as I see no relevance, and rather confusion, in an audiobook.

Regards.
The only thing I remember from school days regarding Mayan astronomy was their phenomenal calendar. Looking forward to learning more. Section 4 is excellent and PL OK.

I am saving 5 for tomorrow.

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: March 29th, 2024, 3:45 pm Hello Mleigh, two more sections are walking in: S04-S05.

Regards.
I don't know how I forgot to update you yesterday on section 5. That must have been a challenge to read, but nevertheless interesting.

Section 5 is PL OK.

Thanks,

M
mpinedag

Post by mpinedag »

Yes, section 5 was rather difficult, yet very interesting. :)

I have now uploaded two other sections:

S11, a short section at the end of the book

S06, a section I dreaded to read due to its complexity, although it's very thorough and detailed. The initial recorded time was 1h4m - now at just over 41m. After reading it, I felt like an "amateur professional" in Mayan calendarial and numerical systems.

It is remarkable how these peoples, a millennium ago and with the scientific limitations of their era, were able to discover and invent such advanced numerical and calendarial systems. For example, the explanation (at the 17') of how the Mayas remarkably adjusted for a leap year is very informative.

I hope that you enjoy this reading as much as I did - in spite of the large effort... :D

Regards. Mario.
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 1st, 2024, 8:03 am Yes, section 5 was rather difficult, yet very interesting. :)

S06, a section I dreaded to read due to its complexity, although it's very thorough and detailed. The initial recorded time was 1h4m - now at just over 41m. After reading it, I felt like an "amateur professional" in Mayan calendarial and numerical systems.

It is remarkable how these peoples, a millennium ago and with the scientific limitations of their era, were able to discover and invent such advanced numerical and calendarial systems. For example, the explanation (at the 17') of how the Mayas remarkably adjusted for a leap year is very informative.

I hope that you enjoy this reading as much as I did - in spite of the large effort... :D

Regards. Mario.
Section 11 is PL OK. I hadn't realized some of those plants were American, e.g., strawberries.

Looking forward to learning about leap year. But, alas, it has to wait until tomorrow.

M
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

mpinedag wrote: April 1st, 2024, 8:03 am Yes, section 5 was rather difficult, yet very interesting. :)

Regards. Mario.
Section 6 was definitely a challenge to listen to. All those date calculations. Their calendar was just amazing as to how accurate it was. But is also seems difficult to use, to my untrained eye. I also had not known that the codices dealt primarily with the calendar. I find the Mayan civilization fascinating. That is why I dragged my husband to Tikal while we were in Belize for a scuba trip.

Anyway, to finally get to the point, this is PL OK. Well done with such a challenging section. :D :clap:

Thanks,

M