[SOLO] Rough Talks by a Padre by G. A. Studdert Kennedy (A.K.A Woodbine Willie) - dc

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Steve

Post by Steve »

Rough Talks by a Padre by Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy (1883 - 1929)
Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy MC was an ordained Anglican priest, who in the early stages of World War I volunteered for duty as a chaplain to the British army on the Western Front.

Studdert Kennedy was one of the most well known and highly respected chaplains of the First World War, who though himself unarmed, accompanied the British troops into battle at the front line to provide whatever help he could to lessen their suffering and to raise their morale.

He was soon widely known by his nom de guerre ‘Woodbine Willie’. This nickname was acquired from his practice of handing out (at his own expense) cigarettes along with any spiritual comfort required or maybe just a friendly word as he shared experiences with the men in the trenches.

In 1917, he was awarded the Military Cross (one of the military’s highest awards) for “showing conspicuous gallantry, devotion to duty and the greatest courage and disregard for his own safety in attending to the wounded under heavy fire” during action at Messines Ridge having selflessly entered no-man's land to help the wounded of both sides during an attack on the German frontline.

This book, Rough Talks of a Padre, was derived from a series of lectures delivered by Studdert Kennedy to officers and men in almost every part of France. And as the author notes in the book’s foreword: ‘They are lectures not essays, and are therefore often loose and colloquial in style’, and are based on his personal reflections of reconciling his requirement to provide moral, spiritual and pastoral leadership to the troops in his ‘parish’ with the necessary day to day survival of them all as a fighting military unit. (Summary by Steve C)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89099997611&seq=1

Target completion date: 2025-03-31

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book: religion, WWI, memoirs, war, military, First World War, Army, World War, minister, the great war, british army, chaplain, woodbine willie, padre

========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Front Matter of Rough Talks by a Padre" This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

Say: "Rough Talks by a Padre by Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy (more commonly known as Woodbine Willie). [Front Matter]"

At the end of the section, say: "End of [Front Matter]"
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section [number] of Rough Talks by a Padre" by Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

Only if applicable, say:

"Section [number] - Title - Part [number]"
End of recording:

Say:
"End of [Section ##]"
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Rough Talks by a Padre by Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy (more commonly known as Woodbine Willie)"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: roughtalksbypadre_##_studdertkennedy_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. roughtalksbypadre_01_studdertkennedy_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: craigdav1

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
Last edited by Steve on March 13th, 2024, 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Craigdav1 has kindly agreed to MC & DPL this project.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Dave

I have made some edits & corrections to the project summary after generating the original project code - I think that you might need to check this in the database?

Also, could you link the name: Woodbine Willie to Geoffrey Anketell Studdert Kennedy? As far as I have determined, Studdert Kennedy doesn't appear to have authored any works under the pseudonym 'Woodbine Willie' but he is much more commonly known under this nickname.

Thanks

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I copied the book description from the first post in this thread and used it to update the book description on the Project Screen page (used at cataloging).
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I am asking my fellow admins about the use of nicknames in the author database and will get back to you on this issue.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Studdert Kennedy doesn't appear to have authored any works under the pseudonym 'Woodbine Willie' but he is much more commonly known under this nickname.
Added.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for setting up the MW & for sorting out the issues on the summary change & pseudonym question.

I have made a slight change to the printed title of chapter 1 (section 1) shown on the contents page (P15) & the first page of that chapter (P17).

The chapter title is printed as What the - - is the Church doing Here? - I have revised this to What The Bloody Hell Is The Church Doing Here?

Since this significant question is printed in full several times throughout the book and in particular at the bottom of P24 of chapter 1, I thought "Bloody Hell!" I'll use that instead of saying 'What the blank blank is the Church ... etc" all the time!

This will hopefully prepare our listeners for some of the other profanity that they'll encounter at different times in the recording! :wink:

For a vicar, Studdert Kennedy certainly had a unique way with words!

Hope that this will be OK?

Also, Sections 0 & 1 have been uploaded.

Thanks

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving topic to Going Solo forum.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

0 PL OK!
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

I am inclined to handle the situation differently. Rather than say "bloody hell" where "-------" is indicated in the text, I would have 0.9s of silence (which is how long it takes to say bloody hell). There is a certain drama with not saying it until well into the chapter, and even not saying it after having already said it. This also fits in well with our motto of "read it as written." I agree with how you handled the other situations.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:06 pm 1
I am inclined to handle the situation differently ...
Thanks for your advice on that question - I've reworked section 1 and have uploaded the new version (and amended time in MW).

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

1 PL OK!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the PL on 0 & 1 - Section 2 now uploaded.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

2 PL OK!