Play Suggestions

Plays and other dramatic works
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

Launched! - viewtopic.php?p=2295480#p2295480

Let me know if things look okay, Todd! Also as I said in my first post I was afraid to change the filenames without MC approval in case it messes things up but otherwise I tried to adapt the wording to suit the collection, I also don't know if it would helpful to have a list of the plays in the first post like you have for the one act plays. I also think this is a new-to-LV author, from googling (which mostly brings up this book for sale actually) I think she died in the 1930s so is safely PD but I'm not 100% sure if it's her so I left the death date blank
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I would be happy to hop on board as a PL for several sections just let me know what you need when its on the launch pad. Also happy to help with editing if needed.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

wib66 wrote: February 11th, 2024, 11:14 am I would be happy to hop on board as a PL for several sections just let me know what you need when its on the launch pad. Also happy to help with editing if needed.
Thanks for the offer to help! I'm good to handle the editing myself but if you would like to help with PLing you can claim some of the plays to DPL, you would be responsible for both parts-PL and final PL (I will mention whose DPL it is when I input the submissions to the MW). LCaulkins and alanmapstone have both taken on five each, there is a list of them with links to the specific plays in the first post and the DPL is noted so just choose five (or however many you want) of the ones still free that you'd like to DPL and I'll add you in
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

I am considering a project to record Don Carlos by Schiller. However I think it is too big an editing job for me to take on myself at present. So I will only do it if I have a commitment from someone to edit it when the time comes (it may be a long project).
I will BC and DPL both parts and final edits.

There are 2 possible scripts:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/6789/6789-h/6789-h.htm#link2H_4_0001

https://archive.org/details/doncarlosatrage00schigoog

The Gutenberg text follows the German original more closely but has a lot of minor characters and extra scenes and so would be a bigger job. The Archive text is an adaptation for the English stage and simplifies the plot and removes a lot of minor characters, including reducing the key role of the Grand Inquisitor to just a few lines. But it would be a bit easier to organise and edit. I would happy to discuss the choice of text with any potential editor (or MC).
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Inkell

Post by Inkell »

alanmapstone wrote: February 19th, 2024, 8:46 am I am considering a project to record Don Carlos by Schiller. However I think it is too big an editing job for me to take on myself at present. So I will only do it if I have a commitment from someone to edit it when the time comes (it may be a long project).

There are 2 possible scripts:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/6789/6789-h/6789-h.htm#link2H_4_0001

https://archive.org/details/doncarlosatrage00schigoog

The Gutenberg text follows the German original more closely but has a lot of minor characters and extra scenes and so would be a bigger job. The Archive text is an adaptation for the English stage and simplifies the plot and removes a lot of minor characters, including reducing the key role of the Grand Inquisitor to just a few lines. But it would be a bit easier to organise and edit. I would happy to discuss the choice of text with any potential editor (or MC).
I might be willing to edit that for you, Alan
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Inkell wrote: February 19th, 2024, 11:32 am
alanmapstone wrote: February 19th, 2024, 8:46 am I am considering a project to record Don Carlos by Schiller. However I think it is too big an editing job for me to take on myself at present. So I will only do it if I have a commitment from someone to edit it when the time comes (it may be a long project).
I might be willing to edit that for you, Alan
Thanks Inkell, I will keep your offer in mind if and when I decide to do this. It may not be for a while as I have other plays in mind as well.

EDIT: This has now been launched!
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Here's one that could be fun for the One-Act Play collection:
https://archive.org/details/WeirdTalesV07N01192601/page/n61/mode/2up

The Avenger by H. Thompson Rich... Is this the only play ever featured in Weird Tales magazine?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

There are some short plays (3-4 pages) in Dialogues for rural schools for all ages.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 94% 3 left!
PL pls: DPL 43 27-28
prosfilaes

Post by prosfilaes »

This is one of my favorite works, and I think there's a good argument for being one of the more popular English works Librivox hasn't got to yet. It's got all the wit and humor, combined with cutting social satire of George Bernard Shaw's better works. It's in modern English, and it's also copyright-free pretty much world-round, as GBS died in 1950. There's a much longer preface separated out by Project Gutenberg and probably best done as a separate project.

I'm not going to do it myself, but I think if someone is looking for a medium-sized dramatic work (it runs to 50 pages), this could be a good one to take up.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/4003
OjoTheLucky

Post by OjoTheLucky »

Since it’s currently public domain in the US, how about Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up (1904, 1928) by J. M. Barrie? It’s available to read on the Internet Archive here.
"Never question the truth of what you fail to understand, for the world is filled with wonders."
L. Frank Baum

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, and never a second-rate version of someone else."
Judy Garland
Salvationist

Post by Salvationist »

OjoTheLucky wrote: March 15th, 2024, 6:07 pm Since it’s currently public domain in the US, how about Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up (1904, 1928) by J. M. Barrie? It’s available to read on the Internet Archive here.
That’s a great idea! I’m surprised that this play is not yet in the LibriVox catalogue. I would love to read a role if anyone decides to BC this play.
Salvationist

Current focus: Acadia, The Watsons, and Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The Peter Pan play will as British Law stands never come out of copyright in the UK. The royalties were donated in perpetuity to the Great Ormond Children's Hospital
The copyright first expired in the UK (and the rest of Europe) in 1987, 50 years after Barrie’s death. However, former Prime Minister Lord Callaghan successfully proposed an amendment to the Copyright Designs and Patents Act (CDPA) of 1988, giving Great Ormond Street Hospital the unique right to royalties from stage performances of Peter Pan (and any adaptation of the play) as well as from publications, audio books, ebooks,radio broadcasts and films of the story of Peter Pan, in perpetuity.
Anne
OjoTheLucky

Post by OjoTheLucky »

Salvationist wrote: March 15th, 2024, 6:16 pm That’s a great idea! I’m surprised that this play is not yet in the LibriVox catalogue. I would love to read a role if anyone decides to BC this play.
I would like to read Mr. Darling and Captain Hook’s lines. I can do a good British impression, and can do a decent impression of Cyril Ritchard’s Mr. Darling/Captain Hook for the role, if impressions are allowed (and everyone involved with the reading could do an impression of their character from a certain stage or screen adaptation of the 1904 play and 1911 book as part of the reading—or just their own interpretation if they’re unable to do impressions).
"Never question the truth of what you fail to understand, for the world is filled with wonders."
L. Frank Baum

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, and never a second-rate version of someone else."
Judy Garland
OjoTheLucky

Post by OjoTheLucky »

annise wrote: March 15th, 2024, 6:23 pm The Peter Pan play will as British Law stands never come out of copyright in the UK. The royalties were donated in perpetuity to the Great Ormond Children's Hospital
True, though I’ve heard that the UK rights will be held by GOSH as long as the hospital is around.
L. Frank Baum

Judy Garland
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

For a course I'm planning on running, I have been looking for different versions of Amphitryon. We have the Plautus and Moliere versions, and I have found a version by Dryden (with F's for S's and music by Purcell) and another by Heywood (part of a pair of plays called the Golden Age, The Silver age - which is the Amphitryon - and supposedly The Bronze and Iron Ages too.)

(Note - there is a 1929 version called "Amphitryon 38" - that being how many versions the author thought there were at that point. The English translation is not PD yet, sadly.)

https://archive.org/details/bim_eighteenth-century_amphitryon-or-the-two-_dryden-john_1771/page/n1/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/goldenandsilver01heywgoog/page/n104/mode/2up

So I'll be starting these at some point this spring, I hope. (Along with more Pinero, Plautus, Cowley, Centlivre, and ....)

Thanks, Todd