SOLO The Golden Bough. Part VI. The Scapegoat by James Frazer -brrot

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Oh, it was so cool to hear about Befana in this context! The mix of different cultures in this part made it my favorite so far.

Here are some things to check on:

4:48 a draught of ardent spirits (draught-rhymes-with-laughed, not drought-rhymes-with-spout)
6:19 the fiends flee (not: friends)
7:18 the Shans of Southern China (not: southwestern)
9:26 German New Guinea (Guinea-rhymes-with-penny, not Guyana in South America)
10:02 embodied embodied (word repeats)
13:05 to preserve their homes from penury (the word "penury" is missing)
14:23 malignant malignant power (the word repeats)
15:05 in the twelfth month (not: the same month)
15:14 with bows of peach wood (not: blows)
15:54 infallibly killing (not: infallibility)
30:49 the ghosts had taken their leave for another year (these words were missing)
45:53 on Walpurgis Walpurgis night (the word repeats)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

All so interesting!!! I was the house of a friend from Hong Kong for Chinese New Year last week, and her family had some traditions like the ones Frazer had included in that earlier section with all the Chinese customs! And I was fascinated by all the tug-of-war practices in this section.

Here are the notes for this time (edits all good on section 5 also!)

2:27 row and racket (this is row-rhymes-with-plow, i.e. a brawl, a disturbance, not row-rhymes-with-go)
2:59 in the ensuing year (not: insuring)
4:36 as if he would run them through (i.e. to stag them with the spear; not: run through them)
8:50 that in the struggle (the phrase is repeated; the second phrase is the good one)
9:11 the weather to be expected (not: expelled)
12:01 these nat do not chuse (this is just a weird spelling of "choose")
12:51 a rainy wind (not: a rain of wind)
20:04 there will be taken through the eastern goal (these are extra words that slipped in there)
23:55 during the ensuing year (not: insuring)
26:12 in the west wall (west is missing)
28:58 against each other again and again (an "again" is missing)
39:15 new Hebrides (3 syllables: HE-bri-dees; pronunciation here:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/hebrides)
41:37 and red lead (not: leaves)
49:50 such a catastrophe (4 syllables: ca-TA-stro-phe)
52:34 of the Chamar caste (caste-rhymes-with-fast; not: chased)
54:10 propitiation of Mahadeva (Maha-deva, the Great-God; not: maha-dilla)
55:29 at Lhasa (not: a Lhasa)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

For the spotcheck in Section 6, all good except for one place where you added in the missing words, and the lead-in phrase ended up getting repeated:

31:02 after that he looked behind him and the ceremony was over after that he looked behind him and the ceremony was over

That's in section 6:
https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_06_frazer_128kb.mp3
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

That "substitute of the substitute" in Tibet was very intriguing! Just a few notes from those two new sections:

SECTION EIGHT
4:40 British North Borneo (not: New Borneo)
5:02 among the (among repeats)
7:13 by a catechist (it's a weird word: CAT-a-kist, audio: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catechist)
11:02 hautboys (pronounced: oboys, a variant spelling of oboes)
18:06 wish now to sweep the town (I heard: wish not)
28:38 his last song (not: long song)
29:28 drums and hautboys (see hautboys=oboys or oboes note above)
35:11 burning tow (this is tow-rhymes-go, not rhymes-with-cow)
36:21 why the gaol had to be raked (this is a different spelling of "jail" -- not goal; audio: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gaol)
36:48 turned upon him ("turned" repeats)
37:05 No wonder then (I heard: nowhere then)
42:37 go about the streets (extra "same" in there)
45:39 evil is prognosticated (not prognosticized)
47:31 have disburdened themselves (I heard: disturbed)

SECTION NINE
1:15 on the one hand (not: other hand)
2:17 are or were driven out (I heard: are all driven out)
4:52 they overleap the limits (I heard: overlap)
5:20 banishing evils only (I heard: not only)
niobium

Post by niobium »

new section up and a few revisions. This multi volume work is all under the shadow that an entire library could be expanded for each chapter, and actually bears little resemblance to its alleged reputation as being interpreted by colonial christian perspectives.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: February 29th, 2024, 6:10 pm new section up and a few revisions. This multi volume work is all under the shadow that an entire library could be expanded for each chapter, and actually bears little resemblance to its alleged reputation as being interpreted by colonial christian perspectives.
Just a quick note to say that I am enjoying this all very much; this weekend is busy, but I should be able to get to the new section on Sunday, and am looking forward to it.
Way back in the day I read a biography of Frazer which gave some insight into the whole Golden Bough project (and beyond); I remember really liking it when I read it a gazillion years ago:
J. G. Frazer: His Life and Work by Robert Ackerman
Might be of interest to you! :-)
niobium

