pain and cable

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

OK I apologize for the worst quasi-biblical pun of all time.

In my case my crime that deserves eternal punishment was to leave my LG monitor screen's base on my XLR cable. I didn't see this for a few weeks. By then a cut, not clean through but serious, had formed in the cable's exterior material. I tested my noise floor and it was 10db worse than normal in quiet conditions. I have to assume that the damaged cable was responsible more so than anything else.

I ordered a new cable that arrived today. I didn't get the cable brand of my microphone; I gather that there's no appreciable loss of quality. I saved money and got a decent XLR cable.

I want to avoid this happening again. But my desktop set up is congested. I run my XLR cables over my desk and over the base of my monitor screen. It's hard to run them elsewhere; my desk is medium sized and in spite of using only one monitor [yes I am the last Starfighter. Everyone else uses two screens] I have a quasi pillow fort, my speakers, and some boxes/encyclopedias to support my pillows and provide more sound/echo cushioning. That doesn't leave a lot of choices for my XLR cable to go across the desk and into my audio interface.

How do people manage their cables?
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.
lightcrystal

Post by lightcrystal »

I replaced the damaged cable. I put new cable in. Then I attached some of the Rode velcros from the previous cable to be around my new cable, especially where my new cable goes over my screen stand base. That way if my cable ever goes under the stand I will know because I won't see the "Rode" velcros. You need deep strategy worthy of chess grandmasters to protect your cable.
Fan of all 80s pop music except Meatloaf.