Post by niobium »

that book might eventually fall into public domain in a few years so perhaps I will pick it up when that happens. I think I recall Frazer being quoted that his work was too small for his liking, which makes you wonder what gems of knowledge were cut out.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: February 29th, 2024, 6:10 pm new section up and a few revisions. This multi volume work is all under the shadow that an entire library could be expanded for each chapter, and actually bears little resemblance to its alleged reputation as being interpreted by colonial christian perspectives.
I loved the Perchta section! Especially the part about her cutting people open and replacing the contents of their stomach with flax and tow. Ouch!!! I found some pictures of Perchta masks at Wikipedia. So cool!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perchta

Just a few little things to check on in this section 10:
5:38 they were divided into two colleges (not: derived)
11:58 continually sounding and making merry (not: surrounding)
15:00 early spring the Tarahumares (an extra word "are" got added in there)
21:48 she appears in the byre (this is byre-rhymes-with-pyre, not beer; https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/byre)
21:53 the byres must be kept very clean (see previous note re: byre)
25:09 best known to us (not: to use)
27:02 teasing wayfarers (not: testing)
42:24 these and many more similar processions (not: serious possessions)

I'm excited about the next section on Greek scapegoats! I work on Aesop, and the death of Aesop at the hands of the Delphians is now interpreted by some classical scholars as a scapegoat ritual, but I don't know if that theory existed in Frazer's time or not. Thanks to you, I will find out the answer to that question soon! :-)
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

Alas, no Aesop! I was thinking the theory of Aesop-at-Delphi-as-scapegoat was a more recent theory, not one known to Frazer, but I wasn't sure until listening to this section. So, even the absence of Aesop was useful for me here. Thank you!!!

Just a few things in section 11 to fix up:

3:46 these humane precautions were a mitigation of an earlier custom (not: human precautions mitigated by)
6:21 which were impeding him (not: impending)
19:48 The Roocooyen Indians of French Guiana (not: In Roocooyen the Indians)
niobium

Post by niobium »

https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_12_frazer_128kb.mp3

working on the last chapter now. only 3 volumes left in the series
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

laurakgibbs wrote: February 25th, 2024, 9:10 pm SECTION EIGHT
4:40 British North Borneo (not: New Borneo)
5:02 among the (among repeats)
7:13 by a catechist (it's a weird word: CAT-a-kist, audio: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/catechist)
11:02 hautboys (pronounced: oboys, a variant spelling of oboes)
18:06 wish now to sweep the town (I heard: wish not)
28:38 his last song (not: long song)
29:28 drums and hautboys (see hautboys=oboys or oboes note above)
35:11 burning tow (this is tow-rhymes-go, not rhymes-with-cow)
36:21 why the gaol had to be raked (this is a different spelling of "jail" -- not goal; audio: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gaol)
36:48 turned upon him ("turned" repeats)
37:05 No wonder then (I heard: nowhere then)
42:37 go about the streets (extra "same" in there)
45:39 evil is prognosticated (not prognosticized)
47:31 have disburdened themselves (I heard: disturbed)
Yikes, something has gotten out of whack in Section 8 with the editing. I noticed that after the "11:02 hautboys" fix, the next item at 18:06 was not where it should be in the file.

So, to figure out what happened, I listened from 11:02... and things got out of whack at about the 14-minute mark:
14:00: Nabikem or Nabikim (bottom of page 204 in the book)
14:03: Annual expulsion of embodied evils among the Gypsies (bottom of page 207).

That means a couple pages got deleted in the editing process, and that has also thrown off the time-stamps for the other corrections, so I did not listen any farther for the spotcheck.

Hopefully when you add back in the missing pages (maybe you still have the old file...?), the time-stamps will line up again!

Anyway, based on whether or not you have to re-record anything, you can let me know what you need me to listen to when you upload the new file.
laurakgibbs

Post by laurakgibbs »

niobium wrote: March 15th, 2024, 6:52 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/brownrottger/goldenboughviscapegoat_12_frazer_128kb.mp3

working on the last chapter now. only 3 volumes left in the series
Wow, all that flaying was pretty grim! Ouch!

Here are the items to check on in that section:

2:49 old Franciscan monk (not: Francian)
3:21 from the ninth (not: from the month)
6:18 smelling at a nosegay (not: like a nosegay)
35:08 there they passed the night (not: pressed the night)
35:58 peppers and pumpkins with which it was strewed (not: stewed)
43:22 there is a 7-second pause that needs to be removed (do that last, because it will mess up the other timestamps)
47:48 were also a perquisite (not: prerequisite; perquisite is where we get the word "perk" in U.S. slang; I don't know if that word is used in Australia! here is perquisite pronounced: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perquisite
49:23 the earnings of these begging-friars (not: earrings)
50:02 to rid themselves of these encumbrances (not: embraces)
52:40 on his back three small paper flags (extra word "were" crept in there)